Options

Tom Petty might sue RHCP.

CrownofThornsMSG1CrownofThornsMSG1 Posts: 172
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Cause of the The chord progression, the melody, the tempo, the key, the lyrical theme of Dani California and Last Dance With Mary Jane are identical he is claiming. Rick Rubin produced both songs which is funny.
1998- MSG 1
2003- MSG 1 & 2
2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
2008- MSG 1 & 2
2008- EV NYC 2
2010- Hartford
2016- MSG 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    fuck tom petty, he's just a bob dylan wanna-be, the chili peppers are a million times better than he is
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Last Dance is a million times better song than fuckin' "Overplayed".....I mean Dani California.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    cobainkidcobainkid Posts: 17
    that's retarded, those songs don't even sound that much the same. also, it's purely the versesm the choruses don't even resemble one another
  • Options
    BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I'm a CCR fan myself.
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Come on, this topic has been beaten to death. There are already numerous threads about this on the board already. By the way, Petty's camp hasn't said shit about suing. This rumour was started by a gossip mag. Those DJs that were comparing the two songs also sped up Mary Jane in order to support their argument.

Also, if the Peppers ripped off Petty then Petty ripped off Lynyrd Skynyrd. Both songs sound similar to Sweet Home Alabama.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    If tom petty does sue RHCP, then Petty will probably lose. Here is why: this goes back to the whole David Bowie/ Queen/ Vanilla Ice thing. There was a lawsuit over that, and the lawsuit was tossed out by a judge, due to one of vanilla's notes being a wee bit higher in the musical composition. This blew my mind as those two tracks are EXACTLY the same. While Dani California, does resemble a bass riff similar to the TP song, it is played at faster tempo, and has the funk element embedded in it that defined the chili peppers. In the music biz, it is to my understanding that, an artists, can get away with the whole originallity thing as long as there is a different note (according to the under pressure/ice ice baby issue. RHCP'S john Fuscante (sp) did indeed create his OWN guitar hooks, and solo for the song. Anthony Keidis does not sing the song like Tom either. We shall see what happens. I honestly think this is the weakest RHCP song ever, but the rules in music differ in the world of infringement as oposed to plagerism over a book or a quote lifted from an author. The music biz is more leanient. If ever in doubt though, bands shold thank the original artist, and then not even the thought of suing could begin.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    fuck tom petty, he's just a bob dylan wanna-be, the chili peppers are a million times better than he is

reverse that.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Bremerton wrote:
    I'm a CCR fan myself.

reverse THAT.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    brain of c wrote:
    reverse that.

Bob Dylan is a Petty wannabe?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Bob Dylan is a Petty wannabe?
    He is not a wannabe, but they are BOTH traveling Wilburys!!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009

i wholeheartedly concur
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451

Wow, if they do get sued, the RHCPs should hire you as their lawyer if you can make such intelligent responses!
  • Options
    WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    Isn't Mary Jane a Dylan song anyways? RHCP are just regurgatating the same Californifaction/ By the Way material (like U2 with their last 2 albums trying to be similar to their 80's work). They need to try and break new grounds or experiment some.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• Options
    Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
    One of those things I really dont understand...

I'm rooting for Tom Petty here, the song was 'his' before it was RHCPs but why sue? Tom Petty has gotta be pretty damn rich already, its not like the whole song was copied anyway. I just dont understand why Petty cant just think "No biggie" and let it slide, I sure as hell would. Money isn't the root of all evil, greed is.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    tom petty is fucking great.

the chili peppers suck.

I hope he does sue them and he wins. then they'd be fucked out of all their royalties.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    brainofPjBbrainofPjB Posts: 57
    i was pretty sure vanilla ice settled that lawsuit out of court with queen/david bowie. the judge didn't toss it out. as for this issue, i guess i'd be pissed if people were making money of my work and i didn't get credit for it.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • Options
    Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
    Really? I'd be kinda flattered.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    PETTY IS NOT SUING THE CHILLI PEPPERS. It is just a rumor. Rolling Stone had a little blurb about it and Petty was most certainly not upset with it.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Just heard it and I don't think Petty has a case.Nirvana got sued for stealing the riff of Come As You Are off of Killing Jokes song,''Eighties.'' Nirvana won and those riffs were identical so I don't see Petty winning.

And I've just realised,what a Dylan wannabe.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options

aww, is somebody sad that mr. john frusciante (sp?) accidently ripped off a "bob dylan wanna-be"???
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    red mos wrote:
    Here is why: this goes back to the whole David Bowie/ Queen/ Vanilla Ice thing. There was a lawsuit over that, and the lawsuit was tossed out by a judge, due to one of vanilla's notes being a wee bit higher in the musical composition. This blew my mind as those two tracks are exactly the same
    "there's goes 'den-den-den-den-da da den den', mines goes 'den den den den da da den den tstt' . . .its not the same"

funniest shit ever from "behind the music"
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    it happens sometimes. they do sound similar, but i dont think its a ripoff. i like both the chili peppers and tom petty. . .reminds me of when they were saying pj was rippin off zepplin for "given to fly", saying it sounds alot like "going to california". as was the case then, the songs sound similar but have enough differences to merit them both being good songs
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    The radio here talked about this last week, played the 2 songs over top one another with alternating verses. it was kinda cool, but with so much happening it fucks with your mind..

alos mentioned was that theres an older song that has the same riff as Dani California and Mary Jane's Last Dance.. I wish I could remember the name of it or who it was. So there's really no case for Petty if he did want to sue.

By the way, I like both Petty & the Chili Peppers.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~