STP'S first performance of '08 on Kimmel .. Whatcha think?

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited May 2008 in Other Music
i thought the band sounded fantastic, and scott was so/so ..

on vasoline he sounded good and his dance moves are so killer haha ..

during trippin .. his voice was nooot good. don't know what happened.

he looks waay skinny, has some crazy fuckin hair, and his teeth look ridiculously white and perfect .. definitely fake .. i think he started getting meth mouth or something ..

but i think this will be a great tour
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Scott's vocals will be the weak link in everything he does outside the studio, I guess. He sounded... okay... on Vasoline, though he missed the return from the solo cos he was so caught up in his dancing. He sounded very weak on parts of Trippin'. It's a pity, cos as much as I'd love STP to be a touring band (because of the incredible DeLeo brothers), Scott is probably better off staying in the studio, both from a performance perspective, and health perspective.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    About what I would expect, I wouldn't mind seeing them...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Scott's vocals will be the weak link in everything he does outside the studio, I guess. He sounded... okay... on Vasoline, though he missed the return from the solo cos he was so caught up in his dancing. He sounded very weak on parts of Trippin'. It's a pity, cos as much as I'd love STP to be a touring band (because of the incredible DeLeo brothers), Scott is probably better off staying in the studio, both from a performance perspective, and health perspective.

i agree with you but i don't think he should just stay in the studio because i and most other people still would love to, and reaaaally want to see them live. the deleo brothers are geniuses. scott's the entertainer at this point. i do like how they're letting fan club do some setlist picking and stuff on the site. maybe we'll get diverse sets at least.

i wish scott still sounded like this though:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=oI89F6lwuos
    best stp performance ever? maybe!
  • i agree with you but i don't think he should just stay in the studio because i and most other people still would love to, and reaaaally want to see them live. the deleo brothers are geniuses. scott's the entertainer at this point. i do like how they're letting fan club do some setlist picking and stuff on the site. maybe we'll get diverse sets at least.

Believe me, I'd love for their tour to hit Ireland - like I said, I really want to see the DeLeos. But I get the feeling Scott's vocals would actually ruin it for me.:o
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Most shows i've seen videos of, Scott's vocals are fine but, they sounded really weak on Kimmel.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Seen them twice in concert....no vocal problems noted at either show.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Weilands vocals are fine live. With Vr I seen him 3 times, and he sounded great each time. Also member dancing, and moving around, makes ya winded which takes away from your singing. You people saying he should stay in the studio what ya smoking ? Hes a great performer and a great singer he needs to be out on stage kicking ass.
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    It was a decent show, and everyone was right, Scott's vocals were kind of lackluster. I'm chalking it up to not practicing for years, instead of the eightball he had just taken ;)
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
    I think they are just getting warmed up. The band hasn't played together in a while. The band was spot on, but Scott just needs to find his comfort zone again with STP. After they get settled into their tour i'm sure he will be just fine. I think they did a great job on Kimmel. Just let him find his groove again. Cause he has been playing with VR for a while and they never had the groove STP has.

I'm seeing them in Detroit and i'm expecting a great show! Been waiting a long time for this one :-)

allmyrivals
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i know i'm straying off topic now, but guys watch this video i posted up earlier and tell me it isn't the most amazing stp performance you have ever seen. i dare you ..

• Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    double dog dare? ;)
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
    i know i'm straying off topic now, but guys watch this video i posted up earlier and tell me it isn't the most amazing stp performance you have ever seen. i dare you ..

Thanks for posting!

That is great!

allmyrivals
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • Weilands vocals are fine live. With Vr I seen him 3 times, and he sounded great each time. Also member dancing, and moving around, makes ya winded which takes away from your singing. You people saying he should stay in the studio what ya smoking ? Hes a great performer and a great singer he needs to be out on stage kicking ass.

If it's taking away from his singing, maybe he should tone it down a little. I don't go to STP concerts to see Scott dance, I go to hear the songs. By all means, if he's kicking ass on stage, I'm excited for them to tour. But that performance never came near my ass. Or something.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    oooo ouch... missed it when it originally aired... he does sound pretty crappy on trippin... who knows tho... maybe he was sick or something that night... he sounded alright on vasoline... just sounds like his voice gave out by trippin

when VR played on kimmel he sounded pretty shitty too... hes never been a great live voice

im still debating seeing em in chicago... i would in an instant if any of my friends were into them... might have to take my sister with me
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    As a live high energy performance goes he sounds perfectly acceptable. I agree that he should keep still a bit more, but then that isn't really his thing :)

I'm almost shocked that people are so critical of him, when I saw STP when they toured their last record, I had no idea what they would be like live, and I was particularly blown away by his vocals. And it's hardly like he's the first vocalist to sound a bit rough around the edges at times, even the mighty Eddie Vedder has off days, but it's more about the passion of the performance, and Weiland brings that by the spade full.

Perhaps he picked up some bad techniques touring with VR - his voice always seemed a bit higher and slurred in that band. I'm sure it won't take long for him to hit his stride again.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I always thought that Weiland is a great live singer, although I'm not exactly a gigantic hardcore fan of STP or VR. Still, from what I've seen, he always seems to put on a great performance.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I thought his voice was fine when I saw VR at the Virgin Fest last summer.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I think they sounded great.

My take on the performance, yes Scott was a little off. This could be for a few reasons. First, he's just coming off a big tour with VR and that could be an issue. In fact, if Scott has any problems this tour, I would guess it stems from that. However, he could have also been distracted by his sentencing for a week in the slammer which had just happened. And that could have caused him to be weaker.

Whatever the case, if you look at the performance from the Houdini Estate a week earlier, Scott sounded dead on for everything. So I'm gonna stick with the notion that Scott was having an off day, until it becomes clear that that is not the case.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    As a live high energy performance goes he sounds perfectly acceptable. I agree that he should keep still a bit more, but then that isn't really his thing :)

I'm almost shocked that people are so critical of him, when I saw STP when they toured their last record, I had no idea what they would be like live, and I was particularly blown away by his vocals. And it's hardly like he's the first vocalist to sound a bit rough around the edges at times, even the mighty Eddie Vedder has off days, but it's more about the passion of the performance, and Weiland brings that by the spade full.

Perhaps he picked up some bad techniques touring with VR - his voice always seemed a bit higher and slurred in that band. I'm sure it won't take long for him to hit his stride again.

Exactly.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Vitalogy7Vitalogy7 Posts: 75
    i agree with you but i don't think he should just stay in the studio because i and most other people still would love to, and reaaaally want to see them live. the deleo brothers are geniuses. scott's the entertainer at this point. i do like how they're letting fan club do some setlist picking and stuff on the site. maybe we'll get diverse sets at least.

I've always thought this was one of their best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSlj_J6CCQ&feature=related

;p
    "Up here so high the sky I scrape,
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest,
    Just like innocence."
  • seeing them June 1st!!!!!!!!!!

cant wait
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    i thought the band sounded fantastic, and scott was so/so ..

on vasoline he sounded good and his dance moves are so killer haha ..

during trippin .. his voice was nooot good. don't know what happened.

he looks waay skinny, has some crazy fuckin hair, and his teeth look ridiculously white and perfect .. definitely fake .. i think he started getting meth mouth or something ..

but i think this will be a great tour

i thought the band sounded awesome, scott was a little iffy but TV is not a very fair judge, the sounds sucks on TV because they dont have proper recording capabilities for concert sound.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I was at the live taping... I thought thet sounded good. but, you have to take that it was television event, not a concert.
    The whole band was ready to play. They sound checked for about an hour and sounded great. When it was time for their performance, it sounded like the vocals were turned down (typical of television). After 'Vasoline', they were ready to roll into the rest of their set, but had to wait for the commercial break. You could tell that it bothered them. Plus, there is this fool up on stage trying to get the crowd frenzied up so it'll look good on T.V. (what an idiot).
    The rest of the set was great. And they even came out for an extra song... something you almost never see on a television production. I'm hoping for a smaller L.A. venue than the Hollywood Bowl... and a possible showing at the KROQ Weenie Roast... or the KJEE Beach Ball.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Vitalogy7 wrote:
    I've always thought this was one of their best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSlj_J6CCQ&feature=related

;p

Very good...Weiland looks healthy too.
  • I think this is one of my favourite perfomances, not sure if it's one of their best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVcYVsQh87c
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Weiland is a great live singer. Also one of the best singer/songwriter/performers still around today. Vr kicked ass. So does STP.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    seemed to me like Weiland was straining to be heard over the band..

Chris Cornell had the same problem with audioslave..

Bono figured out how to boost his vocals over the band's sound mix... STP should do the same..

This is what saved Cornell's voice on his solo tour.. sounds awesome now...

On the Kimmel show, I just was creeped out by all the corporate logos for Ford Vibe all over the place..

I'm not on a high horse... I realize alot of bands do this to reduce their costs (an less burden on ticket prices can be a result) but the corprate stuff was ALL over the place, while Scott is singing" I'm not dead and I'm not for sale"..

Um... apparently you are!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    that's the show sponsors. the band has no say as to what gets put on a tv stage. hell it's the "pontiac garage stage" or something lame like that anyway.
  • nowayimfaithfullnowayimfaithfull Posts: 2,051
    it was typical, bands do not usually sound great on tv, they will get better.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • PandemicPandemic Posts: 54
    They need to remind Weiland to sing.