Options

So what is the most "legendary" Alive live performance ever?

With HonorsWith Honors Posts: 13
edited April 2008 in The Porch
There has been some discussion of this, and I'm interested in what people have to say about this.

Taking into account the performance itself (how great it was to be there), and actual band performance (sharp solos, sharp lyrics, maybe some tags, crowd interaction), what would the best song be?

Best I have ever been witness to was the Sept. 8th 2005 show in Winnipeg. But I have only been to a dozen shows, but I haven't considered my bootlegs. I would have to go back and relisten.

But I would like to hear from all of you...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Favorite I was at: Dallas 2003 because it was a surprise as an opener.

Favorite from boots: Grand Rapids 2006, Lisbon 2000, Boston II 2003
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    I am going to say Storytellers for the simple fact you can see me pumping my fist. Legendary.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I don't know about legendary, but the 2 best are London,Ont 2005 and Milan 2006. If you listen to them you will know exactly what I'm talking about. The solo's are incredible. and during the London show someone named Melissa is on stage
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    4Powers20 wrote:
    I am going to say Storytellers for the simple fact you can see me pumping my fist. Legendary.
    me too! there was a good close-up on me pumping my fist. :)

i'd vote for that just because we got to hear his view of the song, as well.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Seattle 00 is legendary for the only time it was played on the NA tour after Roskilde. Not a stellar performance, but meaningful.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    The best I've heard was from Vancouver 2005. Amazing crowd participation. It just kicked all sorts of ass!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    MTV unplugged is a pretty sweet version. Atlanta 94 is good as well.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I'm telling you and everyone, the London,Ontario solo is the best I've ever heard
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    There has been some discussion of this, and I'm interested in what people have to say about this.

Taking into account the performance itself (how great it was to be there), and actual band performance (sharp solos, sharp lyrics, maybe some tags, crowd interaction), what would the best song be?

Best I have ever been witness to was the Sept. 8th 2005 show in Winnipeg. But I have only been to a dozen shows, but I haven't considered my bootlegs. I would have to go back and relisten.

Could this have spawned from my thread perhaps?

good thread regardless. My favorite version of Alive either has to be Philly 05 or grand rapids 06. IMO, the longer, the better.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    My favorite version of Alive either has to be Philly 05
    i love that version....and the intro: "mike mccready....philadelphia...." <into the opening riff>
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Seattle 00 is legendary for the only time it was played on the NA tour after Roskilde. Not a stellar performance, but meaningful.

This was the one that I was going to pick as well. Being there for that was... heavy, and sort of relieving - there was just so much wrapped up in that performance. On its own, you'd probably listen and think 'that was good..', but in context it was really meaningful for sure.

Another performance of it that gives me chills even when I think about it was Montreal 03. I remember the 'chanting' at the end was SO loud (although this didn't come through very well on the boot). And I was on the floor and looking up at this whole stadium and all the chanting and fists going, and I circled 360 degrees to take it all in and I consciously thought to myself: remember this moment when you're old and don't follow bands around any more, because this is why you did it'.
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    eyesnoeyes wrote:
    Another performance of it that gives me chills even when I think about it was Montreal 03. I remember the 'chanting' at the end was SO loud (although this didn't come through very well on the boot). And I was on the floor and looking up at this whole stadium and all the chanting and fists going, and I circled 360 degrees to take it all in and I consciously thought to myself: remember this moment when you're old and don't follow bands around any more, because this is why you did it'.
    the crowd energy at montreal 03 was insane. definitely was one of my favorite shows. the whole concert gave me chills...especially hearing light years....was a magical night, for sure.
    and i love what you just described with the thinking of it when you're old. :)
  • Options
    Lollapalooza was cool too with the crowd singing into the encore
  • Options
    98 MSG II. Hands down. Eddie threw the mic cord into the rafters and climbed up it.
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    Pinkpop 1992
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    10-3-05
  • Options
    Msg 7/9/03
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

this one i believe ...

but also Vancouver 05, i think someone else touched on it but it had amazing crowd participation and Newcastle 06 was pretty epic, all of us traveling were just like "i hope they don't play Alive to close the 1st encore again" but to hear it first was pretty fucking cool and fully unexpected.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    lollapalooza was really cool because the crowd kept going after the aong untill they came back out and because i was front row baby!!...my favorite was probably boston 5/25/06
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Defintely an earlier performance of the song. I don't think I have ever seen any band perform with more energy than the 92 SNL Alive/Porch combo. Made Fugazi seem subdued. That is when they had to prove themselves. Other than that, any 93-94 performance will melt your face. I am partial to New Orleans 2nd night 11/17/93 I believe.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    The Hollywood Fonda July 2006.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Pinkpop 1992

I agree!
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,311
    i wasnt there but have a video of it---msg 98. forget which night though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    nfanel wrote:
    the crowd energy at montreal 03 was insane. definitely was one of my favorite shows. the whole concert gave me chills...especially hearing light years....was a magical night, for sure.
    and i love what you just described with the thinking of it when you're old. :)

Montreal 98 was the best crowd I have ever been a part of. It was frantic.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    The one that plays in my head sometimes when I'm daydreaming...

Man you should hear it. It'll blow the ass right out of your pants
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    ummm vancouver 98,as it was the first time in a long time that ed walked into the crowd.
    or honolulu at blaisdell areana,lust amazing.he was on the monitors and having a great time
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    bs aires 1 2005 tie with seattle 1 2000
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options

Kitchener 2005. Anyone there would surely agree.
  • Options
    i wasnt there but have a video of it---msg 98. forget which night though.

Jeagler we finally agree on something. Check out my earlier post. Was there. Handed out Breathe signs too.

I will be there somehow. The stage shakes at MSG.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    eyesnoeyes wrote:

I have had that moment during Alive before. Not in Montreal, but elsewhere.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do