filter

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited August 2007 in Other Music
i saw a movie the other day; the girl next door, which was actually awesome. watched it a few times. in the movie a song caught my attention. looked it up, saw it was form a band filter. never heard of them. the song was called "take a picture" i love this tune, don't know why. listened to some other of their songs including "you walk away". they sound awesome. anyone know about them? thoughts?
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    filter are a pretty good band who were formed by Richard Patrick, brother of hollywood actor Robert Patrick (Terminator 2/X Files). Richard was in an early touring version of Nine Inch Nails before leaving to form Filter. There are 3 Filter albums, Short Bus, Title of Record and The Amalgamut which are all pretty good. They also have the song (Can't You) Trip Like I Do on the Spawn film soundtrack which was recorded with the Crystal Method.

Touring for the Amalgamut was cut short, I believe, due to drink and/or drugs and Richard Patrick went into rehab. Currently in the Missing In Action file, I have no idea if there is a new Filter album in the works or not. All three of their releases are well worth checking out though.
  • Strongly reccommend Title of Record.....it's got some really great songs on it, Welcome To The Fold especially is an absolute belter.

Short Bus not so much though Hey Man Nice Shot is pretty cool
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I loved this band in high school. Definitely check out Title of Record if you like "Take a Picture." Most of the album is heavier than that song, but quite catchy all the same.

Short Bus was a grower for me. It was the first Filter CD I owned (the only one in existance at the time), but it wasn't until Title of Record was released and blew me away that I was able to get Short Bus back out and appreciate it. The album, at least to me, if incredibly dark and disconserting. I got it out a few months ago for the first time in a while, and it really bothered me to think that at one time I felt some sort of connection to this music. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone who relates to the record, it's just not me. I still respect the album, but I can't go there again.

I didn't like the Amalagamut, but I'd moved on musically by the time that one finally came out. I thought the lyrics and concepts were cheesy, but maybe that was just me.

Oh, and (Can't You) Trip Like I Do is a very cool song. You need to hear that one for sure.
  • I love TOR and I thought "The Almagamut" was very underrated. Fave moment, "You're not the only One" of Title of Record. Hope more Filter is to come after Army of Anyone was a flop
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    Jurassatol from the Crow 2 sdtk was an awesome song too

dont forget Robert Patrick went and formed Army of Anyone w/ the DeLeo bros from STP
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • I used to hear that song on the radio all the time...

But ya, as it has already been stated, the lead singer is in Army of Anyone with the DeLeo brothers from Stone Temple Pilots (guitar and bass) and their CD is good too.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    thanks alot guys. i'm really gonna look into this band because i love the songs i've heard.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Short Bus is so awesome, and there's a ton of other good songs on the album other than Hey Man Nice Shot. Check out the Dose video on youtube, for starters. The album also has more slower moodier Soundgarden-like songs, and mellow acoustic stuff like Stuck In Here. I listened to Filter non-stop this Spring/Last Winter.

Dose:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUHe5AoIs4
    Stuck In Here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SsHg8YaAA
    Stuck In Here Live(this is a much heavier version):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePsYoHDT9SE

I'm a rabid fan of Short Bus, but I haven't checked out their later songs, except for Take A Picture and My Long Walk To Jail or whatever it's called.
  • Arctangent wrote:
    filter are a pretty good band who were formed by Richard Patrick, brother of hollywood actor Robert Patrick (Terminator 2/X Files). Richard was in an early touring version of Nine Inch Nails before leaving to form Filter. There are 3 Filter albums, Short Bus, Title of Record and The Amalgamut which are all pretty good. They also have the song (Can't You) Trip Like I Do on the Spawn film soundtrack which was recorded with the Crystal Method.

Touring for the Amalgamut was cut short, I believe, due to drink and/or drugs and Richard Patrick went into rehab. Currently in the Missing In Action file, I have no idea if there is a new Filter album in the works or not. All three of their releases are well worth checking out though.

Have you heard Army of Anyone. Very generic. How come the best music is made when people are high? And when they sober up it's crap.
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Bump, I'd really like to talk some Filter here...anyone check out the vids?
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    jerve5150 wrote:
    Have you heard Army of Anyone. Very generic. How come the best music is made when people are high? And when they sober up it's crap.

not heard anything by Army of Anyone. i didn't even know richard patrick had recorded and released anything since the amalgamut!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i saw a movie the other day; the girl next door, which was actually awesome. watched it a few times. in the movie a song caught my attention. looked it up, saw it was form a band filter. never heard of them. the song was called "take a picture" i love this tune, don't know why. listened to some other of their songs including "you walk away". they sound awesome. anyone know about them? thoughts?

Don't know if you have checked it out yet, but the song The Only Way (is the wrong way) from the album Amalgamut is very much in the same vein as Take A Picture - in fact the same goes for God Damn Me.

Filter have some great tunes - Welcome To The Fold is an absolute beast, as is It's Gonna Kill Me, which features some of the best drumming I've ever heard.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Matt Walker did an awesome job whilst filling for JImmy
  • Arctangent wrote:
    not heard anything by Army of Anyone. i didn't even know richard patrick had recorded and released anything since the amalgamut!
    And he was part of The Damning Well, which released one song. But I forget what it was called. It's on the Underworld Evolution sountrack.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    MAN nice shot!

Filter is awesome
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Short Bus is solid, Title Of Record is well above average, and The Amalgamut has a couple decent songs. I echo the sentiment that Welcome To The Fold is a tremendous song.

However, they blooooow live. Saw 'em three or four times in both headlining and support roles and they were really weak. The biggest letdown for me was seeing them perform the radio edit of Welcome To The Fold rather than the full-length version. You wrote a juggernaut...perform it that way!!
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Title of Record is one of my favorite records. I just never get tired of it.

I thought Richard Patrick was the singer in the new DeLeo brothers band? Nevermind...that's the Army of Anyone that was already mentioned.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    I love TOR and I thought "The Almagamut" was very underrated. Fave moment, "You're not the only One" of Title of Record. Hope more Filter is to come after Army of Anyone was a flop

Filter is awesome, one of my top bands. btw AoA is just on a break right now, they will prolly be back after Rich is done with the new Filter album and maybe some touring. Plus there was a rumor of stp getting back together for a bit.

So expect Filter fairly soon, Aoa in a while, and who knows about stp.

ps if you ever get the chance to see aoa do it, they rock.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Great band, too bad they didnt make much music
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Buy "Title of Record"

Don't ever let them see you cheat
    Don't ever let them see you bleed
    Don't ever let them shake your hand
    Don't ever let them believe that scam
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    mdigenakis wrote:
    Buy "Title of Record"

Don't ever let them see you cheat
    Don't ever let them see you bleed