Army of Anyone: STP and Filter Combine

thesilentrumorthesilentrumor Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Army of Anyone is a four-piece made up of former Filter singer, Richard Patrick, former STP bassists and guitarists, the DeLeo Brothers, and David Lee Roth drummer, Ray Luzier. Their self-titled debut album was released last year and features the hit song, "Goodbye." Check them out at http://www.armyofanyone.com.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Army of Anyone is a four-piece made up of former Filter singer, Richard Patrick, former STP bassists and guitarists, the DeLeo Brothers, and David Lee Roth drummer, Ray Luzier. Their self-titled debut album was released last year and features the hit song, "Goodbye." Check them out at http://www.armyofanyone.com.

This band totally Rocks!!!!!
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    They're meh.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I find Richard Patrick's vocals a little bland, but the music more than makes up for it. The DeLeos rock.
  • Richards voice is starting to get on form IMHO. The last Filter tour sucked cos he couldn't sing due to the drink & drugs. I think his voice suits this kind of music too, and I find myself enjoying the CD more & more with each listen.

Reminds me of Purple / Tiny Music... era STP, with only a dash of Filter. It'll be weird seeing them do Filter tracks live. Odd, but I hope it'll rock... that's if they get their arses over to the UK.

Good to have the guys back.
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I find Richard Patrick's vocals a little bland, but the music more than makes up for it. The DeLeos rock.

I totally agree.

I'm seeing them tonight in NYC, very excited.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    i expect a full report!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    yosi wrote:
    I totally agree.

I'm seeing them tonight in NYC, very excited.

Me too! See you there!
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Good first album.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i never heard of this project.. but i am very intrigued!

i just hope Richard doesn't do lame songs like his later singles for Filter. I like his rocking voice more than his ballad voice
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    where have you been?
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    brain of c wrote:
    where have you been?

i do not listen to the radio since it is filled with 90% crap=p

only exposure to other bands i get is from here or close friends~

the last time i listened to the radio was in october when i had a rental car due to a car accident and could not plug my ipod in=(

though i dunno if you can count the night that station played Reign O'er Me...
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    After reading this thread i google'd it and got on their site (had never heard of the new band).
    Gotta say the song that blares out upon entering the site is pretty darn good.
  • hehehe i KNEW there would be an army of one thread on the pj board. :)

went to their show monday. was only $20 so what the hell. thou it was frezzing outside. we had no business being out.

it was fun. felt like a teen again when they played STP. i hadn't seen them since 94! and oh what an incredible voice the filter guy had. he's no Scott but he did ok. man can hold a not without sounding like a 80's metalhead. the black headed guitarist.....kills! at some point the lead singer goes out in the crowd to sing....the staff wasn't watching and this guy hops on stage and is all over the other guitarist. wild!

forgive my ignorance on band members names.

we were on the second floor. there was hardly anybody up there, so i guess due to that, some band members were walking around. this cute blonde guy spoke to my boyfriend for a few minutes. after he left, it hit him...'i think that might've been the drummer!'

lmao! durrrr. sorry Ray!

(that's his name right, Ray?)

edit: yup! i see. ....Ray.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    The show in NYC last night was awesome! They blew the roof off that fuckin' place.
    Also got to meet the band which kicked ass!

If they are coming to your city, do youself a favor and see them!
  • Is this new cd worth picking up? I was a huge fan of STP back in the day. I enjoyed a few Filter songs but never was a big fan.
  • Is this new cd worth picking up? I was a huge fan of STP back in the day. I enjoyed a few Filter songs but never was a big fan.

i was really excited leading up to its release, i bought it the day it came out, and i didn't like it at all.

there were a few good riffs but nothing that i would consider to be STP-caliber, and a lot of the songs seemed like they could have benefited from a second guitar. i also didn't think that richard patrick's vocals were a particularly good fit. the end result, in my opinion, was that many of the tracks came out sounding like filler material.

of course, everyone else in this thread seems to like army of anyone a lot, so maybe you shouldn't take my opinion on this one. it's possible that the album will grow on me over time... but so far it hasn't.

i thought ray luzier's drumming was great, but that's about all i liked.
  • Ooh ooh..

You can see the pictures I took at the show Thursday night..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/handsbound/DSCF0503.jpg
    Ray Luzier and me :)

and the concert pictures (there are WAY too many to post them all here are in my photobucket...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v632/handsbound/

ENJOY!

And go see them!!! They rock!!
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I will say this, Army of Anyone is probably the best "supergroup" to come out of the recent crop (Audioslave, Velvet Revolver)

Unless of course one considers QOTSA a "supergroup" (Lanegan, Alain and Natasha, TVL, Joey Castillo/Dave Grohl). If that's the case, there's nothing going on that stands up.

Absolutely. If you enjoy strong melodic songs then definitely give it a shot. You can definitely see elements from both bands pouring in, yet they make their own unique sound at the same time which can be hard for a 'supergroup' to do on a debut album. The instrumentals are very strong on this album esp. the drumming. Definitely check it out. :)
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."