Old st. john on death row

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
What a fuckin tune!
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Thanks for that link, I'll have to see these guys live!
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    allornone wrote:
    Thanks for that link, I'll have to see these guys live!
    oh you must!! it's an awesome show.

they're playing in columbia on saturday....it would be well worth the drive if you're able :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • I'd forgotten I even started this thread.. it ended up in the right forum as well.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know mark.. i am loving your love for cold war kids atm. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • you know mark.. i am loving your love for cold war kids atm. :)

They are awesome... but they need a new album! :)

• cold war kids??
    I admit it...what's to say......
    I'll relive it...without pain......
    Backstreet lover on the side of the road
    I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
  • cold war kids??
    I admit it...what's to say......
    I'll relive it...without pain......
    Backstreet lover on the side of the road
    I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
  • cold war kids??

Yes... cold war kids :)

they have a new song up on their myspace page...pretty good.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    word!
    iamsampj wrote:
    where?
  • Pegasus wrote:
    where?

bottom of the song list? Is that new?

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    iamsampj wrote:
    They played 2 or 3 new songs at the Wiltern show (Heavy Boots was one) and they sounded pretty damed good. You could hear the progression of their sound but the sound was still all CWK!

A new album from them can't get here soon enough.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    newer than anything else, though i think they've been playing it live for quite awhile...i vaguely remember hearing it way back in march, i could be very wrong on that one!

i'm so excited for a new album...but i wouldn't be too upset if i have to wait a bit for one. they have a lot to live up to, so i want them to take their time. their just way too good!!
  • good stuff... is it just me or does this guy sound exactly like Jack White?
  • good stuff... is it just me or does this guy sound exactly like Jack White?

I don't know about that, but when I first heard them I thought they sounded like a cooler version of Maroon 5 :D

• I don't know about that, but when I first heard them I thought they sounded like a cooler version of Maroon 5 :D

I decided he was a mix of Jack White, Maroon Five Singer, and a little bit of the Killers singer...

Either way... a great voice

I'm loving Hang Me Up To Dry right now... amazing song
  • I decided he was a mix of Jack White, Maroon Five Singer, and a little bit of the Killers singer...

Either way... a great voice

I'm loving Hang Me Up To Dry right now... amazing song

Yep.

nope, heard it plenty before...it's actually an older one, from the Mulberry Street EP.

they played a new one at Shepherds Bush in October... was ok.. (I was supposed to record the show but I fucked up so I don't have it..got the Koko one from earlier this year, not very good quality though, was my first attempt with a mic..mind subsequent ones didn't work any better, but then a PJ mosh pit ain't the best spot for taping ;))
    Pegasus wrote:
    nope, heard it plenty before...it's actually an older one, from the Mulberry Street EP.

they played a new one at Shepherds Bush in October... was ok.. (I was supposed to record the show but I fucked up so I don't have it..got the Koko one from earlier this year, not very good quality though, was my first attempt with a mic..mind subsequent ones didn't work any better, but then a PJ mosh pit ain't the best spot for taping ;))
    thanks for the correction...guess it was new to me. i don't have any of the ep's!
  • Yep.

Sometimes I can even hear some Brendan Benson, Thome Yorke, or the OAR singer in his voice... He has one of the best voices I've ever heard... Can't enough of Robbers and Cowards...
    just received this in their newsletter:
    FREE Unreleased "Mulberry Street" EP
    Cold War Kids recorded three 6 song EPs before releasing "Robbers & Cowards." The first of the three EPs is called "Mulberry Street." It was recorded in a day in M. Wignall's garage/studio for some design job favors from Maust and sixty bucks. In between takes, Wignall would play an album over the speakers, like Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" or Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush," and go on long rants, pointing out sounds and talking about how good these musicians were and how we would be lucky if in ten years we could play a song anywhere near this good. We thought "Who cares! We just want to record our songs for us!" Then he showed us how to record vocals while he went to mow the lawn.

Starting tomorrow, Wednesday Dec 12, RCRDLBL.com will be offering up for completely free and legal download two tracks from the previously-unreleased EP every day this week thru Friday. Download the songs from RCRD LBL here. We hope you enjoy it.

-Nathan Willett
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    What a fuckin tune!
    indeed. the first two songs, st. john, hospital beds, and rubidoux are f'n great.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli