Beirut - Gulag Orkestar

Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Anybody have or heard this album? A friend of mine recommended it to me earlier this week and ive not stopped playing it yet! To quote a review i read it says "sounds like ten drunken gypsies playing balkan music", now if that doesn't get you interested enough to check em out then you're a fool to ya self, thats right i said you're a FOOL!!!! :D;)

Its awesome....
Black, the greatest without a doubt........
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    If you like that album you must check out "The Flying Clup Cup" and the "Lon Gisland EP"......they are AMAZING and I personally prefer both to their debut (although it is great too)

check out these videos from the Take Away Shows site......they are what really got me into the band:

http://www.blogotheque.net/article.php3?id_article=3455
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    they are interesting enough, not something I can listen to often.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    If you like that album you must check out "The Flying Clup Cup" and the "Lon Gisland EP"......they are AMAZING and I personally prefer both to their debut (although it is great too)

check out these videos from the Take Away Shows site......they are what really got me into the band:

Oh right, i heard the debut was better than the second and the EP :confused: Ive not got round to listening to them yet so just put club cup on, and it seems equally as solid as gulag :D time will tell if it ceomes more addictive!

have you listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, A Hawk And A Hack Saw, Iron And Wine, Band Of Horses or Animal Collective? These are all in the similar things "i might like" genre apparently?????
    have you listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, A Hawk And A Hack Saw, Iron And Wine, Band Of Horses or Animal Collective? These are all in the similar things "i might like" genre apparently?????

I LOVE all those bands.....definitely check them out (although I wouldn't lump Animal Collective in that similar group....they are great - but they are way "out there")

I would highly recommend Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days and both Band Of Horses albums I have heard are great
  • The 'Lon Gisland EP' has been playing on my ipod for weeks now. It is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    The 'Lon Gisland EP' has been playing on my ipod for weeks now. It is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.

Scenic World has become one of my fav tracks EVER
    Tek Money wrote:

I already posted a link to this video (and the one for the Penalty).....try to keep up ;)
  • Oh, you are always ahead of me.

For the record. I showed you the link first.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    Oh, you are always ahead of me.

For the record. I showed you the link first.

Now now kids.........:)

Ive got all of the above and will get back to ya with opinions when ive been thru em all ;)
  • Id like to buy The Flying Cup. I heard one song of it and its pretty acez.
    S'cuse the shit name!
  • Todd76 wrote:

My my, they are pretty damn good! I read theres a dvd coming out to accompany The Club Cup, i can see a purchase on the horizon if that is true? :D

Thanks for the great link

Have ya seen this one, theres 12 more videos for your viewing pleasure just waiting for ya!
    http://flyingclubcup.com/
    My my, they are pretty damn good! I read theres a dvd coming out to accompany The Club Cup, i can see a purchase on the horizon if that is true? :D

Thanks for the great link

Have ya seen this one, theres 12 more videos for your viewing pleasure just waiting for ya!
    http://flyingclubcup.com/

glad you like em.....great band (Nantes is my favorite track - soooooo good)

I have seen the videos on that Flying Club Cup site (but thanks for the heads up anyways)......the DVD that Beirut is releasing is basically just those same 12 videos - they did one video for every track off Flying Club Cup (filmed by the same crew who do the Take Away shows)......I definitely plan on picking it up at some point.

that Take Away Shows (La Blogoteque) site has some really great videos on it.......stuff from the National, the Shins, Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, Final Fantasy, Menomena, Handsome Furs, Animal Collective, Mojave 3, Vampire Weekend, Jens Lekman.....all are definitely worth checking out/downloading
  • Todd76 wrote:
    glad you like em.....great band (Nantes is my favorite track - soooooo good)

I have seen the videos on that Flying Club Cup site (but thanks for the heads up anyways)......the DVD that Beirut is releasing is basically just those same 12 videos - they did one video for every track off Flying Club Cup (filmed by the same crew who do the Take Away shows)......I definitely plan on picking it up at some point.

that Take Away Shows (La Blogoteque) site has some really great videos on it.......stuff from the National, the Shins, Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, Final Fantasy, Menomena, Handsome Furs, Animal Collective, Mojave 3, Vampire Weekend, Jens Lekman.....all are definitely worth checking out/downloading

Ive never heard of that Take Away Shows site before has it been round long?

Cheers for the recommendations for bands to d/l, i errrr will d/l them now off a paying site of course ;) hehehe
    Ive never heard of that Take Away Shows site before has it been round long?

Cheers for the recommendations for bands to d/l, i errrr will d/l them now off a paying site of course ;) hehehe

Tek Money recommended the site to me a couple months back......some great stuff on there

......as far as downloading goes - I was referring to the videos on the Take Away Shows site (you can download all the videos to your computer or to your iPod)......all perfectly legal :)
  • Todd76 wrote:
    Tek Money recommended the site to me a couple months back......some great stuff on there

......as far as downloading goes - I was referring to the videos on the Take Away Shows site (you can download all the videos to your computer or to your iPod)......all perfectly legal :)

nice, i may aswell have somethng to fill my 160gb!!!!!!!!

cheers for the tip