Essential Motown/Stax albums

ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
edited August 2008 in Other Music
What would you all say are some of the essential Motown, Stax, or any albums that were part of that whole sound?
"If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    this is probably the best music ever recorded. But most of it is singles. Not many classic albums I would say. Stevie Wonder, I'm not sure when he left motown but anything by him is essential. As is What's Going On by Marvin Gaye.

Martha Reeves and The Vandellas had some great tunes but again, no classic album....unless you include compilations. Then we're talking.
  • Bettye LaVette - Child of the Seventies
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Neither on Motown nor Stax by You Got My Mind Messed Up by James Carr is probably the best soul album I've ever heard. Pouring Water On A Drowning Man is just incredible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Any Booker T & the MG's record (and to an extent any album they play on which is pretty much every Stax album from say 65-69, the glory years, is worth it)
    Sam and Dave - Hold on I'm Coming Lp

Obviously any Otis Redding album is worth the price
    If you can dig female vocalists Carla Thomas' Carla lp is great.

These are all Stax albums. In the last couple of years I have become slightly obsessed with this record company. Really if your just getting into Stax they released a great 50th anniversary double disc (the first disc is supreme) that offers a nice taste of all their acts and strongly recommend.
    oh shit i almost forgot:

I'm a Loser by Doris Duke. That is a classic relatively unknown gem. I strongly recommend that if you're in to the powerful aretha franklin type soul. She's deep. Great voice!
    oh shit i almost forgot:

I'm a Loser by Doris Duke. That is a classic relatively unknown gem. I strongly recommend that if you're in to the powerful aretha franklin type soul. She's deep. Great voice!

Oh and Everything is Everything by Donny Hathaway.

Superfly - Curtis Mayfield

But I don't think any of that was on the motown label. Superfly may have been stax?

Heh, I guess there are a few :-p
  • Get a Wilson Pickett greatest hits too. That man had a hell of a voice.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Just to reiterate... JAMES CARR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_BiZBCgH4
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Some of the greatest music ever made my friend.

STAX

Booker T & The MG's
    Ottis Redding
    Sam Cooke
    Wilson Picket
    Sam and Dave

Motown and Tamla:

Stevie Wonder
    Marvin Gaye
    Smokey Robinson
    The Miracles
    Temptations
    Jimmy Ruffin
    Jr. Walker
    Four Tops
    Isley Brothers
    Supremes
    Marvelettes
    Mary Wells
    Isley Brothers
    Edwin Starr
    Jackson 5

Motown and Tamla cranked out alot of amazing 45's in the day. The singles were where it was at and it was the bulk of Motown's focus. The albums acted more as a collection of hit singles rather than long players.

Stax although heavily focused on the 45' had artists like Ottis Redding, Sam Cooke, and Wilson Picket whom made the switch immediately to heavily focusing on producing qaulity albums as opposed to just making singles.

If you're looking for a compilation...There are a couple of great Mowtown box sets out there mainly..."The Mowtown Sound", "Motown Box" and simply a box set called "Motown". All of which cover some amazing music.

STAX is also in the works with Rhino to release a Blue Ray interactive 5 DVD disc covering the history of the STAX label. I think it's due to release sometime in 2009.

Later
  • ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been listening to Sam Cooke: Live at the Harlem Square Club nonstop for the past week so that had me wanting more. I grew up listing to all of the big singles from this era but i guess i was just wondering about more of the lesser known stuff. Also there is no need to limit this to just Motown or Stax, and good music with soul is great.

And by the way im liking James Carr quite a bit right now.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
    ntt117 wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been listening to Sam Cooke: Live at the Harlem Square Club nonstop for the past week so that had me wanting more. I grew up listing to all of the big singles from this era but i guess i was just wondering about more of the lesser known stuff. Also there is no need to limit this to just Motown or Stax, and good music with soul is great.

And by the way im liking James Carr quite a bit right now.
    Live at the Harlem Square is probably my favourite live album ever. The man had so much energy. The room is just alive.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    ntt117 wrote:
    What would you all say are some of the essential Motown, Stax, or any albums that were part of that whole sound?

anything by Motown or Stax is worth buying

but may I suggest a video thats out of the Stax Records Family....from Norway....its about as good as it gets.

http://www.amazon.com/Stax-Volt-Revue-Live-Norway/dp/B000UB054U/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1218152250&sr=8-7