Love for The Who Thread

sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Let's talk about The Who. Fave album and fave song!

Album : Odds & Sodds
Song : Water
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i think i have posted enough in here to express my love for the who. also, can't pick a fave, but if at gunpoint now, i'd say:

cd: odds and sods
    song: faith in something bigger...

maybe.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I have to go with Who's Next, but my favorite Who song is Eminence Front
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    well baba o riley is one of if not the greatest rock n roll songs of all time. F*ck me I love that song. Never gets boring. Other than that?

Magic Bus is just fantastic. Such a cool song.

I Can See For Miles too.

There are so many!

My Generation is obvious but can't go unmentioned.
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    Album: Quadrophenia
    Song: (at the moment) Drowned

Quadrophenia is one of those life changing albums for me (yes, I'm old!). The bloody 'Oo .... can't wait to see them again, for the n-teenth time, but they're not coming to SF this year (so far anyway). I might have to go to LA, Portland or Seattle! ;)
  • Album: Quadrophenia....I just love "I'm One," "Bellboy," "The Punk & The Godfather," "Dr. Jimmy," "Cut My Hair," and "515." Of course, the album is best played start to finish, as it tells a whole story, but those are my faves.

Song: Honestly, I have to go with one of the big ones. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is too awesome for words. I don't think there was anything remotely like it before it came out. Sort of like a massive ripple on the timeline of rock music. Great lyrics, fantastic music, plus I love the way the music kind of fades out the last 4 minutes of the song.

also, there is something about "The Kids are Alright" that I have always really loved too.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Right now, I'm really enjoying the live bonus disk from the Deluxe "Who's Next". Live at the Young Vic. That band was unstoppable from 69-73.

I just finished the book "Moon". Let's just say that I've dusted off all my Who records and cd's and they are getting alot of airplay.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Milestone wrote:
    I just finished the book "Moon". Let's just say that I've dusted off all my Who records and cd's and they are getting alot of airplay.

I think I mentioned this before, but the bank that I work at has one of those music services that plays all day. Fortunately, I work with some cool people. We turned off the usual 'easy listening' station and went to classic rock. Whoever picked the playlist for this thing must love the Who, because I'd wager 2 songs per hour are Who. And not just what you'd expect. Along with "Won't Get Fooled Again," and "I Can See For Miles" we get a healthy dose of "My Wife," "Cut My Hair,' and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere"
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • i don't care what anyone else says, i say tommy is their best. listening to it makes me feel good.
    that's faarkokte.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    'Quadrophenia' - Great story. I love how the main character, Jimmy, takes on each seperate and distinct characteristics or the band members... A tough guy, a helpless dancer. A romantic, is it me for a moment? A bloody lunatic, I’ll even carry your bags. A beggar, a hypocrite, love reign over me.
    Schizophrenic? I’m Bleeding Quadrophenic.
    'The Rock' - I love the way the four pieces that define each character of the band comes together in the end.
    And I was fortunate enough to see The Who in 1973, 1976 and 1980... and as much as I love to see Pearl Jam live... all other bands stand in the shadow cast by The Who in their prime. The Greatest Live Band to ever rock the planet. A true Rock Show.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O Reilly
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    no one knows what it's like
    to be the bad man
    to be the sad man
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Album Quadrophenia
    Song My Generation
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    Cosmo wrote:
    'Quadrophenia' - Great story. I love how the main character, Jimmy, takes on each seperate and distinct characteristics or the band members... A tough guy, a helpless dancer. A romantic, is it me for a moment? A bloody lunatic, I’ll even carry your bags. A beggar, a hypocrite, love reign over me.
    Schizophrenic? I’m Bleeding Quadrophenic.
    'The Rock' - I love the way the four pieces that define each character of the band comes together in the end.
    And I was fortunate enough to see The Who in 1973, 1976 and 1980... and as much as I love to see Pearl Jam live... all other bands stand in the shadow cast by The Who in their prime. The Greatest Live Band to ever rock the planet. A true Rock Show.

Cosmo, I'm with ya! That album has to be one of my all time favorites, if not THE all time favorite! And aren't you the lucky b**tard! Unfortunately I wasn't into the Who during that time (too young) but I love hearing about the shows with Moonie, especially from the 67-75 period.