Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    Great band.

Best Album is De Stijl.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I think they are fantastic.

Best Album?

Well, White Blood Cells is that rare CD that was appreciated by both casual music fans and snob fans alike. No easy feat IMO. I think it deserved every single rave review it received. It is my favorite still.

If you would rather listen to a CD that may be a touch less user friendly, I'd hit De Stijl for sure. I am listening to it now.

the others I enjoy to varying degrees. Like them all however I don't find a stand out amongst the rest.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    deadnote wrote:
    what do you all think of this band whats the best album etc

Love the stripes although I didn't care too much for the self titled album.
    Icky thump and De Stijl are my faves. hard to pick between those two honestly.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Great band.

Best Album is De Stijl.

easily the best album.

love the stripes, seen them twice now, get better meg!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    "Effect and Cause" just came up on my iPod. :)

Elephant is my favorite - there's not a bad song on there. There's No Home For You Here and Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine are killer.

I was all excited to see them at the Austin City Limits festival last year until they cancelled! Aaargh! Come back Jack and Meg! We miss you!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Overall a great band. Very unique, good stuff. They have A LOT of throwaway songs though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • BibbsBibbs Posts: 229
    for the beginner fan i'd recommend Elephant as a starting point, but then they must buy White Blood Cells & Icky Thump also.
    ••• Immortality •••
    www.myspace.com/kosmicjelli
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Absolutely LOVE the Stripes...finally got to see them here when they came to Moncton! I was front row, to Jack's side! Amazing concert.

I'd say Elephant and then White Blood Cells are my two top. De Stijl coming very close @ third though!
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    DOSW wrote:
    Overall a great band. Very unique, good stuff. They have A LOT of throwaway songs though.
    That's a great point, they are great, all of their albums are really good(although I personally don't like the straight blues-rock style of their self-titled as much as their others), but even their best albums have forgettable tracks.

De Stijl is my favorite, followed by WBC and Elephant, then I think Icky Thump & Get Behind Me Satan are about on the same level.
  • it's all about the black keys
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • wow... I can't believe nobody said Get Behind Me Satan as the best! that one is far above the others for me... I have all of em and none compare to the greatness of get behind me satan
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    wow... I can't believe nobody said Get Behind Me Satan as the best! that one is far above the others for me... I have all of em and none compare to the greatness of get behind me satan

I think it's the 2nd best, behind De Stijl...3rd is White Blood Cells, then Icky Thump, then Elephant...the self titled is only ok.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Love the Stripes. All the albums are great in their own way. It is good to see the love for GBMS for a poster or two....it is a stellar album.