slash rocks

deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
edited July 2007 in Other Music
guns really are underated when it comes to what happened in the early nineties , obviously magazines and trends give credit to the fathers of movement but truthfully theres always been great bands hiding somewhere
set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    gnr 90s > gnr 80s

the use your illusion albums are lightyears better than appetite
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    deadnote wrote:
    guns really are underated when it comes to what happened in the early nineties , obviously magazines and trends give credit to the fathers of movement but truthfully theres always been great bands hiding somewhere
    I wouldn't say that gnr are underrated. I think they definitely get the respect they deserve.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I *love* the early 90's GN' R era. Terminator 2 soundtrack, Welcome To The Jungle in San Andreas, that awesome tour with Faith No More and Soundgarden, etc. Good times.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    deadnote wrote:

Personally I thought they got the credit they deserve, Spaghetti Incident took a bit of a slamming, but I liked it other than that, I always saw them heaped and hyped with praise.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    gnr 90s > gnr 80s

Nurse, the screens........
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    gnr 90s > gnr 80s

I respectivley disagree.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Chinese Democracy Starts Now!!
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Hebejebe wrote:
    I wouldn't say that gnr are underrated. I think they definitely get the respect they deserve.

I agree. I don't know how anyone who lived through the G n R years could say they ever came close to being Underrated.....they were everywhere, and on everything at the time...well deserved albeit.
    "It's all happening"
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I dunno why but usually I hate all of the 'in band drama' stuff, i.e. the heroin addictions and the ego maniac singer, etc. Just like one big massive rock cliche.

But GNR is where it's at. Just a great hard rock band. Twat or not, Axl has an amazing voice.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Appetite is the best rock album of the entire 1980's. Nothing else compares to the sheer visceral power and serious groove of that record. Slash was probably the only mainstream lead player of the late 80's who channelled the sould of the greats of the 60's and 70's.

Izzy was the true heart and soul of the band, though. The band was done when he left, they just didn't realize it for a few years. I don't have any sources to back it up, but I strongly believe he was the driving force behind the songwriting, at least as far as the music goes.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140

If you could ditch some songs and make one album out of the Use Your Illusions.....you'd have a case. Otherwise, No.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Appetite is the best rock album of the entire 1980's. Nothing else compares to the sheer visceral power and serious groove of that record. Slash was probably the only mainstream lead player of the late 80's who channelled the sould of the greats of the 60's and 70's.

Izzy was the true heart and soul of the band, though. The band was done when he left, they just didn't realize it for a few years. I don't have any sources to back it up, but I strongly believe he was the driving force behind the songwriting, at least as far as the music goes.
    Izzy was the musical conduit between Slash and Axl. Slash songs tend to be a bit generic without Izzy, and Izzy had the history with Axl to keep him a little more grounded. Izzy was my fave Gunner by far.

Every Izzy song is a little quirky but ends itself to being powerful at the same time. Izzy always struck me as the true punk in the band, the one who really didn't give a fuck but saw no reason to shout it out.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I would say they could only possibly be discribed as underrated if you said that they underrated the rest of their albums besides Appetite for Destruction.

That album is massively overrated compared to the rest of their material.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Slash is great

GNR were never under-rated, that' for sure

Appetite may be the greatest rock album ever recorded and I think that certain aspect of the Illusions were way ahead of their time

Great band
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559

'fraid i disagree too, the Illusion albums are too theatrical for my liking, AfD is raw and just straight up rock.