What is Tom Waits' weirdest album, and why?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I'm just interested in having opinions. I'm trying to increase my Tom Waits collection. Thanks.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Probably Swordfishtrombones and then Bone Machine. Real Gone is pretty out there as well. has a lot of the "bastard" songs.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Probably Swordfishtrombones and then Bone Machine. Real Gone is pretty out there as well. has a lot of the "bastard" songs.

How many of the 'Orphans' songs are brand-new? Is it like a Lost Dogs?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

How many of the 'Orphans' songs are brand-new? Is it like a Lost Dogs?
    24 are old unreleased/rare songs and ones that Tom wrote for other people (Down there by the train was given to Johnny Cash for example).

30 songs are new.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    24 are old unreleased/rare songs and ones that Tom wrote for other people (Down their by the train was given to Johnny Cash for example).

30 songs are new.

Ah, OK.. pretty amazing collection, even if it was all b-sides.

I have no idea why songs like Never Let Go, Down There by the Train, Long Way Home and You Can Never Hold Back Spring didn't make it on to studio albums. Amazing stuff.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I have no idea why songs like Never Let Go, Down There by the Train, Long Way Home and You Can Never Hold Back Spring didn't make it on to studio albums. Amazing stuff.

Completely.

• Sod Tom Waits. Get Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart, and you'll have the real thing, right there. ;)
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    By far the greatest living American songwriter. The dude is a f**kin' genius.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Sod Tom Waits. Get Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart, and you'll have the real thing, right there. ;)
    Fins, everytime you say this you fail to realise that you can like both :)

also, Waits isn't just about the banging on animal skeletons and singing about Filipino Box-Spring Hogs. He has some nice songs too. Even the Don's most normal songs always seem to be a bit unhinged.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

also, Waits isn't just about the banging on animal skeletons and singing about Filipino Box-Spring Hogs. He has some nice songs too. Even the Don's most normal songs always seem to be a bit unhinged.

Nope, I realise I can like both, like a happily married liberal democrat can enjoy sticking his arse out of a bush on Hampstead Heath late on a Sunday night. However, I'm of the sensible, Van Vliet persuasion. One doesn't go rain dogging. ;)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

I haven't heard much Beefheart but if it's just weird for weirdness' sake I'm not really interested. Tom Waits is weird but entirely authentic and heart-felt.

• I haven't heard much Beefheart but if it's just weird for weirdness' sake I'm not really interested. Tom Waits is weird but entirely authentic and heart-felt.

It's not weird. It's completely normal. It's the world around it that's crazy. ;)
    Nope, I realise I can like both, like a happily married liberal democrat can enjoy sticking his arse out of a bush on Hampstead Heath late on a Sunday night. However, I'm of the sensible, Van Vliet persuasion. One doesn't go rain dogging. ;)
    I have never understood the accusation that Waits is just Vliet-light. If he was ripping off Beefheart, would he not have done it when Beefheart was at his peak in terms of appreciation and influence? Waits' early stuff is nowt like Beefheart and on his more experimental album he doesn't seem to tread any stagnant ground. There doesn't have to be just the one musician in each style :) Besides, I have about 15 Beefheart albums and enjoy them but would rather listen to Waits almost every time. I prefer Waits' ballads to his jukejoint stompy songs anyways. The gravel voice allows him to get so close to cheese without ever crossing the line :p you wouldn't see a song like Hold On cropping up on easy listening compilations would you?
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I have never understood the accusation that Waits is just Vliet-light. If he was ripping off Beefheart, would he not have done it when Beefheart was at his peak in terms of appreciation and influence? Waits' early stuff is nowt like Beefheart and on his more experimental album he doesn't seem to tread any stagnant ground. There doesn't have to be just the one musician in each style :) Besides, I have about 15 Beefheart albums and enjoy them but would rather listen to Waits almost every time. I prefer Waits' ballads to his jukejoint stompy songs anyways. The gravel voice allows him to get so close to cheese without ever crossing the line :p you wouldn't see a song like Hold On cropping up on easy listening compilations would you?

'Hold On' is a lovely song.. my ears find it very easy to listen to. :p

'Hold On' is a lovely song.. my ears find it very easy to listen to. :p
    I know but what I mean is, even though it is a nice ballad, it is still Tom Waits and still has his voice so it's never going to sound cheesy is it? :)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I know but what I mean is, even though it is a nice ballad, it is still Tom Waits and still has his voice so it's never going to sound cheesy is it? :)

True.. I'd actually love Tom Waits to record an album of the cheesiest songs he knows and transform them. I reckon the alternative music world would cream all over it. :D

True.. I'd actually love Tom Waits to record an album of the cheesiest songs he knows and transform them. I reckon the alternative music world would cream all over it. :D
    Oh my god, that's a brilliant idea. I'd kill to hear:

Wham - Last Christmas
    Cyndi Lauper - True Colours
    Diamonds and Pearls - Prince
    Cry Me a River - Justin Timberlake

Just for a start.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh my god, that's a brilliant idea. I'd kill to hear:

Wham - Last Christmas
    Cyndi Lauper - True Colours
    Diamonds and Pearls - Prince
    Cry Me a River - Justin Timberlake

Just for a start.

Cry me a River would be so awesome, especially if the drums were beat-boxed! Wow this might go in the 'What made my day' thread.

Cry me a River would be so awesome, especially if the drums were beat-boxed! Wow this might go in the 'What made my day' thread.
    Well yeah, Waits does do some beatboxing so I reckon he would :)

He could do the Waits falsetto that he does in Dirt in the Ground. That would be magic.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Well yeah, Waits does do some beatboxing so I reckon he would :)

He could do the Waits falsetto that he does in Dirt in the Ground. That would be magic.

Yeah I know about the beatboxing ;).. I'm thinking 'Cry me a river' over the top of beat-boxing a la 'Big in Japan'. W00t!

Yeah I know about the beatboxing ;).. I'm thinking 'Cry me a river' over the top of beat-boxing a la 'Big in Japan'. W00t!
    As long as he doesn't get the guys from Primus to back him like he does in the Big in Japan style songs. I don't know why but their sound annoys me :) The Rain Dogs band would've done a better job of Big in Japan.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    As long as he doesn't get the guys from Primus to back him like he does in the Big in Japan style songs. I don't know why but their sound annoys me :) The Rain Dogs band would've done a better job of Big in Japan.

Hmmm... what bothers you about it? Mule Variations is a pretty fucking amazing album to my ears.

Hmmm... what bothers you about it? Mule Variations is a pretty fucking amazing album to my ears.
    Oh I love Mule Variations and I like Big in Japan, it's just something about Primus... I dunno. The songs on that album without Brain Mantia, Claypool and Lalonde are far superior to the ones with them in my opinion.

Having said that, Claypool's bass on Earth Died Screaming from Bone Machine is very cool.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh I love Mule Variations and I like Big in Japan, it's just something about Primus... I dunno. The songs on that album without Brain Mantia, Claypool and Lalonde are far superior to the ones with them in my opinion.

Having said that, Claypool's bass on Earth Died Screaming from Bone Machine is very cool.

I haven't really heard Primus so I guess I was immune to the annoying-ness.... which is not even a word.

I haven't really heard Primus so I guess I was immune to the annoying-ness.... which is not even a word.
    Now THEY really are just weird for the sake of it. And not half as funny as they think they are.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Now THEY really are just weird for the sake of it. And not half as funny as they think they are.

I'll give them a miss then, thanks. :p

• Real Gone is for me the weirdest album...but i really love it :D

I have to agree I like his early stuff better, but lately he's been doing so many GREAT songs How's it gonna end, Misery is the river of the world which by the way Blood Money together with Alice are in my opinion kind of underrated, but everything pales in comparison with Orphans or Mule Variations (Masterpieces) :o

Hail, hail to Mr. Waits!!!
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
    Real Gone is for me the weirdest album...but i really love it :D

I have to agree I like his early stuff better, but lately his been doing so many GREAT songs How's it gonna end, Misery is the river of the world which by the way Blood Money together with Alice are in my opinion kind of underrated, but everything pales in comparison with Orphans or Mule Variations (Masterpieces) :o

Hail, hail to Mr. Waits!!!
    Alice is VERY underrated. Terrific album. Blood Money and Real Gone are great too but Alice is definitely the best album he has made since Mule Variations.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I have never understood the accusation that Waits is just Vliet-light. If he was ripping off Beefheart, would he not have done it when Beefheart was at his peak in terms of appreciation and influence?

Nah, he wouldn't have dared. :D
    Nah, he wouldn't have dared. :D
    I reckon the Captain would've been flattered and would have forced him to join the Magic Band. Yes, FORCED. I hear he was funny that way.