A strange pull towards 50's music

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I'm experiencing a strange pull towards 50's music lately; it's strange. Most of it has very happy-sounding music offset by darker, more melancholy lyrics, and I like the irony. I think it all started by the fact that I liked PJ's 'teenage death song' Last Kiss.

Am I going nuts?

Anyone else have a strange affinity for 50's music? If you can recommend me some, go for it.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm experiencing a strange pull towards 50's music lately; it's strange. Most of it has very happy-sounding music offset by darker, more melancholy lyrics, and I like the irony. I think it all started by the fact that I liked PJ's 'teenage death song' Last Kiss.

Am I going nuts?

Anyone else have a strange affinity for 50's music? If you can recommend me some, go for it.

Only 50's music i greatly enjoy is Jazz. Glad you are getting into some different music.

It is strange to listen to those tunes from the 40's 50's and such and think that was what was popular. Kind of makes you think how popular music may change in another 60 years. Is it possible rock will be dead or morphed so much it won't sound anything like what we know and love now?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    That's all i listened to when i was growing up. My dad looooves the oldies. Don't listen to em much anymore but i know all the songs :)
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jazz is shite... most 50's stuff is shite

try listening to some Son House my man ;) :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262

Am I going nuts?

I've been meaning to pick up this collection for some time:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockin-Bones-1950s-Punk-Rockabilly/dp/B000FOQ0JG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0041556-3185723?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180013741&sr=8-1

Great comment about the lyrics being offset by the music, definetely what catches my ear in early rock too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    I think it all started by the fact that I liked PJ's 'teenage death song' Last Kiss.

are you CRAZY ?!?!?!

:P

( it was ironic of course, it is a great cover )
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I went through a little kick a few months before Avocado came out where I listened to a lot of Bobby Darin, Dion, Paul Anka, Beach boys, Dean Martin, and Sinatra. It's fun to explore that stuff.

Now I'm stuck in the weird 70's, like Jerry Rafferty.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I love the saying, 'Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything'.

He's the King.
    I love to turn you on
    I love the saying, 'Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything'.

He's the King.

Except for all those guys singing the blues ;)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Except for all those guys singing the blues ;)

Oh Yeah! Don't you just love listening to old school blues stations??? Can't get enough! My little office here sounds like a bar everyday!
    I love to turn you on
    Oh Yeah! Don't you just love listening to old school blues stations??? Can't get enough! My little office here sounds like a bar everyday!

i do like the blues. i usually don't know the name of half the guys i hear but it is good. Espcially on a hot summer day.

Their is a GREAT rib shack that has the best BBQ ribs i've ever had here in Atlanta called Fat Matts. on friday and saturday night they always have a guy in there playingthe blues. They also have a guy in there saturday afternoon. It is one of my favorite meals to get for lunch after a friday night. some great old school blues and delicious ribs.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I still listen to a lot of Buddy Holly, if that counts.
    :)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    intodeep wrote:
    i do like the blues. i usually don't know the name of half the guys i hear but it is good. Espcially on a hot summer day.

Their is a GREAT rib shack that has the best BBQ ribs i've ever had here in Atlanta called Fat Matts. on friday and saturday night they always have a guy in there playingthe blues. They also have a guy in there saturday afternoon. It is one of my favorite meals to get for lunch after a friday night. some great old school blues and delicious ribs.

Sounds like my kind of place!

If you have it, check out the Sirius Blues channel...great stuff! And you can learn the names!

There's a spot in Hartford called Black Eyed Sally's which has live blues all the time and has a cajun bbq menu. The other gem of the northeast is a spot called the Dinosaur BBQ, which is in Syracuse, Rochester, and now NYC. Awesome bbq grub, caters specifically to the Harley Davidson (and no other bike) crowd, and Blues lovers. Too bad I live nowhere near these places!
    I love to turn you on
    Sounds like my kind of place!

If you have it, check out the Sirius Blues channel...great stuff! And you can learn the names!

There's a spot in Hartford called Black Eyed Sally's which has live blues all the time and has a cajun bbq menu. The other gem of the northeast is a spot called the Dinosaur BBQ, which is in Syracuse, Rochester, and now NYC. Awesome bbq grub, caters specifically to the Harley Davidson (and no other bike) crowd, and Blues lovers. Too bad I live nowhere near these places!

i've actually heard of Dinosaur BBQ before but i've never been.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

Am I going nuts?

I'm a big Buddy Holly fan. :)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

Am I going nuts?

Rick Nelson is a great listen!