spoon - go to hell

cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
edited August 2007 in Other Music
This makes me happy to be a PJ fan knowing that they wouldn't do something like this.

Spoon was supposed to play two shows in October at a club in DC. Tickets have been on sale for several weeks. In the past couple of days there has been an announcement that they are now going to be opening up for the Shins at a big venue near Baltimore on one of the dates and they are canceling both of their club dates in DC. You can get your money back or pay more money to get a ticket to the Shins-Spoon show.

What a way to fuck over your fans. They are one of two openers for the Shins, so I doubt they get to play anything close to a full set. The venue in Baltimore is not accessible by public transportation and if you do have a car it can take from 1-2 hours to drive there in traffic (the Shins show is on a Monday night). They only needed to cancel the one club show in DC on Monday to do the Shins show in Baltimore that night, but instead they cancel both the Monday and Tuesday shows. Plus, the just played in Baltimore at the Virgin Festival, meanwhile they haven't played a show in DC in the past five years or so. This is a good way to lose fans.

Thanks for letting me rant.
98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    that stinks

but

they are fantastic live and I wouldnt miss em

drive up to philly for the e-factory show
  • Ok, that sucks...but Spoon are awesome.

They aren't really fucking anyone over. They offer you your money back or tickets to their gig with the Shins. It's really not that big of a deal. GaGaGaGaGa is a great album and Spoon are slowly blowing up. I'm pretty sure the decision was from the record label, not the band.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    cbbjr wrote:
    This makes me happy to be a PJ fan knowing that they wouldn't do something like this.

Spoon was supposed to play two shows in October at a club in DC. Tickets have been on sale for several weeks. In the past couple of days there has been an announcement that they are now going to be opening up for the Shins at a big venue near Baltimore on one of the dates and they are canceling both of their club dates in DC. You can get your money back or pay more money to get a ticket to the Shins-Spoon show.

What a way to fuck over your fans. They are one of two openers for the Shins, so I doubt they get to play anything close to a full set. The venue in Baltimore is not accessible by public transportation and if you do have a car it can take from 1-2 hours to drive there in traffic (the Shins show is on a Monday night). They only needed to cancel the one club show in DC on Monday to do the Shins show in Baltimore that night, but instead they cancel both the Monday and Tuesday shows. Plus, the just played in Baltimore at the Virgin Festival, meanwhile they haven't played a show in DC in the past five years or so. This is a good way to lose fans.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Kinda sucks, but it's not like a band's primary job is to please their fans. Being a performer is a job just like everything else.
  • cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
    I guess I would edit my original comments - probably wouldn't say go to hell - but it still sucks. I just read that the promoter said it is a business decision. He didn't want both bands, which have an overlap in audience, competing against one another. Understandable...if you figure this out before you put tickets on sale. This is a disappointment to those of us who can't go to the Monday show.

The promoter had three options: 1-keep to the schedule and let the Shins play in Maryland on Monday and Spoon in DC on Monday and Tuesday (hurts business but is fan friendly), 2-cancel both Spoon DC shows and have a Shins-Spoon show in Baltimore on Monday (helps business and the least fan friendly option), or 3-cancel only the Spoon Monday DC show and put on a Shins-Spoon show in Baltimore on Monday (seems to be a compromise in business and fan interests).

It is too bad that option 2 prevailed. The kicker is that they may not end up refunding the service charge, so you may end up paying a couple bucks to not be able to see anything.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    Ok, that sucks...but Spoon are awesome.

They aren't really fucking anyone over. They offer you your money back or tickets to their gig with the Shins. It's really not that big of a deal. GaGaGaGaGa is a great album and Spoon are slowly blowing up. I'm pretty sure the decision was from the record label, not the band.

I completely agree with that. Bands can get held hostage by their label depending on the language of their contract.

Maybe you answered this, but is it possible they had to cancel the 2nd show to continue traveling with the Shins. Do they have a show the next day or is the next show far away?
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa