get me into another band

sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Currently listening to St Louis 98 with 'Oceans' as the opener. What a great show. I'm looking to "Expand my musical horizons" Is there really another band out there who can match Pearl Jam in terms of live performance and originality?

Any suggestions welcome!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Well I'd recommend John Butler Trio.

The vibe at a JB3 show is as good as that of a PJ show, and that's saying something. They are musically very talented, the tunes are excellent, they are politically active and John Butler well he's, well dare I say it, he's almost as hot as Eddie!! ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Arcade Fire are now my other favourite band other than Pearl Jam. If they can release a great third album they'll be on a par.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • totally agree with john butler trio, they are an amazing live band and are great song writers. And yes john does scrub up alright.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    The new Feist album is pretty surprising, never heard of her until recently. Pretty relaxing for me, she has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard.

Explosions In The Sky is great if you can wrap your head around beautiful instrumental work. Think wide open horizons.

My Morning Jacket has quite a few solid albums, The Tennessee Fire being my fave.

The new Kings of Leon is a solid album. Energetic live band.

Sea and Cake - The Biz, a great album to groove to. It's kind of a jazzy rock record. Great for summer.

If you dig any prog-type music, Russian Circles have released a monster of an album (or EP) entitled Enter. Very solid from front to back. Great guitar work and phenomenal drumming.

I also think the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have a very solid two album effort. Show Your Bones, to me, is a pretty mind boggling album. Sexy voice, nice grooves. Fuckin' wild live show.

Umphrey's McGee have a solid album out there called Anchor Drops. They are a jam band, but I love this cd to death.

There is a small local band that is now defuct called Heroic Doses, they have wonderful instrumental self-titled album. 2-3 minute jams, with great riffs and catchy hooks.

If you want to check out one song, I'd suggest "Farewell Transmission" by Songs: Ohia. It's Neil Young to the bones, but check out the killer lead guitar, oh man.

Local H is a great all-around band. Two man piece from IL. They have put out solid albums from their inception in the early nineties. Often compared with Nirvana as a song-writing stance. Check out Pack Up The Cats or As Good As Dead. Or even Here Comes The Zoo. All very solid rock records. Great lyrics, great hooks, great drums. Excellent live shows here as well.

Back to cheifin'....

If you check any of these out, let me know what you think.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Dredg are fucking amazing, listen to "catch without arms" and "el cielo". 2 fucking amazing albums
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    Dick Jones wrote:
    The new Feist album is pretty surprising, never heard of her until recently. Pretty relaxing for me, she has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard.

Explosions In The Sky is great if you can wrap your head around beautiful instrumental work. Think wide open horizons.

My Morning Jacket has quite a few solid albums, The Tennessee Fire being my fave.

The new Kings of Leon is a solid album. Energetic live band.

Sea and Cake - The Biz, a great album to groove to. It's kind of a jazzy rock record. Great for summer.

If you dig any prog-type music, Russian Circles have released a monster of an album (or EP) entitled Enter. Very solid from front to back. Great guitar work and phenomenal drumming.

I also think the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have a very solid two album effort. Show Your Bones, to me, is a pretty mind boggling album. Sexy voice, nice grooves. Fuckin' wild live show.

Umphrey's McGee have a solid album out there called Anchor Drops. They are a jam band, but I love this cd to death.

There is a small local band that is now defuct called Heroic Doses, they have wonderful instrumental self-titled album. 2-3 minute jams, with great riffs and catchy hooks.

If you want to check out one song, I'd suggest "Farewell Transmission" by Songs: Ohia. It's Neil Young to the bones, but check out the killer lead guitar, oh man.

Local H is a great all-around band. Two man piece from IL. They have put out solid albums from their inception in the early nineties. Often compared with Nirvana as a song-writing stance. Check out Pack Up The Cats or As Good As Dead. Or even Here Comes The Zoo. All very solid rock records. Great lyrics, great hooks, great drums. Excellent live shows here as well.

Back to cheifin'....

If you check any of these out, let me know what you think.

great informative response, i'll check out as many of these as i can. Thanks!
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I have to agree with everyone who already said Arcade Fire. Amazing live band, and their albums are great too.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    This may be a little too obvious, but if you're not yet into Zeppelin, I would recommend giving them a listen.

Also, the Screaming Headless Torsos are a jazz/funk/rock/fusion band, that is comprised of some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard. If you're into hearing something very different from Pearl Jam, but want to hear some incredible musicians, who play awesome music, and can certainly bring it live, I'd check these guys out.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Sawyer wrote:
    arcade fire as far as live shows....here is what is kicking my ass currently:

-Hold Steady
    -The Kooks
    -Peter Bjorn and John
    -Feist
    The Noisettes

the kooks????????????????????????? what the hell??????????? they suck?????
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Sawyer wrote:
    arcade fire as far as live shows....here is what is kicking my ass currently:

-Hold Steady
    -The Kooks
    -Peter Bjorn and John

seconded. especially the hold steady. one of the better live shows i've seen lately.

id also mention a band called brand new. their last cd 'devil and god are raging inside me' is fucking amazing, and so is 'deja entendu.' when i saw them in the spring, they completely blew me away. they played easily over 2 hours... ive never heard of a band doing that with only 3 albums since pearl jam. and they rocked so hard. it was amazing.
  • B niceB nice Posts: 182
    http://www.myspace.com/snowden

listen to
    between the rent
    life has nothing to do with killing time
    Bring it on cause I'm no victim

b nice loves pearl jam like ed vedder loves america
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    CLUTCH, c'mon people!!
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    The Replacements

Go buy "Let it Be", "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me" and crank it up. Best band of the 80's period.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • There are a few other pretty damn good bands out there!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    sj.brodie wrote:
    Currently listening to St Louis 98 with 'Oceans' as the opener. What a great show. I'm looking to "Expand my musical horizons" Is there really another band out there who can match Pearl Jam in terms of live performance and originality?

Any suggestions welcome!

The White Stripes
    Arcade Fire
    Kings of Leon

btw there is a lot of shite on this thread... someone gave this description earlier in the thread.... "the Screaming Headless Torsos are a jazz/funk/rock/fusion band, a jazz/funk/rock fusion?????? if anything scares me from a band its jazz!!!! pile of frozen piss
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    check out indie rock bands. Thats where I spend most of my listening time. Arcade Fire really are the cream of the crop. If people on this board suggest they are a better live band than PJ, I would seriously consider checking them out. They are a beacon of hope right now for alot of people. Myself included

Modest mouse

Death Cab

Iron and Wine

Clap your hands say yeah

!!!

The Shins

Damien Rice

Basically any band coming out of Montreal Canada

GodSpeed You Black Emperor

The Decemberists

Bloc party

Artic Monkeys

Interpol

Cat Power

Broken Social Scene
    Modest mouse
    Death Cab
    Iron and Wine
    Clap your hands say yeah
    !!!
    The Shins
    Damien Rice
    Basically any band coming out of Montreal Canada
    GodSpeed You Black Emperor
    The Decemberists
    Bloc party
    Artic Monkeys
    Interpol
    Cat Power
    Broken Social Scene

for all our disagreements, we have pretty similar tastes in music. those are some damn good bands.
  • with the release of their newest album it's the perfect time to get into Nine Inch Nails
  • Drive-By Truckers, great American southern rock band.

http://www.southernshelter.com/

You can grab a couple of their latest there...doing acoustic monster sets.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    The Replacements

Go buy "Let it Be", "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me" and crank it up. Best band of the 80's period.

Best video ever. A giant F You to their record company and MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYeiESiMCXs
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Drive-By Truckers, great American southern rock band.

A live show that rivals, if not surpasses, Pearl Jam. Great songwriting and musical composition.

Songs about Common Folks (Sink Hole), Growing Up (Zip City), Love/Lost Love (Women Without Whiskey / Goddamn Lonely Love / Feb 14.), politics (Puttin' People On The Moon / The Three Great Alabama Icons), and Great Storytelling Songs (A World Of Hurt / Outfit / 18 Wheels of Love-Live Version).

Sadly, Jason just left the band...so check out Sirens of the Ditch when it's released this summer. Dress Blues is one of the saddest songs about the aftermath of war.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    The Replacements

TOTALLY TRUE ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    TOTALLY TRUE ...

Jose you have impeccable taste....lol.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I find most people who like pearl jam that i make a mixed wilco disc for tend to enjoy it.

It is so hard to tell people where to start with wilco though because albums can be so different.

I got Yankee Hotel Foxtrot first and i did not like it at first. Put it down and 6 months later listened to it again and i dug it more. Then i saw them live and it all clicked. Great live band. Great Lyrics. SImple melodies. They are not as "rockin" as pearl jam and not as many wild solo's espcially not as many on the earlier stuff but a great little band in my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    intodeep wrote:
    I find most people who like pearl jam that i make a mixed wilco disc for tend to enjoy it.

I've tried and I just can't get into Wilco...everyone I know likes them...I feel guilty.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    Ryan Adams, no not Bryan Adams, Ryan Adams. He and his band kick ass.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
    Galaxie2X4 wrote:
    Ryan Adams, no not Bryan Adams, Ryan Adams. He and his band kick ass.

they sucked at lollapalooza last year... but then, so did built to spill i guess, and i love them.
    I've tried and I just can't get into Wilco...everyone I know likes them...I feel guilty.

PBM

Me too. They kind of put me to sleep.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    i'd have to suggest My Morning Jacket. in my opinion they are the best live band out there right now, besides my all time favorite, Pearl Jam. anyway not only have they not released a bad album (they have 4 studio lp's) but all of them i would say are great. a good starter for them would be the okonokos double live album. it's got a great mix of songs from all of their albums, and it's verry accessible for someone just getting into the band.

on a sidenote i just picked up the new of Montreal album. It's pretty solid as well but i'd say they are more of an acquired taste so i can't promise you'd appreciate their music. but if you can't dig My Morning Jacket, you might want to check your pulse.
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    I second the Wilco notion. It takes time for them to evolve for you (it did for me) but when it clicked for me it put them right there with PJ as my favorite band. Another suggestion would be Spoon, who I'm really getting into lately. Just good music.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB