coldplay vs radiohead

2»

Comments

• stu gee wrote:
    Radiohead by a country mile
    ^^^

Coldplay isn't bad, but CMON.

Not even close - Radiohead.

Coldplay is boring. They aren't bad, but they're fucking boring as hell. Everything they do kind of sounds the same.

Radiohead is without a doubt one of the most innovative, creative bands in history. And if you don't like the post- Ok Computer material you should really shut the hell up about it. It's fucking brilliant.

Ask people who like it, not people who can't click with it. You can show the best rock records you can find (let's call it Zuma by Neil Young for arguments sake) and you'll find people who say "the songs are too long, i hate his voice, why is that guitar solo so weird sounding? I don't like it," etc. Point being that just because a record like "Kid A" is too weird for you doesn't mean it isn't a redicuously good record.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    High and Dry is a great song, but I just can't get into the bends.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    the bends mops the floor with almost any album ever created

haha gotta say i agree with you here...even if your post-ok computer opinion of radiohead is sadly flawed. kid a is a masterpiece, and although if someone asks me my favorite radiohead album id go for ok computer over the bends or kid a 9 times out of 10, kid a is a complete experience of the senses. after countless listens, theres nothing a spin of how to disappear completely can't seem to give an entirely different perspective. i could go on about the beauty within each track on the album, but instead i'll sum it up only as yorke could himself.

When asked in 2001 by MTV, "How do you guys feel about the fact that bands like Muse, Travis and Coldplay are making a career sounding exactly like your records did in 1997?", Yorke criticized Muse's singer/songwriter Matt Bellamy for what he felt was an attempt to directly imitate him. Of the others he has replied simply: "Good luck with Kid A."

of course amnesiac has some great tracks as well and hail to the thief has grown on me with each listen since the first...but i guess thats what all their cds do with me.

so, in conclusion, the post about artistic vs. commerical goals by dotheevolukin is dead on. not that i dont admittedly enjoy coldplay on occasion.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Kid A is just Radiohead playing music you'd more often find on 'The White Label' (UK dance/electronic underground label). Guitar/rock rans think they are doing some 'new' when they aren't at all. If you like Kid A go pick up some Future Sound of London and listen to it done properly, or some Aphex Twin if you want a more commercial version.

I does annoy me when primary rock fans hail 'Kid A' a masterpiece when all radiohead did was 'pay hommage' (AKA ripping off) to a sound most Rock fans haven't heard before :P

On saying that Radiohead is miles better than Coldplay.
  • Soupy wrote:
    Kid A is just Radiohead playing music you'd more often find on 'The White Label' (UK dance/electronic underground label). Guitar/rock rans think they are doing some 'new' when they aren't at all. If you like Kid A go pick up some Future Sound of London and listen to it done properly, or some Aphex Twin if you want a more commercial version.

I does annoy me when primary rock fans hail 'Kid A' a masterpiece when all radiohead did was 'pay hommage' (AKA ripping off) to a sound most Rock fans haven't heard before :P

On saying that Radiohead is miles better than Coldplay.
    Radiohead did something completely new FOR RADIOHEAD with Kid A.

Sweet fucking jesus you radiohead fans are pretentious :p

"Make our day"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    radiohead.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • nuffingman wrote:
    Radiohead

Pablo Honey - good
    The Bends - one of the best
    OK computer - excellent
    Kid A - oh please don't pretend you like this shit!
    The next one - so crap I can't remember it's name but it's gathering dust upstairs somewhere.
    The one after that - see the above.

Coldplay

Parachutes, Rush of Blood - equal to anything Radiohead have done
    X&Y - Better than anything Radiohead have done

How is X&Y better than anything radiohead has done? Coldplay have a formula...just listen to clocks and then speed of sound....notice how the bass is following the same pattern, while a piano takes the lead? I also enjoy how radiohead aspire to be radiohead on each cd, and coldplay are trying to be a bad overblown U2. Radiohead's B-sides by themselves destroy coldplay....I mean, how do you leave Talk Show Host off a record? you can when your radiohead.
  • SlowFade wrote:
    How is X&Y better than anything radiohead has done? Coldplay have a formula...just listen to clocks and then speed of sound....notice how the bass is following the same pattern, while a piano takes the lead? I also enjoy how radiohead aspire to be radiohead on each cd, and coldplay are trying to be a bad overblown U2. Radiohead's B-sides by themselves destroy coldplay....I mean, how do you leave Talk Show Host off a record? you can when your radiohead.
    ^_^

"Make our day"
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    nuffingman wrote:
    Radiohead

Pablo Honey - good
    The Bends - one of the best
    OK computer - excellent
    Kid A - oh please don't pretend you like this shit!
    The next one - so crap I can't remember it's name but it's gathering dust upstairs somewhere.
    The one after that - see the above.

Coldplay

Parachutes, Rush of Blood - equal to anything Radiohead have done
    X&Y - Better than anything Radiohead have done

wrong
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    deadnote wrote:
    who is your favorite between the two
    i used to think that radiohead was just way more in depth
    but that was before i got parachutes

*scratches head at the thought of anything coldplay related being 'depthful'*
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Parachutes 7/10
    Rush of Blood to the Head 4/10
    X&Y 2/10 (at this point its becoming ridiculously bland, although admittedly I did lose interest by the second one)

Pablo Honey 9/10
    The Bends 10/10
    OK Computer 10/10
    Kid A 7/10
    Amnesiac 9/10
    Hail to the Thief 8/10
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    I've always likened Coldplays music much more to U2 of the 95 to present era.

On some tracks like Clocks in particular they sound very much a like.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • both bands are horribly overrated.
  • this is like cmparing pearl jam to Creed
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Radiohead's Kid A and later albums are unsettling sounding and lyrics (eg: "hope that you choke", "the panic, the vomit"), but in an artistically good way.

Coldplay is more of the comfort-food of music. Easy to listen to, very pretty.

...and Muse... powerful sound and great vocal ability but mindlessly silly lyrics that are "too cool for school".
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • any music fan can tell that coldplay is a blatant rip-off of radiohead......
    radiohead=fucking rocks!!!!!
    coldplay=music listened too by 15 year old girls.........
    "oh please........
    let it ran today
    this city is so filthy
    like my mind in ways....."
  • Coldplay it's very good, but radiohead it's fucking awesome!!
    I don't want to take what you can give
    I would rather starve than eat your bread
    I would rather run but I can't walk
    Guess I'll lie alone just like before

23-05-00/04-09-06/05-09-06