Who wrote the music for the songs on Vs. and Vitalogy?

RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
edited December 2007 in The Porch
I have always been disapointed that the band went through a phase for two albums where they credited the whole band for writing each song. I have to imigiane they regret it somewhat because it probably means every live album sold gives royalty money to Dave A. because they always play songs off those albums. Anyways, using your own knowledge or guesses, who do you think/know wrote the songs? Here is my thoughts....

Vs.
Go - Dave A. (I think I have read that)
Animal - Stone
Daughter - Stone
Glorified G - Mike (just a guess)
Dissident - Stone ?
WMA - Jeff ?
Blood - ?
Rearviewmirror - Ed
Rats - Jeff or Stone ?
Small Town - Ed or Stone ?
Leash - Jeff or Stone ?
Indifference - Jeff, Stone or Ed ?

Vitalogy.
Last Exit - Stone ?
Spin The Black Circle - Stone ? (i think i read he wrote it slow and Ed had him speed it up)
Not For You - Ed
Tremor Christ - Stone or Ed or maybe Mike?
Nothingman - Jeff (confirmed in booklet)
Whipping - Ed
Corduroy - Ed
Satan's Bed - Stone (confirmed in booklet)
Better Man - Ed (confirmed in booklet)
Immortality - Ed

Others.
Alone - Stone (Just a guess, funny how Dave A. gets a credit for this song while the version on Lost Dogs has Dave K. on drums)
Wash - Stone
Dirty Frank - Stone, Mike or Jeff

Thats what I think, anyone have any thoughts?
words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RiotAct10 wrote:
    Vs.
    Go - Dave A. (I think I have read that)
    Animal - Stone
    Daughter - Stone
    Glorified G - Mike (just a guess)
    Dissident - Stone ?
    WMA - Jeff ?
    Blood - ?
    Rearviewmirror - Ed
    Rats - Jeff or Stone ?
    Small Town - Ed or Stone ?
    Leash - Jeff or Stone ?
    Indifference - Jeff, Stone or Ed ?

Vitalogy.
    Last Exit - Stone ?
    Spin The Black Circle - Stone ? (i think i read he wrote it slow and Ed had him speed it up)
    Not For You - Ed
    Tremor Christ - Stone or Ed or maybe Mike?
    Nothingman - Jeff (confirmed in booklet)
    Whipping - Ed
    Corduroy - Ed
    Satan's Bed - Stone (confirmed in booklet)
    Better Man - Ed (confirmed in booklet)
    Immortality - Ed

Others.
    Alone - Stone (Just a guess, funny how Dave A. gets a credit for this song while the version on Lost Dogs has Dave K. on drums)
    Wash - Stone
    Dirty Frank - Stone, Mike or Jeff

good thread. I think you're right on most counts. Here's some stuff I'd like to add and/or disagree with.

I think 'Small Town' is solely the work of Ed.

'Tremor Christ' sounds like something that could have been conceived in an improvised jam. Same with 'Blood.'

I think Mike may have composed a lot of 'Leash.'

and Dave had the main riff for 'Go' but I doubt he did any arranging other than that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Agreed. This is a great thread and I think you've done an awesome job so far. :D I've often wondered the same.
    Let's try to get to the bottom of this shall we? :)

My comments...

* I've definitely heard the same about the main Go riff being Dave A. (Psst. I love you Dave!;) ) The boys have actually given him credit for the song (before rippin into it) at a few of the earlier shows I believe?

* I remember reading that Glorified G was written by Mike & Stone.

* Dissident is for sure Stone. Ed confirmed that last year night 2 of the Holy SF Trio. ;)

* Rats. I'm pretty sure this one is all Stone.

* Agree with Small Town being solo Ed. I've always thought the same.

* Indifference...for some reason I think this one is heavily Stone. Maybe it's a Dream Team combo? Ed & Stone? Not sure but I really feel like I've heard , at a show before, that is a Stone song?? Hmm...

Well that's all I got.
    Here's to solving the puzzle. :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    * Indifference...for some reason I think this one is heavily Stone. Maybe it's a Dream Team combo? Ed & Stone? Not sure but I really feel like I've heard , at a show before, that is a Stone song?? Hmm...

Well that's all I got.
    Here's to solving the puzzle. :)

I'm pretty sure Indiff was all Stoney. I remember the 1st time Ben Harper played it, he thanked his friend Stone before he started to play it.
    NERDS!
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Aww! "His friend Stone". That is just too cute. :)

Thanks for the info bud! I swear I've heard that somewhere before. Glad it's not just me. ;)

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • very cool thread. you seem right on most of the songs.

the only thing i have to say is that 'Rats' and 'WMA' have Jeff written all over them.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • brucebruce Posts: 384
    This is fun, but kinda silly.

If they might say Stone wrote Dissident but that song is not EVEN the same with out mike. Same as Nothing As It Seems. Jeff "wrote" that.. but the song features Mike. Small town.. same thing Ed wrote it but its kinda Stones baby
    Writing checks that others pay.....

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    always thought Indifference was Jeff.
  • NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    I read somewhere that Ed wrote Small Town almost as a joke, and it was Stone who made him turn it into a real song. Don't know about the rest.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • * Indifference...for some reason I think this one is heavily Stone. Maybe it's a Dream Team combo? Ed & Stone? Not sure but I really feel like I've heard , at a show before, that is a Stone song?? Hmm...

Well that's all I got.
    Here's to solving the puzzle. :)[/quote]

I think Indifference is Ed.....Before they played this in London this year, Ed mentioned he had written alot of shit lyrics in his day, but this was definetly not one of them.....
  • I always thought that WMA was an improv in the studio and Eddie put some lyrics after that.

And it's funny how Stone had a major role for the music back then. I hope that the next album will be his! All Stone music, fuck it!
    "You're not what you own"
    Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

Wasn't there: Mtl 1998/08/20, Mtl 2000/10/04, T.O. 2003/06/28, Mtl 2003/06/29, Boston 2004/09/28, Mtl 2005/09/15, Ott 2005/09/16, T.O. 2005/09/19, T.O. 2006/05/10
  • Did Dave A have something to do with writing any music for Glorified G or was it just that some of the lyrics were about him?
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • The opening two lines of Glorified G are verbatim what Dave said when he walked into the studio one day during the vs. sessions. (with Eddie yelling "you did what?!" after the first line).Or so I've read...

You're spot on with Stone writing Animal and Alone. They're both on the original 1990 "Stone Gossard Demos". Weird A and Richard E, if I remember right.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2