***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• JTRJTR Posts: 347
    After Lolla. August. How about Cat's Cradle again? Like 1991.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Oh crap, I forgot to check HiFi Buys!! I'll get right on that one. It's in a funkified part of town.....
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    JTR wrote:
    I do not have venues, only cities and dates. I can (and have) only guessed Walnut Creek from 'being there in 00 and '03. I grew up in Durham and can't think of another suitable venue??
    BCR Center I think it is called. Where the (NHL) Hurricanes play.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    JTR wrote:

i'm very curious as to where you are getting this information.
    or do we not ask that??

just wondering.

kentucky dates rumored??
    Nice shirt.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    They have to play "No Way"
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    weenie wrote:
    I just got home from work and wasn't able to check the board since lunch. Wow, what happy news! Ty I didn't notice any comments about the cities from you.... You and Daystar will at least make Atlanta won't you?
    Atlanta=no problem....I have been taking a nap :) that's why you haven't heard from me. I would not mind visiting a city like Nashville either.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    stoneg wrote:

thanks Mandi for letting me know! This is great news man, if thats the case I am gonna try and do the entire tour!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    stoneg wrote:
    Atlanta 2007 will sound like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5C0Qk2WRQ
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    JTR wrote:

Wow! Wouldn't that be something. A bit too small for them these days although I dream of a "secret show" there. The Smashing Pumpkins did it a few years ago.
    Yeah, The Creek has always been the stop, especially in the summer. Was just curious with your mention of "alternative" places. The RBC Center in Raleigh is plenty big enough. Not sure what category that place would fall under. That is where NC State and the Hurricanes (hockey) play their games. Everything else in Raleigh is considerably smaller. Probably too small for PJ, especially if they don't play Charlotte (a bit of a surprise). The Ritz/Disco Rodeo is a great smaller place. Saw The Black Crowes there a couple of times, but once again, I think that is probably too small for PJ. Would be a great place for a "fan club only" show though.
    Brian
    tybird wrote:
    Atlanta=no problem....I have been taking a nap :) that's why you haven't heard from me. I would not mind visiting a city like Nashville either.

Yeah, I was thinking Nashville too and wherever they play in NC. That would be a short day trip between venues. Same with Virginia. I am SO HOPING they play VA Bch Amphitheater but I'm afraid they'll play the convention center instead.... :(

I'm going to be mentally working on a potential design for T's. I was thinking about using a Woodpecker you said you were trying to spot one weekend - close to extinct I believe? Was it Pileated? The bird will be only one aspect of the design, what bird do you think best represents this thread?
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    i'm very curious as to where you are getting this information.
    or do we not ask that??

just wondering.

kentucky dates rumored??

Need to go back about 50 pages or so. It is legit in our opinion.

JTR rules!
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    JTR wrote:

Based on your description of the route...the southern shows would be after lolla and the NE shows would before...so they would be in late July? You don't have to answer that...just thought I would throw it out there.

Congrats to all of you in the South :)
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    weenie wrote:
    Yeah, I was thinking Nashville too and wherever they play in NC. That would be a short day trip between venues. Same with Virginia. I am SO HOPING they play VA Bch Amphitheater but I'm afraid they'll play the convention center instead.... :(

I'm going to be mentally working on a potential design for T's. I was thinking about using a Woodpecker you said you were trying to spot one weekend - close to extinct I believe? Was it Pileated? The bird will be only one aspect of the design, what bird do you think best represents this thread?

ugh! I have been working on my father's laptop on the porch and managed to lock myself out of my account.

I think woodpecker would be fine - we have been hacking away at these keys for near 10,000 posts, we must sound like them ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
    SPALMA wrote:
    ugh! I have been working on my father's laptop on the porch and managed to lock myself out of my account.

I think woodpecker would be fine - we have been hacking away at these keys for near 10,000 posts, we must sound like them ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta

Great analogy!!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    Okay, trees...... we need a kind of tree.

And whatever else we need to consider. I'm open to suggestions...
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    stoneg wrote:
    Ohh Yes.I have to meet you.You are one of my favorite people on this board.

Awww, (blush), back at ya man... you are one of our foundation stone(g)s here. I look forward to what you post. We will be there...:) :)

dangerboy wrote:
    brother, i've been telling them that since this thread got started.

Yes, You Have.

I would rather PJ play Disco Rodeo, if they played Cat's Cradle I think someone would probobly die, that place only holds about 600, I saw Queens of the Stone Age at Disco and it was a kick ass venue! Good day everyone!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    JTR wrote:
    I hope to catch them all. Planning on it.

We should have a pre-show party at each stop for this thread.

Cool...Glad you'll come...you'll be set with drinks for week with our Southern Hospitality...and Northern (from us transplants) hospitality. Have a favorite drink? Perhaps a tailgate at one of the amphi shows.

Pearl Jam never said "tickets don't sell in the South". Tours don't sell in the South just like albums don't sell anymore with the advent of the Commodore 64. Other than Kenny Chesney, who else is selling? Tim and Faith aren't even playing in Tennessee - Canada is where they're headed. For some reason live music isn't drawing people out in the South at today's ticket prices (even PJ's prices). Tour sponsorship is hell to find.
    BTW Grjammer, I really loved that skating rink in Grand Rapids. Ed said "this is the most uninteresting structure we've ever played in". I know you remember. The DeltaPlex I think?? Was a great show however.
    JTR wrote:
    Pearl Jam never said "tickets don't sell in the South". Tours don't sell in the South just like albums don't sell anymore with the advent of the Commodore 64. Other than Kenny Chesney, who else is selling? Tim and Faith aren't even playing in Tennessee - Canada is where they're headed. For some reason live music isn't drawing people out in the South at today's ticket prices (even PJ's prices). Tour sponsorship is hell to find.

I do know that economically, things are tuff for a lot of folks right now. The reasons are many. Some people just have to be satisfied to blow their cash on a huge TV and sit home and watch movies and other entertainment. The prices of tickets are out of sight for artists who, in my mind, are way overrated.

For example, we have a small amphitheater here in Atlanta called Chastain. Probably holds 5,000 at most. The big sell is tables and you can bring any food/booze you like. They came out with their summer schedule a couple of days ago. All the tickets are $95 to $150 per person. Steve Nicks is $110. $110!! Just incredible. Most of the other acts playing have careers that are just fond memories. Pro sports went the same route a few years back. Just my opinion...

Oh yeah, I think it was Ed who said it first (or maybe it was Howard Zinn) "there ain't gonna be any middle anymore"
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    I was there...and I'm sorry to say I've been to more than a few shows at the deltaplex...it is a terrible venue. I'll take pearl jam anywhere I can get them though. I wonder if they enjoyed the venue so much they might be returning at some point? The Van Andel Arena is much nicer.
    I feel like I won an award or something.Like we win the Superbowl.I feel like giving a speech.I would like to thank everyone who has never lost the hope or faith that we would get our southern shows.I would like to give HUGH thanks to the following members first and fore most Gardenlover for starting this thread.Without you none of this would have happened.Tybird for beginning there since the beginning and keeping things rolling(a true leader).Dollpartz for begin the only one who showed up at my Pearl Jam fan meetup in Tampa in October(No Doubt! lol!)and for beginning so cool.Leathermandi another cool fan I would have never met if not for this thread.And Spalma someone who I have not met yet but I know is super cool and has alot of wisdom and is a super cool Mom to boot.And a Big Thank You to JTR who is the Man of the Hour in my books.Peace to all and see you at the shows!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    OK, time for more beer, some basketball and some hockey.
    Gonna post some lyrics from a band that brings out the haterade around here. Oh well, the song seems appropriate for today.

The heart is a bloom
    Shoots up through the stony ground
    There's no room
    No space to rent in this town

You're out of luck
    And the reason that you had to care
    The traffic is stuck
    And you're not moving anywhere

You thought you'd found a friend
    To take you out of this place
    Someone you could lend a hand
    In return for grace

It's a beautiful day
    Sky falls, you feel like
    It's a beautiful day
    Don't let it get away

You're on the road
    But you've got no destination
    You're in the mud
    In the maze of her imagination

You love this town
    Even if that doesn't ring true
    You've been all over
    And it's been all over you

It's a beautiful day
    Don't let it get away
    It's a beautiful day

Touch me
    Take me to that other place
    Teach me
    I know I'm not a hopeless case

See the world in green and blue
    See China right in front of you
    See the canyons broken by cloud
    See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out
    See the Bedouin fires at night
    See the oil fields at first light
    And see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
    After the flood all the colors came out

It was a beautiful day
    Don't let it get away
    Beautiful day

Touch me
    Take me to that other place
    Reach me
    I know I'm not a hopeless case

What you don't have you don't need it now
    What you don't know you can feel it somehow
    What you don't have you don't need it now
    Don't need it now
    Was a beautiful day
    Brian
  • It's been over 10 years since Pearl Jam played our beautiful city of Charleston (my first show). It's about time they paid us a visit. After all, I visited their amazing city last year when I went to the Gorge, it's time to repay the favor. They could play at the Performing Arts Center, which wasn't built when they were here, but I'm saying if they really want to make it up to us, they could play a secret show at the Charleston Pour House. It's a great jam band venue with a killer cuban restaurant attached to it.
    Ba Ba Booey
    It's been over 10 years since Pearl Jam played our beautiful city of Charleston (my first show). It's about time they paid us a visit. After all, I visited their amazing city last year when I went to the Gorge, it's time to repay the favor. They could play at the Performing Arts Center, which wasn't built when they were here, but I'm saying if they really want to make it up to us, they could play a secret show at the Charleston Pour House. It's a great jam band venue with a killer cuban restaurant attached to it.

you ever been to the plex in north charleson? Not saying PJ could ever play there, its too small, but its the coolest fuckin venue, used to be a movie theater and they converted it into a concert hall, so as you are walking to the bar it feels like you are going to a movie, its like seeing a concert in a huge movie theater (minus the popcorn smell)
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    WOW...there's been a lot of stuff going on here! What did I miss? :p

wait...
    :eek: WHAT??? :eek:

:eek: 2 Florida dates? :eek:

Just the fact Florida is a possibility makes me HAPPY!!!!! :D
    Juli will see her first PJ show at last!!! :D:D:D

YASSSS!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
    Weenie, Chastain Park is really great. I saw Neil Young do Greendale there in the pouring rain and it was a real highlight.

But PJ would overrun that neighborhood.
  • pathorsespathorses Posts: 319
    Man, there is SO much going on here......took forever to catch up!

Texas, I feel your pain and I really think you'll get a show. This is a "draft" so who knows what the final plan will be? I mean, you're almost a "whole nother country", right? That can't be ignored....

If the draft is correct, I'll mos def be in Raleigh, Atlanta and Nashville, maybe Florida, too. I think a meet-up in every spot is a must!! Damn I can't hardly wait.........

Pat

JTR, thanks for spreading what you know! I realize Chesney sells out here every year but PJ sells out Charlotte every time, too, so I'm glad you spoke out about that!
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10