best way to listen to music

sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Ever wondered what is the best way to hear music? (i mean besides going to a show)

Turn all the lights out in your room at night and open a window to circulate some air. Lie on your bed with your eyes closed, listening to music(not on earphones) Do not fall asleep. Feel the breeze from outside as you listen and let any thought enter your mind.

It's amazing what difference it makes being in complete darkness. This definately makes your hearing more responsive to the music. Similar to being at the movies. You will even hear things you didn't hear before. So simple and so effective. Try it!

I recommend 'Point Blank' by Bruce Springsteen
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hodgehodge Posts: 519
    joint + driving down the highway at night
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Smoke a joint, dim the lights and sit in my living room...I've spent some time (and money) creating the perfect (for me) experience. Some may find it cheesy but I don't care. 8 foot waterfall to look at w/ changing colors. Computer hooked up to 60 inch plasma using Media Portal as media center and G-Force visualization for some really bad ass visualizations.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2310533177_b3d70b853f.jpg?v=0

Looking out my window from couch I see this view (better at night....in summer can see the fireworks from Navy Pier)
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2310534091_b11a92f0c7.jpg?v=0

Bonus points for having a guitar in hand and playing along with the song
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • walking and listening music with my earphones is the best for me...
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Dark room, soft bed, headphones.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Depends on the music.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    LOUD!!!
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • It depends on the music, but for me personally, driving 90 on a highway in the middle of nowhere while the sun is going down. (speakers blasting of course).
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    tybird wrote:
    Dark room, soft bed, headphones.
    The only way.

Course I listen when I am on my computer but the preferred way, especially when putting in the work with some new music, is in bed, in the dark with some good quality headphones.

Only trouble is falling asleep if I'm actually tired and the music is of a more mellow persuasion.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    With my ears.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    glasshouse wrote:
    LOUD!!!

That's the first thing that came to my mind as in ACDC and others.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    here's how i listen to TOOL.

a little nag champa. dark room. headphones. window open(always). lying on my bed. eyes closed. drifting off to wherever.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Lying in my bed in the dark with headphones :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    hodge wrote:
    word
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Lying in my bed in the dark with headphones :)
    word to you too
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
    hodge wrote:
    I'm all for smoking weed but getting stoned and driving isn't a very good idea.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • hodge wrote:
    Yes!!

Just go in one direction until you feel like you've gone far enough. Love it!

On a related note, I really, really miss my car :(.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm all for smoking weed but getting stoned and driving isn't a very good idea.
    Sure it is. Stoned and Drunk are two completely different things. Marijuana relaxes you and enhances your vision (in some ways). That plus my own paranoia make me into a much better stoned driver than I ever am sober.

The slowed reaction time is a drawback, but if you're a safe driver or at least not a dumbass the worst you'll do is miss a turn. ;)

"Make our day"
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    stoned + comfy bed + noise-cancelling headphones + absolute darkness
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    1. In a car with friends and/or family while travelling down the highway. Music is such an essential part of any road trip. There's nothing like it.

2. At a live concert.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    BinFrog wrote:
    With my ears.

works for me.
    Sure it is. Stoned and Drunk are two completely different things. Marijuana relaxes you and enhances your vision (in some ways). That plus my own paranoia make me into a much better stoned driver than I ever am sober.

The slowed reaction time is a drawback, but if you're a safe driver or at least not a dumbass the worst you'll do is miss a turn. ;)
    yeah or miss the brakes and kill someone :rolleyes:
    jeez, driving is already dangerous as fuck when completely unaffected by any drugs. getting high or drunk are equally stupid. Sure, you might be LESS likely to kill someone when high than drunk but really, what difference do probabilities make when it happens?

I don't mean to sound preachy, I have no problem with alcohol or any other drug but I'd be less likely to forgive and forget if someone killed a loved one because they were too "relaxed" and not as alert as they should have been than I would if it was just bad luck.

besides, the only real way to listen to music is in the dark with headphones. every little detail is important.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    jeez, driving is already dangerous as fuck when completely unaffected by any drugs. getting high or drunk are equally stupid. Sure, you might be LESS likely to kill someone when high than drunk but really, what difference do probabilities make when it happens?

I don't mean to sound preachy, I have no problem with alcohol or any other drug but I'd be less likely to forgive and forget if someone killed a loved one because they were too "relaxed" and not as alert as they should have been than I would if it was just bad luck.

besides, the only real way to listen to music is in the dark with headphones. every little detail is important.
    It's an interesting issue that's for sure. I respect your opinion - and there are some people that I wouldn't let behind a wheel when they're stoned.

Alone in the dark is great but I prefer my music in an atmosphere (rather than removing the atmosphere as is the case with the dark thing). Dig? :)

"Make our day"

Alone in the dark is great but I prefer my music in an atmosphere (rather than removing the atmosphere as is the case with the dark thing). Dig? :)
    If the music doesn't provide enough of an atmosphere when completely removed from extraneous stimuli, it shouldn't be listened to by anyone :)

I do like listening to music when in a car/bus or whatever but generally only music I already know. If I'm listening to music I'm not familiar with it has to have the dark treatment.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    If the music doesn't provide enough of an atmosphere when completely removed from extraneous stimuli, it shouldn't be listened to by anyone :)

I do like listening to music when in a car/bus or whatever but generally only music I already know. If I'm listening to music I'm not familiar with it has to have the dark treatment.
    touche'!

BUT the charm of how music can effect a situation, a group, an event, or whatever you're doing is so fascinating and enjoyable.

Man, I'm getting Almost Famous flashbacks.. :p

What do you love most about music.. ?

Well to begin with........ everything

"Make our day"
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    stoned + comfy bed + noise-cancelling headphones + absolute darkness

I want to second this formula.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    BUT the charm of how music can effect a situation, a group, an event, or whatever you're doing is so fascinating and enjoyable.

Bullseye!

that reminds me of how someone here on the board (cant remember who) once described walking thru a busy city street, and then putting Sigur Ros on the headphones "made the scenery change".

personally walking slowly with no destination, maybe a slight drizzle, at night round my neighbourhood with headphones does the trick.
    that or else driving up the mountains on a sunny day, windows down and volume up
  • PJBlissPJBliss Posts: 47
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I agree completely. I was just reading a forum post on ateasweb and the poster said that his or her brother's co-worker's sister was killed by a driver who was high.
    For all those who think it's cool to drive high...you should not have a licence.
  • NEWSFLASH:

If you were to pull over random drivers most would be under the influence of something. Liquor, weed, beer, pills, cold medicine, prescriptions.

Just don't drive fucked up. :)

back on topic:

I like to do the headphones thing like everyone else. But instead of a cold dark room. I like sitting outside in the sun with my shades on and eyes closed.
    NERDS!