Eels

gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Any love on this forum for this band? Mark Oliver Everett is one of the most gifted and unique songwriters I have ever heard. Every album he's ever made is completely different than the last and there is no song that I don't like by them. Most underrated band I have ever heard.

For the uninitiated: Eels may be a band, but they are really a vehicle for singer/songwriter Mark Everett (who also goes by the names E, Mr. E, and MC Honky). Sort of like Weezer is for Rivers Cuomo. The style of music ranges from alternative rock, to pop, to country, to punk, to jazz, to hard rock and everything in between.

Everett is the son of a legitimate genius, his father was a world-class physicist who died when E was pretty young. After the Eels made it big with their debut, Beautiful Freak, in 1996, E had to deal with the suicide of his sister and the death of his mother from cancer. The album Electro-Shock Blues is E's attempt to make sense of life now that his entire family is gone. The album manages to be depressing and uplifting at the same time, thanks to E's ability to keep his sense of humor in tact and it is widely regarded by Eels fans as a masterpiece.

The next album, Daisies of the Galaxy, is really upbeat but you can still tell he's not quite alright. Souljacker is a return to the alt-rock of Beautiful Freak and Shootenanny! is a lot of fun too, but perhaps not his strongest work. In 2006 a double-album, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations, was released and it is very, very good. It gives the listener clear insight into the mind of a tortured musical genius who has come to terms with his life thus far. The songs are incredibly well crafted.

For people who are interested in hearing the music of this incredible band, there is a greatest hits CD being released in January called Meet The Eels. It's a great starting point. E also wrote a book on his life that is being critically acclaimed entitled Things The Grandchildren Should Know.

If you're into downloading songs here are a few goodies: Novocaine For The Soul, 3 Speed, Last Stop: This Town, Mr. E's Beautiful Blues, Fresh Feeling and Trouble With Dreams

Go check 'em out if you don't know who they are and show your appreciation if you do!
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I really enjoyed Blinking Lights. Haven't checked out anything else yet.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Electro Shock Blues remains the quintessential Eels record in my opinion. Maybe the most honest album I've ever heard. Certainly the most introspective.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • This is a review of E's book by Pete Townshend.

"E's story is a good example of the way an adverse life in childhood and adolescence shapes an artist, creates eccentricity and ultimately contributes to brilliance. This is one of the best books ever written by a contemporary artist. I learned more about my own business and my own methods by reading this book than I did by reading the life of Chuck Berry, Elvis or David Bowie." - Pete Townshend
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I have to check them out. I've been saying that to myself for the last 10 years but now I'm decided: I'm going to buy one of their albums... :D
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • they are...........ok.ish
  • i got all their stuff after really enjoying them at lolla 2 years ago... i dont feel like their studio stuff quite captures the same energy as their live show but i still like it... the singers voice has a nice raw quality to it and learning about all the hard times hes been through really helps to see where he comes from and is going musically
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • E is right up there with the best, really looking forward to the book, got tickets to see them in feb in manchester.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    "Do you know what it's like to care too much
    about someone that you're never gonna get to touch,
    Hey man, now you're really living"

Trooth.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Double post.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i like birds :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Hey Gleemonex you know your Eels/E history.I was about to launch into my knowledge of the band but thanks,yours was great.They are an amazing band and although very much a vehicle for Mark thay are a tight band.I have their entire body of work as well as some rarities.But Electro Shock Blues has a special place for me.I recently watched a fasinating documentry called Parallel Minds Parallel Lives (I think?) anyway title irrelevant.It was a road trip that Mark took to find out about his fathers life and work,of which he knew very little about.It was very sensitively filmed with Eels music making up the soundtrack.It was both sad and uplifting and Mark came over as a very sensitive humble man.It was wonderful t.v,a rare event in this life of mind numbing cult of celebrity t.v.
    Anyway a wonderful often underrated/misunderstood band.I have tickets to see them live in February.Seen them many times but always return.
    Thanks for bringing to the pit.Everyone else take time to find out about this band.They wont dissapoint.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    Hey Gleemonex you know your Eels/E history.I was about to launch into my knowledge of the band but thanks,yours was great.They are an amazing band and although very much a vehicle for Mark thay are a tight band.I have their entire body of work as well as some rarities.But Electro Shock Blues has a special place for me.I recently watched a fasinating documentry called Parallel Minds Parallel Lives (I think?) anyway title irrelevant.It was a road trip that Mark took to find out about his fathers life and work,of which he knew very little about.It was very sensitively filmed with Eels music making up the soundtrack.It was both sad and uplifting and Mark came over as a very sensitive humble man.It was wonderful t.v,a rare event in this life of mind numbing cult of celebrity t.v.
    Anyway a wonderful often underrated/misunderstood band.I have tickets to see them live in February.Seen them many times but always return.
    Thanks for bringing to the pit.Everyone else take time to find out about this band.They wont dissapoint.

I saw that documentry on BBC 4 and you are right a rare moment of tv gold. Over the past 10 years Eels (E) along with pearl jam have become the 2 bands i listen to the most. When you are in that place there is no better album than Electro Shock Blues.

Maybe its time to live
  • I'm so jealous that you're going to see them prodacake. They've never come to Winnipeg before! If they did I'd be there in a second. I wanted to go see them in Minneapolis on the With Strings tour, but none of my friends liked or knew their music enough for a road trip.
  • They always play quite near to where i live here in the uk so its always no problem for me to see them. A very underated band but once you buy an album you just cant get enough
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Forgot all about this band, brings me back to 7th grade
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    prodacake wrote:
    I saw that documentry on BBC 4 and you are right a rare moment of tv gold. Over the past 10 years Eels (E) along with pearl jam have become the 2 bands i listen to the most. When you are in that place there is no better album than Electro Shock Blues.

Maybe its time to live

Do you secretly live in my house? :)
    They are the 2 bands I listen to most 2.Mp3 also chocca with them.I only wish I had seen Pearl Jam live as much as I have seen Eels live.
    I thought I was the only one that saw BBC3 programme.Glad you enjoyed also.

Indeed it is time to live.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”