Radiohead are creeping up on me

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited August 2007 in Other Music
For years and years I have thought Radiohead were 'just OK', but recently I've started to realise they are geniuses.

A mate of mine played me 'Kid A' the other night. I'd never heard it, but I'd heard people slate it. I loved it and I've been hooked on Radiohead ever since.

Radiohead reminds me of sitting in a big comfy puffy arm chair in a mate's house, drunk after a party at 3 in the morning and you're too comfy to go home. Beautiful.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Everyone on mortegi tempo is talking about the new album.. apparently there's a release date but I've no earthly idea what it is...

anyone know?

Oh and yes, brilliant band. One of the greatest. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I get all my radiohead news from this site. They have info on the new album

http://www.ateaseweb.com
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Welcome to the last 10 years. Better late than never I suppose.
  • No new album until 08 according to Pitchfork today...
  • cc10106 wrote:
    Welcome to the last 10 years. Better late than never I suppose.

Read my post, smartass. I was well aware of Radiohead, just found them relatively bland until recently.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • No new album until 08 according to Pitchfork today...

yeah. that really blows. it's been over four years :(
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • For years and years I have thought Radiohead were 'just OK', but recently I've started to realise they are geniuses.

A mate of mine played me 'Kid A' the other night. I'd never heard it, but I'd heard people slate it. I loved it and I've been hooked on Radiohead ever since.

Radiohead reminds me of sitting in a big comfy puffy arm chair in a mate's house, drunk after a party at 3 in the morning and you're too comfy to go home. Beautiful.

i love radiohead and i discovered them in a cool way. the first album i listened to was the bends. i loved it so i bought pablo honey and it was similar. then i just went chronologically, ok computer, kid a, amnesiac, hail to the thief. i was really able to get a sense of their sound progressing and it was so cool. i love all of their albums for different reasons. their live stuff is great too. one of my favorite bands...
  • i don't enjoy their first two albums... but i love them from ok computer and onward.... they're one of my favorite bands as well.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I love Climbing up the Walls, and that's one of the only songs I know by them, besides the really famous ones.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Paranoid Android is one of the greatest songs ever written :)

I love the Hail to The Thief album which not many people liked... i think 2+2=5 is a fucking great song...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
    Has anyone heard any songs off of the album that is in the works? I love their first three albums - Bends is probably my favorite album by any artist not named Pearl Jam - and like Kid A, but everything since hasn't really been my cup of tea. I'm interested to know if the new stuff will sounds more like the last few albums or their earlier work. They seem talented enough that they could come out with something that takes things in a completely new direction and is still great.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    thunderDAN wrote:

glad to see fellow pj fans who frequent this site. I've yet to check it out in a few weeks. what's great is they'll have the links to new w.a.s.t.e. stuff, including pre-sale info. That's how I scored tix to the greek theater show last year! good stuff.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Read my post, smartass. I was well aware of Radiohead, just found them relatively bland until recently.

I did read your post, dumbass (you had to resort to name calling). It read that you just recently listened to Kid A for the first time. Well, that was released in 2000, like 7 years ago. That was what my smart little joke was referring to. Anyway, lighten up mate. Perhaps next time I'll use a :) or whatever to communicate that better. Regardless, glad you found interest in such an amazing, original, and talented band. I'm kind of jealous actually in that I wish I could re-live listening and immersing myself into their work for the first time. I still listen to them, just not as frequently. Go see them live if you get any chance, it's well worth any price.
  • anyway...

I love the guitar player... the way he plays.

Beautifully written lyrics, I think.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    thunderDAN wrote:

:)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    I once read in an article (paraphrase) that radiohead is the only band that challenges their fans to hate their next cd. Then after they "get it", they realize it's genius. I was always a fan of this band, but never really "got them" until about 3 or 4 years ago. Since that time they have become my 2nd favourite band of all time (moving just slightly ahead of PJ (sorry)).
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    leafs4ever wrote:
    I once read in an article (paraphrase) that radiohead is the only band that challenges their fans to hate their next cd. Then after they "get it", they realize it's genius. I was always a fan of this band, but never really "got them" until about 3 or 4 years ago. Since that time they have become my 2nd favourite band of all time (moving just slightly ahead of PJ (sorry)).

I don't know how that will work with LP7, considering we've heard pretty much everything that could be on it (from the last tour.) All that's left is hearing it produced, which is what I'm excited about. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    leafs4ever wrote:
    I once read in an article (paraphrase) that radiohead is the only band that challenges their fans to hate their next cd. Then after they "get it", they realize it's genius.

not to be a dick, but that ^^^ is pure fucking bullshit. radiohead's albums are in no degree what so ever more challenging than pearl jam's albums (for instance).

moving from guitar to electronica - so what?

neither kid a nor amnesiac is as challenging as riot act or binaural. Btw, Radiohead has been my 2nd fav band for a very long time, but this constant fucking "genius talk" surrounding thom yorke and radiohead is totally over hyped.

i can almost guarantee you that Ed's solo album will blow Yorke's "the eraser" out of the water.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Radiohead is the new Nirvana in terms of the critics blowing their load on anything this band attempt - whether deserved of all the praise or not - it is ridiculous.

this coming from a big radiohead fan, but common....seriously ;)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    bring it on
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick