Does Ben Harper kind of suck?

Fury Us ChimpFury Us Chimp Posts: 5
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Dude seems like he gets a lot of love, so maybe I'm missing something. And yes, I know he's tight with Eddie and all, but we can't go entirely by associations. I can't fight the feeling that this guy is just a big phony. I mean Eagles level phony. Four times in the past five or six years I've heard that song Oppression, in four very different places and situations, and each time it has almost induced vomiting. (For the record, I'm very liberal and very much not a fan of oppression (note lower-case o).) I think he's trying to be Cat Stevens (Trouble) in that song, and it's not even subtle. Also it just seems like a novelty song, like something Cake would do, something really calculated to make the maximum number of college kids' playlists.

Lots of great bands/artists put out crappy songs, but in general I get a strong feeling of phoniness from all of his music (that particular song is the only one that sticks out because, um, see above). Yeah, burn one down, bro. One love. Etc.

Am I way the hell off? I'm sorry to be negative like this, I'm just curious if I'm the only one or if this is a general feeling.

P.S. Pearl Jam friggin owns!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    I haven't listened to his latest album, but I really dig the old stuff--Will to Live era.
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    ha!

I know I saw him at Roseland in 03 i think

and yea I felt the same

I'm not sure if i like him or not

Dude seems like he gets a lot of love, so maybe I'm missing something. And yes, I know he's tight with Eddie and all, but we can't go entirely by associations. I can't fight the feeling that this guy is just a big phony. I mean Eagles level phony. Four times in the past five or six years I've heard that song Oppression, in four very different places and situations, and each time it has almost induced vomiting. (For the record, I'm very liberal and very much not a fan of oppression (note lower-case o).) I think he's trying to be Cat Stevens (Trouble) in that song, and it's not even subtle. Also it just seems like a novelty song, like something Cake would do, something really calculated to make the maximum number of college kids' playlists.

Lots of great bands/artists put out crappy songs, but in general I get a strong feeling of phoniness from all of his music (that particular song is the only one that sticks out because, um, see above). Yeah, burn one down, bro. One love. Etc.

Am I way the hell off? I'm sorry to be negative like this, I'm just curious if I'm the only one or if this is a general feeling.

• I used to be a huge Ben fan. His last three albums make me want to vomit though. Don't listen to him as much anymore and I don't mind if I miss any of his NY shows. I'm just psyched to see Radiohead in Jersey.
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Thanks! I feel more sane already...
  • PJ10EddiePJ10Eddie Posts: 17
    Amazing live performer; "meh" studio work, although I love his new album.

I saw him this past fall and it was an incredible show...he rocked out "Whipping Boy" with a KILLER extended solo....friggin AWESOME....

The guy is really talented.
    9/28/96 9/29/96 6/14/98 8/28/98 8/29/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 9/18/98 9/19/98 6/19/99 8/03/00 8/04/00 8/06/00 8/27/00 9/01/00 9/02/00 4/28/03 5/03/03
    7/05/03 7/06/03 10/1/04 9/30/05 10/1/05 10/3/05
    5/27/06 5/28/06
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117

Well, first off this belongs in the Other Music forum, not The Porch.
    Second of all, I couldn't disagree with you more. I don't think I have witnessed as true of a person, or as passionate of a person since Eddie Vedder, until I saw and got into Ben Harper about 1 year ago. Now mind you, I have never been one to get into a band or artist because Eddie or the rest of the band is into them. i think and stand on my own two feet. And just for example; Fugazi does nothing for me, neither does KISS. And for a long time, neither did Ben Harper.

For me it was two different really close friends who have been into Harper for many years - and think he is just the shit, that made me finally listen to his albums with open ears. i had first listened to "Both Sides of the Gun" and was only impressed with the faster side of the gun. So, I still wasn't grooving on his music that much. It wasn't until I got a hold of "Fight For Your Mind" from my neighbor (who is one of my two really good friend who is really into him) and I sat and really listened to the album - then it was like, holy shit, what have i been missing. I was blown away from beginning to the end of that album! And it was only a day later that I got his newest album "Lifeline" that I really fell for his music. "Lifeline" is just fucking AMAZING!! Then for my birthday last year, I was given "Welcome to the Cruel World" which is also a fantastic album! Those are the only 3 I know and have, and they are terrific albums. Then i saw Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals in concert last year and was blown away all over again. Such a tight band, with such an down to earth, passionate, meaningful, and deep song writer/singer.

Again,I am not in college, and it took me 4 years after first seeing Ben Harper in the LATG PJ DVD to actually get into his music....but it was well worth the wait.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I think Ben Harper is amazing
  • Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    I've never liked Ben Harper. Old stuff, new stuff, to me it all sucks. Even when he did Indifference at MSG 2003 I thought it was terrible. Just like all the bands that open for them. I can't even think of one that's have decent. Better be careful what ya say around these parts though because you're not allowed to have an opinion unless it's the same as the big guns.
  • i like it.
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    Thanks! I feel more sane already...

it feels good to base you what you like off what others like doesn't it?

btw harper rocks....

he put out some alright albums in the middle but his last album lifeline is solid and it was an even better tour......

also get out his gospel album with the blind boys
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Mr. Harper is Awesome!!!!!!and completely sincere in what he sings about...
    how any one could feel he isn't I can't even comprehend but to each there own I suppose.
    anyway Peace
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I don't feel like taking the time to make a bunch of points.

So....

I'll just tell you that you are wrong.

sorry.
    tacos
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Ben is awesome. I really like the last album he did.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    .....but to each there own I suppose.

Exactly

and it's THEIR
    iwasthere wrote:
    I don't feel like taking the time to make a bunch of points.

So....

I'll just tell you that you are wrong.

sorry.

How can an opinion be wrong? That's why it's called an opinion. It's not like it's a math problem and there's a right and wrong answer, it's an opinion. Just so happens that my opinion is the same as his. So does that make YOU wrong? Of course not. Why? Because it's YOUR opinion.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    mr. harper is amazing!!!

some of the best shows I've ever been to. i'll admit I haven't really gotten into his last couple of albums, but then again I haven't taken the time to give them a proper listen.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    iamsampj wrote:
    mr. harper is amazing!!!

some of the best shows I've ever been to. i'll admit I haven't really gotten into his last couple of albums, but then again I haven't taken the time to give them a proper listen.
    You must go pick up "Lifeline." You will NOT be disappointed!!! ;)
  • I absolutely love Ben Harper! I have always felt that he is underrated and one of the most talented song writers I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. His music is so creative and eclectic, and his live shows are electric.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    I used to be a huge Ben fan. His last three albums make me want to vomit though. Don't listen to him as much anymore and I don't mind if I miss any of his NY shows. I'm just psyched to see Radiohead in Jersey.

You going to All Points West?
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I have seen Harper 10 times and he gets better each and everytime....His last performance at Radio City was just great!!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I really don't know too much about his music and only seen him w/ PJ but I thought he was good. I guess I don't know enough to really have an opinion. So I really can't say if he's phony. He seems genuine to me. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Judging art is a waste of time. Let's get back to the important topics like pics when Ed looks hot and any self proclaimed *official* threads.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    No. Ben Harper does not kinda suck.

Ben Harper kicks ass.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • i know to each his own. but i would have to say that i do think ben harper does suck. not kind of, but a lot. but hey, that's just me.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • circles downcircles down Posts: 182
    Yeah dude, you're way off. He's the real deal. He doesn't write shit like Oppression and Fight For Your Mind to impress college kids.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I've never liked Ben Harper. Old stuff, new stuff, to me it all sucks. Even when he did Indifference at MSG 2003 I thought it was terrible. Just like all the bands that open for them. I can't even think of one that's have decent. Better be careful what ya say around these parts though because you're not allowed to have an opinion unless it's the same as the big guns.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. I'm kind of neutral on the whole Ben thing.

But do you ever have anything positive to say about anything? Everything is "this sucks," "that sucks", "this was terrible."

It must be kind of hard to live life that way, but whatever.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I like Ben Harper more than Pearl Jam.... and I love Pearl Jam! I will not stand for this Ben Harper blasphemy:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    I dont think he sucks per se, but I just cant get into it. Ill tell you this though, I will jam with a Ben Harper show over a Jack Johnson show!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Ben Harper's a fantastic musician who communicates from a genuine and deep place. Fight for your Mind is one of my all time favorites of any genre; sublime, organic, and inspirational. So much of his music moves me, but this album in particular is just special.

Walk Away helped me through one of the roughest patches of my life. So simple and clear and beautiful, that song.

I love this guy.
  • Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    corduroid wrote:
    Ben Harper's a fantastic musician who communicates from a genuine and deep place. Fight for your Mind is one of my all time favorites of any genre; sublime, organic, and inspirational. So much of his music moves me, but this album in particular is just special.

Walk Away helped me through one of the roughest patches of my life. So simple and clear and beautiful, that song.

I love this guy.

Walk Away is a great song