Drive By Truckers

UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
edited June 2006 in Other Music
OK... so here's a question:

I'm a massive Skynyrd fan, love the Black Crowes, Lizzy, Who, Stones etc so DBT sounded like a must investigate...

I bought Southern Rock Opera and it's good but I'm not blown away by it, how does it compare to the other albums??
Astoria Crew
Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
Katowice, Wembley 07
SBE, Manchester, O2 09
Hyde Park 10
Manchester 1&2 12
This is just g'bye for now...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I love SRO, but it's not as good as their 2004 album, The Dirty South. I also recommend checking out Decoration Day and their new album, A Blessing and a Curse. Excellent band!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    To be fair I've only listened to it twice... got it yesterday... and it normally takes a while for me to get into an album fully... first listen preferred Act II, second listen Act I... :confused::o
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Southern Rock Opera takes a little more to get into then some of the other albums, a few more slower, introspective songs. But there are plenty of classics on it too. The sound changes a bit on the albums after this (Decoration Day, Dirty South, Blessing and a Curse) with the addition of Jason Isbell as a 3rd vocalist/guitarist. A more consistent 'heavy, southern' sound on those. Dirty South would be a great disc to get next.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Decoration Day and The Dirty South were easier to get into for me.

That Isbell can write a damn good song.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    On early listening it's tracks like:

Ronnie & Neil, 72, The Southern Thing, Zip City, Women Without Whiskey, Cassie's Brother, Life In The Factory, Greenville To Baton Rouge, Angels And Fuselage

that are getting my attention...

OK Dirty South next then :D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    gotta get the Dirty South.

I love the first song it makes me want to drink straight whiskey out of the bottle and raise hell all night.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    UKDave wrote:
    Zip City

"...but you're only 15 girl...you ain't got no secretary and 'for granted's a mighty big word for a country girl like you..."

I dig that song a lot.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Get Decoration Day, it's the best album they have made. ;)
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Yeah...we've talked these guys to death on here... DD and DS are the landmark albums for these guys...

While I've got your attention though, check out Slobberbone. DBT talks these guys up a lot and I just gave their first album CROW POT PIE (1996) a try... excellent southern rock...if you like DBT, you'll like these guys...

They have since broken up, but most of the band is resurfacing in a new band called THE DRAMS, who will be releasing an album later this year - very excited...
    NakedClown wrote:
    Check out Slobberbone

Funny you should mention these guys...someone suggested them to me a few weeks back...I downloaded a couple tunes off iTunes.

PBM

• NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Funny you should mention these guys...someone suggested them to me a few weeks back...I downloaded a couple tunes off iTunes.

PBM

I've only listened to Crow Pot Pie... songs like Stumblin', Little Sister, Tilta-Whirl, Dunk you in the River and Sober Song are hitting the perfect chord with me right now...

What else do you suggest?
    NakedClown wrote:

Just what was suggested to me:

Meltdown & Lumberlung

PBM

I've got a number of Slobberbone boots, but no studio recordings. Those boys love their Neil Young covers live. Play a mean 'Big Time'.

Saw DBT last Saturday as part of the Black Crowes/RRFB/DBT tour. Excellent show, DBT kicked ass. Much too short of a set though. Really got the crowd going with 'Let There Be Rock'.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

NakedClown wrote:
    I've only listened to Crow Pot Pie... songs like Stumblin', Little Sister, Tilta-Whirl, Dunk you in the River and Sober Song are hitting the perfect chord with me right now...

Stumblin', Little Sister, Tilta-Whirl....

any of those covers? all song titles already used...

Tilta-Whirl is an unusual one to come up twice - Masters Of Reality did a track called that on Sunrise...

Now... Masters Of Reality... anyone heard their more recent stuff?
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    merkinball wrote:
    Really got the crowd going with 'Let There Be Rock'.

Right on. That song fired me up back in Feb.

"With Bon Scott singing...Let There Be Rock...."

PBM

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    merkinball wrote:
    Saw DBT last Saturday as part of the Black Crowes/RRFB/DBT tour. Excellent show, DBT kicked ass. Much too short of a set though. Really got the crowd going with 'Let There Be Rock'.
    Could you define "much too short of a set"? I will be catching this tri-bill next week and would like to know how much DBT I'm getting for my concert dollar. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Could you define "much too short of a set"? I will be catching this tri-bill next week and would like to know how much DBT I'm getting for my concert dollar. :)

Folks on Nine Bullets have said around 45 minutes.

Sample set from tour opener:

Feb 14
    Where the Devil Don't Stay
    Easy on Yourself
    Aftermath
    Gravity's Gone
    Decoration Day
    Livin' Bubba
    Carl Perkins Cadillac
    Let Ther be Rock

PBM

Yeah, I think it was about a half hour/40 minutes. RRFB played for an hour, and Black Crowes were about 2 1/2 hours.

Songs played (in no particular order):

Sinkhole, Gravitys Gone, Day John Henry Died, Women Without Whiskey, Outfit, Aftermath U.S.A, Let There Be Rock. Maybe one other song.

3rd time seeing them, still no Living Bubba or People Who Died. I'd really like to see them play one of those. The pedal steel player (Neff?) sounded great. One thing about the big shows is a kick-ass sound system.

Oh yeah, and 'much too short of a set' cause I could have listened to them for a lot longer. You could tell they were just getting fired up when the set was over.

merkinball wrote:
    The pedal steel player (Neff?) sounded great. One thing about the big shows is a kick-ass sound system.

Neff was a great addition when I saw them live...nice to see him on Conan too.

PBM

merkinball wrote:
    Yeah, I think it was about a half hour/40 minutes. RRFB played for an hour, and Black Crowes were about 2 1/2 hours.
    RRFB gets an hour and DBT gets 30-40 minutes...............what's up with that???? I have never heard of RRFB.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Goin to the DC solo gig and the RRFB/BC show in Philly a few weeks later.

can't wait.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    Neff was a great addition when I saw them live...nice to see him on Conan too.

PBM
    I am trying to remember if he was at the Anniversary show back in November......someone was playing the pedal, but because of where we were sitting, we could not see that side of the stage.
    tybird wrote:
    RRFB gets an hour and DBT gets 30-40 minutes...............what's up with that???? I have never heard of RRFB.

RRFB is a excellent live act too. Pick up 'Live at the Wetlands' for a good primer, the studio album 'Unclassified' is ok, but they really shine live. Robert plays a mean pedal steel. Much more of a 'jam' act than a rock act, but the Crowes are much more of a Jam act these days too.

Really, the reason I went was to see the DBT and RRFB. Two of my favorite live performers these days.