John Mayor

pearlposterfanpearlposterfan Posts: 102
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Newsflash:

He doesn't suck.

A friend gave me his new album awhile back.
At the time I wasn't to hip on it.

After listening to the whole thing and having some time to digest it, the after taste was very sweet.
His version of Hendrix's 'Bold as Love' is no 'Jimi Thing', but it is pretty plesant to my ears.

'Waiting on the World to Change' is such as a nice song to. It is just 'one of those tunes'.

Just thought that a small portion of the world should know.
-PPFan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Who is this John Mayor?

I hope he's alot better than that fag who spells his last name with an er at the end.

That guy really sucks.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Who is this John Mayor?

I hope he's alot better than that fag who spells his last name with an er at the end.

That guy really sucks.

i'm listening to john mayer sing in repair as i write this. sure he can get sappy with his words but he articulates what we all feel even when we're too pigheaded to admit it.

and he doesn't suck as much as some. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Who is this John Mayor?

That guy really sucks.

it always amazes me how some people have time to spread hate, and talk complete nonsense in cyberspace. my momma taught me a lesson a long time ago that i still how close..."if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"

there is no time to hate. if you choose to dislike something, and tell the whole world, please spend a minute and tell us why, otherwise your opinion is extremely disposable, which your post obviously is...

as far as john goes. i jumped on board with that trio cd and then bought continuum when it came out. i then bought the live dvd. i don't think i need to go back any furthur into the vault but from here on in i'll be buying every new release he delivers
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Who is this John Mayor?

That guy really sucks.

Someone else who hasn't heard anything other than "Daughters" and "Your Body is a Wonderland"...
  • John's running for mayor?

I won't vote for the bastard. I heard he hates babies. That's not cool.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • his "radio hits" are a pain to listen to but, everything else i've heard from him is good. really good guitarist and creative as well.

i havn't heard a lot of his stuf but, do have his live cd and have seen him on the television a few times. he's a pretty good musician.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ive heard he can play guitar well, i just cant stand his voice. your body is a wonderland is one of the worst songs of all time. and he paved the way for too many pussy singer-songwriters like david gray and daniel powter and jack johnson and a whole host of other little boys singing about how they wished they had pubes. i dont know if i can forgive him for that.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    John Mayer would be tolerable if his songs were all instrumental. his voice sounds like Dave Matthews with Downs Syndrome
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    I just got turned on to Continuum last week, and it is an excellent album from start to finish, not a weak track.
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • larslars Posts: 524
    He´s one of them artists that are good on radio but weak at home on your stereo
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Someone else who hasn't heard anything other than "Daughters" and "Your Body is a Wonderland"...

word

i don't think anyone who likes geetar playing can same a bad thing about john and i always find many people pass judgment on somethings they no very little about, especially when it comes to liking and disliking music.

it's impossible not to give kudos to that live cd...3 peice bands that rawk are in a class of their own. power trios are my faves.
  • the album "try!" is one of my all time favorites. i think once he gets the respect he deserves, he will go down as one of the top 5 guitarists of all time.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • the album "try!" is one of my all time favorites. i think once he gets the respect he deserves, he will go down as one of the top 5 guitarists of all time.

"one of the top guitarists of all time" ?

belief is a beautiful armor
  • "one of the top guitarists of all time" ?

belief is a beautiful armor

listen to some of his jam sessions with buddy guy.

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it always amazes me how some people have time to spread hate, and talk complete nonsense in cyberspace. my momma taught me a lesson a long time ago that i still how close..."if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"

there is no time to hate. if you choose to dislike something, and tell the whole world, please spend a minute and tell us why, otherwise your opinion is extremely disposable, which your post obviously is...

as far as john goes. i jumped on board with that trio cd and then bought continuum when it came out. i then bought the live dvd. i don't think i need to go back any furthur into the vault but from here on in i'll be buying every new release he delivers

actually you should look for the acoustic stuff he did before he did the first two pop albums. Most of it is live, and it's fantastic. I never liked anything he did with an electric until Trio and Continuum and those two are solid. He's a very good songwriter and a very good player, I forgive the cheesy first two albums because hey everybody has to pay bills too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    actually you should look for the acoustic stuff he did before he did the first two pop albums. Most of it is live, and it's fantastic. I never liked anything he did with an electric until Trio and Continuum and those two are solid. He's a very good songwriter and a very good player, I forgive the cheesy first two albums because hey everybody has to pay bills too.

thanks for the tip

i did buy a copy of the "village sessions" which is bascially a 6-7 song mini cd all acoustic mostly(all?) continuum songs...one song is with ben harper. that is a great cd worth owning.
  • listen to some of his jam sessions with buddy guy.

ok thanks for the tip...but "top five" ??? lol
  • i like his music. I dig that he isnt into the teen idol crap despite the fact alot of teen girls like him. Instead of following up one of his more successful records with a sappy top 10 album, MTV type crap, he formed a blues band. I think thats pretty cool. Seems like he is into experimenting musically as opposed to writing more "wonderland" type songs.

Also I like the fact he exposed people to the idea of a quarter life crisis.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    you wanna talk about john mayer being a great guitar player? why? 'cause he rips off mid-80's clapton? 'cause he plays stevie ray vaughn solos? what the fuck? 80's CLAPTON!?? you've gotta be kidding me. that shit's for grammy voters.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • He's a good guitar player, but I'm just no keen on his voice.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • he does this weird thing on some of his songs where he strums with his index finger and then picks with the rest of them at the same time. its crazy.