Options

A Dilly of a pickle I'm in right now

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited March 2008 in The Porch
here's the situation, I'm coming to the USA for the summer. I'll be staying in San Diego for 3 months or so on a student work Visa which requires me to get a job within 18 days of arriving. I'm arriving on June 3rd with a stopoover in JFK along the way. Now, I have just enough money to get tickets for both nights at the garden and fly over. The problem: wahtever crappy temp job I get will be none too pleased about me jetting off to New York only a few days after I start working. So here are my options:

1 - Stay in San Diego and cry myself to sleep for misssing out on my only opportunity to see Pearl Jam at the garden.

2 - Risk losing my job and possibly getting sent home halfway through my holiday for the sake of seeing Pearl Jam 3 years in a row.

3 - Ditch my 6 other friends who are going over with me, stay in New York from June 3rd for the whole summer, get a job there instead and possibly take in more shows on the tour.

4 - Same as 3 exept instead of ditching my friends I persuade them to take a small financial hit and stay in New York too.

Currently, option 2 is top of my list. What do you think I should do?
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    call in sick
    go to msg and then back to CA
    u'll look like hell from all the traveling
    so it will be believable

:)
  • Options
    call in sick
    so it will be believable

I like it. I was going to go with the dying relative excuse though :p
  • Options
    u just have to b the perfect employ from the start
    always on time
    never call in sick
    and then poof
    all of the sudden food poisoning or horrible cold or something

but don't kill off relatives
    haha
    I like it. I was going to go with the dying relative excuse though :p
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    by the sound of it, the job you're getting within 18 days won't be that great, so just get the first job, go to the shows, and if they have a problem with in, line something up for when you return from msg - however, if the initial job you get is constructive for your career path, well then tell them you've got family from europe in that week and you would like off to travel the coast with them - i'd say these are your 2 best options, but i haven't given it that much thought, good luck
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    McJuicy wrote:
    by the sound of it, the job you're getting within 18 days won't be that great, so just get the first job, go to the shows, and if they have a problem with in, line something up for when you return from msg - however, if the initial job you get is constructive for your career path, well then tell them you've got family from europe in that week and you would like off to travel the coast with them - i'd say these are your 2 best options, but i haven't given it that much thought, good luck
    You're right about the job. ALthough it's required by the visa, it's really just something to fill up the days. I'm liking the advice here btw :p
  • Options
    Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    That is a problem man!, il be maybe heading over for like 4-5 days for the MSG shows, id go with being a really good employee then pretend you are really ill and fly out to New York, for the gigs man, Are your friends PJ fans too?
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Options
    def have something lined up
    but still be a fab employee at the first job
    u don't want to cause unnecessary stress

people get sick
    you r a foreigner
    u didn't know it wasn't a good idea to eat daily from te street vendor
    haha!
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Hitch.. as Mcjuicy said.... Get a job, any job. You're irish.. use your accent to charm them into letting you have a week. They're used to people coming and going in crappy jobs. If they don't let you have the week, quit and find another one when you get back. Loads of crappy jobs around! Like that you will have fulfilled your visa requirements.

Have a great time!
  • Options
    wait can you get any job?

or do you have to have something specific?
  • Options
    wait can you get any job?

or do you have to have something specific?
    Any job at all. Do you have an offer? ;)
    I could actually be employed in Colorado and be living in Cali. I know a guy who had a relative who helped him scam the system like that. He got to do his thing all summer, but he was on the books in his uncles company.
  • Options
    really?

so what is the problem?

go to your job and be excellent, have another lined up, get sick go to msg, if they get rid of you, move on.

I thought u needed a contract or something.

yay! enjoy the show!
  • Options
    really?

so what is the problem?

go to your job and be excellent, have another lined up, get sick go to msg, if they get rid of you, move on.

I thought u needed a contract or something.

yay! enjoy the show!
    Well, to be honest I just hate being a bad employee. And I'm not sure how easy or hard it'll be to get short term jobs over there. I suppose I shouldn't worry so much.
  • Options
    great now I feel guilty about my advice

umm
    I am not clear on how it works, but if u were an excellent employee and became sick but as soon as u were able to move u were back at work, it should be fine.

no smiling when u r back at work after pj!
  • Options
    great now I feel guilty about my advice

umm
    I am not clear on how it works, but if u were an excellent employee and became sick but as soon as u were able to move u were back at work, it should be fine.

no smiling when u r back at work after pj!
    Don't feel guilty. I was hoping for this advice :D Screw it! It's my holiday, I'm there to have fun. Now all I have to do is get tickets :)
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    You only live once. This is a job you just need to "have" -- not one that challenges you or you need for your career. Go to the show. You can get another job within a short period of time. Work at Sunglass Hut. Down in San Diego, you could bus tables, clean off the bottoms of yachts, work on a fishing boat, be a deck hand, work in food service, do data entry, get a retail job folding clothes at Macy's, etc. Just see the shows.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    More endorsements for option 2. I like it!
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    Are you planning to travel the west coast? No offense to San Diego, but I think you'd be bored stiff there for 3 months. Definitely go to NY.
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I like what people are saying about taking time off right when u start. If they end up firing you, get any job. Any shit job that u have to do and find a better one while staying on the payroll.

You don't need to have the same job. Just stay on payroll anywhere.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    manhattan wrote:
    Are you planning to travel the west coast? No offense to San Diego, but I think you'd be bored stiff there for 3 months. Definitely go to NY.

He said the original plan is in San Diego. Depends on his interests. San Diego is a cool town.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    He said the original plan is in San Diego. Depends on his interests. San Diego is a cool town.
    I personally would've preferred somewhere else. Too many Irish students go to San Diego now, but I joined the trip late so it was already decided.
  • Options
    or #4
    call in sick
    so it will be believable

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    Any job at all. Do you have an offer? ;)
    I could actually be employed in Colorado and be living in Cali. I know a guy who had a relative who helped him scam the system like that. He got to do his thing all summer, but he was on the books in his uncles company.

hehe, welcome to America.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    2 - Risk losing my job and possibly getting sent home halfway through my holiday for the sake of seeing Pearl Jam 3 years in a row.
    /quote]

Do what ya gotta do...would you feel guilty for not taking the opportunity to see them in New York? If yes...GO TO NEW YORK!!!! And have a blast for the rest of us stuck here. No doubt you'll hear Education once more! :D
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    It's clear now that I don't have a choice in the matter.

[Waynes World impression]I will go to the concert, Oh yes, I will go to the concert[/Waynes World impression]
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    getting fired to see pearl jam..... sometimes I just don't get people....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Well, it's not definite yet.
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    It's clear now that I don't have a choice in the matter.

[Waynes World impression]I will go to the concert, Oh yes, I will go to the concert[/Waynes World impression]

No, you dont have a choice. You're representing Europe. Make the boys come back to us!!!!!!!!!!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options

This is not a career. It's a busy work job. You only live once.

If I were studying abroad somewhere and PJ was playing in the country, there is no way I would miss it.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495

Yeah. I dont get it.

I have seen 30+ shows, and I plan to see 30+ more.

But I wouldn't do anything to risk losing my job, wife, family, work visa, or any other life-changing-type thing.

If I was in college and I was blowing off a class and selling some CD's to get tour money, thats a different story. (Heck, have a keg party to rasie travel funds.)

But its really not worth it to risk your well-being.

What if you have a job that has health benefits, then you decide to blow it all on a few concerts, then get fired, then get in a car accident, and cant pay for your hospital bills becasue you dont have benefits anymore.......

To the original poster.....what if you cant find another job, (as finding a job is tough right now in the US) and end up getting sent back?

Would it have been worth it?

EDIT: I dont have a wife, children, etc, but there was another thread where the guy was contemplating leaving his pregnant to go see a pearl jam show two weeks before her due date.

Thats kinda ridiculous.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    If you get fired, does you ability to stay in this country get effected?