Can Someone please explain Neil Young to me.

Malcolm_XMalcolm_X Posts: 93
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I mean yes I know who Neil Young is, I've seen him in concert twice, got a few albums read his official biography "Shakey", but is Neil like some kind of "loner", I know he's married, but like was there a time in his life where he really was looking for romance but couldn't find it or understand it. Its been a while since I read his book.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Isn't he married? Maybe I'm off base but that's what I've heard.

Edit: oh you've mentioned the marriage thing. Well in that case, what are you asking? I don't get it. You're not a 'loner' in a happy marriage.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    He's not a loner, he's a non-conformist.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Most of his real longing music was written in the 70's, which was probably before he was married.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Malcolm_X wrote:
    I mean yes I know who Neil Young is, I've seen him in concert twice, got a few albums read his official biography "Shakey", but is Neil like some kind of "loner", I know he's married, but like was there a time in his life where he really was looking for romance but couldn't find it or understand it. Its been a while since I read his book.

I'll explain him to you. He's a brilliant songwriter with a voice that sounds like a cat in heat. I don't know whether to bow at his feet or plug my ears.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    I'll explain him to you. He's a brilliant songwriter with a voice that sounds like a cat in heat. I don't know whether to bow at his feet or plug my ears.

Yeah, some of his stuff is just cringe-inducing.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Most of his real longing music was written in the 70's, which was probably before he was married.
    And he was doing some heaaaaaaaaaaaaavy drugs.

I've never heard a song by him where I don't like his voice. Who the fuck cares if it's weird?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Who the fuck cares if it's weird?

Me! Old prudes like me! I once asked my co-worker what is so great about NY.
    He said b/c he is a great songwriter :) I like some of his songs but I don't go crazy over him like I do the front man of Nickelback*. I CSN&Y especially!

*it's hard for me to control myself when he comes on VH-1.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    iluvcats wrote:
    He said b/c he is a great songwriter :) I like some of his songs but I don't go crazy over him like I do the front man of Nickelback*. I CSN&Y especially!

nonononononononononono please dont tell me we have a pearl jam fan who likes nickleback.... aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

neil is genious
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
    nonononononononononono please dont tell me we have a pearl jam fan who likes nickleback.... aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

neil is genious

chad makes my heart pound. I fantasize that his filthy songs are about me.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    no he wasn't. the heaaaaaaaaaaviest drug neil has ever done was coke, and he was a casual user. he never did heroin or lsd for that matter. neil was and is mainly a pothead.

he had a period there between being with zeke's mother, carrie snodgress, and ben's mother, his current wife pegi. he was a bachelor, living it up, but also very lonely. but what a fertile period...he wrote some of his best songs then.

I'm not so sure about the never doing lsd thing. He did honey slides and i always understood them to be cooking pot with honey in a frying pan and adding liquid LSD and spooning it out and eating it.

also he did a LOT of coke. Hence during the last waltz they had to edit out the large piece left over on his nose he was doing backstage before he came out.

either way he is the man!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • no he wasn't. the heaaaaaaaaaaviest drug neil has ever done was coke, and he was a casual user. he never did heroin or lsd for that matter. neil was and is mainly a pothead.

he had a period there between being with zeke's mother, carrie snodgress, and ben's mother, his current wife pegi. he was a bachelor, living it up, but also very lonely. but what a fertile period...he wrote some of his best songs then.
    I meant heavy use, sorry. As in, LOTS AND LOTS of Pot :p

edit: The honey slides thign is true, but I'm not totally sure his had LSD in it. I don't remember.

"Make our day"
  • iluvcats wrote:

Well shit, I can't say I think that's a good thing but you've proven yourself cool enough to be forgiven :p

"Make our day"
    Well shit, I can't say I think that's a good thing but you've proven yourself cool enough to be forgiven :p

now that you quoted me, I see where I left out a word. I meant to say that I like CSNY. think I left out like. I like CSN&Y better than just ny. And as for Nickelback, I am joking! I like some of their stuff, I don't hate them (and Walmart) like most people on here. I can't stand their new song. I turn it off, his voice hurts my ears, I think he has nodes on his vocal chords.

did NY sing backup in buffalo springfield?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:

now that you quoted me, I see where I left out a word. I meant to say that I like CSNY. think I left out like. I like CSN&Y better than just ny. And as for Nickelback, I am joking! I like some of their stuff, I don't hate them (and Walmart) like most people on here. I can't stand their new song. I turn it off, his voice hurts my ears, I think he has nodes on his vocal chords.

did NY sing backup in buffalo springfield?
    it's all good in the hood, chief.

Yeah, Neil got his start with Springfield. :cool:

"Make our day"
    it's all good in the hood, chief.

Yeah, Neil got his start with Springfield. :cool:

I know that :) But he wasn't the front man, right? I've seen BS on old music cd commercials. Neil with his BIG side burns. I was 5 years old when they were around. We have a man at work who still wears his side burns like that. I bet he likes NY.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I know that :) But he wasn't the front man, right? I've seen BS on old music cd commercials. Neil with his BIG side burns. I was 5 years old when they were around. We have a man at work who still wears his side burns like that. I bet he likes NY.
    Nah he was a backup singer and a guitar player.

"Make our day"
    Nah he was a backup singer and a guitar player.

damn. I'm disappointed. I checked out this site and I was hoping for more pics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Springfield
    10/10 - Brad in B'more