nine inch nails

deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
edited December 2006 in Other Music
any thoughts on the body of work from nin?
set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Love Trent Reznor, and love basically everything he's done.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • yea nin is my favorite band
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I came to them late, but NIN is my 2nd favorite band. Trent's work is fascinating, creative. You can listen over and over again and still discover new things.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I respect Trent as a musician but have a hard time diving deep into his works. I like several songs, I just can't seem to get into the albums completely. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
  • Trent Reznor is probably one of the most under-appreciated artists and performers in music. I listen to lots of music, and there is nothing that I've found that sounds close to NIN. They get compared to Manson, Skinny Puppy, etc. but I can't hear any real similarities. I really think Reznor developed a very unique sound that is his own, which is very rare. The only other artist I can think of off the top of my head who would be comparable in uniqueness is Mike Patton. Bands like U2, Pearl Jam, etc. have distinctive qualities, but they aren't truly unique like NIN.

And on top of this, Reznor is an incredible performer. If you think Pearl Jam performs well (which I do), go see NIN. Even if you don't know NIN all that well, I'd still say go see them. You'll be blown away.
  • I've been a NIN fan 2 years less than I have for PJ (92). I love them both.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Big fan.. didn't like With Teeth that much but I loved The Fragile and I love all the early stuff...

Seen them twice.. the best being at Sasquatch festival this year!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i was a nin fan throughout highschool and looking back now i think Reznor did some amazing music.. however, i can't really see myself getting into Pretty Hate Machine or Broken nowadays. i can listen to The Fragile and some songs off Spiral but overall i feel like i've outgrown nin. i'm listening to music i find much more intresting these days, but NIN will always be a part of me.
  • i heard they were awesome in concert. my roommates went to see them last year and said that those fans were hardcore, mosh pits and the likes,...

i wouldn't mind seeing them,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
    If you've never seen them in concert, you must. Turned me from a very casual fan to hardcore. I'm not going to say better than Pearl Jam, because the type of concert is very different, but the NIN performance is simply amazing and excellent. (If you want to hear anything the next day besides tinnitus though, you better put on some kind of hearing protection). His live band is good - some of the songs take on a different flavor, when you hear them live vs. the albums.
    Yup so much energy.. cannot compare it to PJ live.. the visuals were very cool also.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    Yup so much energy.. cannot compare it to PJ live.. the visuals were very cool also.

Did you get to see them when they had the LED grill? That was pretty amazing. I hope they have that on the next tour. (I'm holding out some hope for NIN in North America in 2007, as they are going to Europe Feb-April and he said something about that wasn't 'all' - I don't remember the exact wording)
  • JaneNY wrote:
    If you've never seen them in concert, you must. Turned me from a very casual fan to hardcore. I'm not going to say better than Pearl Jam, because the type of concert is very different, but the NIN performance is simply amazing and excellent. (If you want to hear anything the next day besides tinnitus though, you better put on some kind of hearing protection). His live band is good - some of the songs take on a different flavor, when you hear them live vs. the albums.

Right on. Almost everything from Pretty Hate Machine sounds 100 times better live.
    JaneNY wrote:
    Did you get to see them when they had the LED grill? That was pretty amazing. I hope they have that on the next tour. (I'm holding out some hope for NIN in North America in 2007, as they are going to Europe Feb-April and he said something about that wasn't 'all' - I don't remember the exact wording)

yup it was incredible.. I actually got to see them on their Fall 05 tour which had its on set of visuals and then again at Sasquatch in spring 06 which I believe was the first show of their next leg with all new visuals!! Pretty damn mind blowing to say the least.. the Sasquatch pit was amazing everyone was so into it!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    ...and with that being said... I am now a Love Boat Captain..lol
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    yup it was incredible.. I actually got to see them on their Fall 05 tour which had its on set of visuals and then again at Sasquatch in spring 06 which I believe was the first show of their next leg with all new visuals!! Pretty damn mind blowing to say the least.. the Sasquatch pit was amazing everyone was so into it!

Yeah I saw a show in June, and the visuals were great.

Opened with Somewhat Damaged with the band performing behind the cage. Good stuff.
  • yea i also saw them in June in Pittsburgh, it was the best night of my life
    I saw them in Saratoga and Toronto. Toronto was the night after Pearl Jam in Pittsburgh, so that was an awesome weekend. We got Reptile in Saratoga, and I like the live intro to Only. I am looking forward to the new DVD.
  • i had lots of respect for reznor for the longest time. always had the thought that computers arent rock n roll though. then my friend was like nin is playing in philly wanna go. so i asked when it was and how much. i said im not taking off work to see them though. it was a saturday so i went.
    i only knew one song that night, closer. which i didnt like, still dont. but i heard everything from my cousin up to the fragile. just didnt remember the songs anymore. well after the show i was like that was awesome.
    the next week i bought with teeth cause that was the album he was supporting so i thought it was the right choice. i played that cd nonstop for a good month, went to bed with it on, had it in my car. only time i didnt listen to it was at work, cause i couldnt. shortly afterwards i bought all the albums. working on all the other halos now.
    years of hearing them from my cousin did nothing for me. one concert set me right. i dont think they are as good as pj but i wont pass up any shows thats for sure. i wish they would mix up sets more but i guess thats why i dont think they are the greatest live. a once per tour is a must though. i dont see my self seeing 4 shows a tour like some other band.

one more thing with teeth sucks in stereo 5.1 is a must. that is musical bliss.
  • I've always felt their releases have been pretty solid and consistent up to With Teeth. That one really turned me off of NIN, I enjoyed it the first few times around but as time went on I really started to dislike it.
    A new album is on the way! TR posted that they begin mixing it in January. If it comes out in 2007 it will be a record for least time between albums.
  • JaneNY wrote:
    A new album is on the way! TR posted that they begin mixing it in January. If it comes out in 2007 it will be a record for least time between albums.

EXCELLENT!!! Maybe they'll go on another tour soon!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    JaneNY wrote:

That has something to do with the fact that he has been concentrating on producing new material, instead of doing a "remix album". What are people's opinions of these? I only have Further Down The Spiral, and I hate it.

I do love NIN. I have seen them twice, and will be seeing them twice more when the hit the UK next year. They put on a fantastic live show, and they are well worth seeing.

I love all the albums, but my favourites are The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. I love Pretty Hate Machine, but it REALLY sounds like it was released in 1989, it hasn't aged well. It's an album that really comes to life live though. With Teeth was also good, but after such a long wait from The Fragile, it was hard not to be dissapointed.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    I'm a pretty new fan, so the only remix I have is the Head Like a Hole one with a bunch of different mixes. I like the original the best. The Fragile is probably my favorite main album, followed by The Downward Spiral, then WT, then PHM. But then there's Broken and I love Gave Up from it. The PHM material does still sound great live - have you heard the piano version of Something I can never have from those radio performances last summer?
  • yea i also saw them in June in Pittsburgh, it was the best night of my life

yea i agree, i was at that show too, it was basically amazing. fans are so hardcore and the lights...well you gotta see them for yourself
  • yea i agree, i was at that show too, it was basically amazing. fans are so hardcore and the lights...well you gotta see them for yourself

yea you were there, infact we went to that concert in the same car...good times man
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Pretty Hate Machine............the only time....still one of my favs.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Ringfinger is a personal favourite.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    it's very interesting to see how the music changes as Trent's life progresses. I love it.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    love everything Trent does
    personally fave of mine is the Still EP..just a beautiful disc.
    fave studio album definitely is The Fragile
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA