New Weezer Album

bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Anyone have it yet? What do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'll be getting it later today, but im thinking i love the 5.99 pricetag!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    pjny wrote:
    i'll be getting it later today, but im thinking i love the 5.99 pricetag!

$5.99 where?
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    After my first listen I thought it was terrible. It is growing on me real quick. "Dreaming" easily could have been on the first album, "The Angel and the One" is epic, and "Pork and Beans" is a great single.

If you get the chance though, get the deluxe edition with "Miss Sweeney" and "Pig", those two are the best thing they've done since Pinkerton.
  • NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    Got it over the weekend... Wow!
    'Heart Songs', 'Everybody Get Dangerous', and a killer version of 'The Wieght'(The Band).

I would recomend it to anyone a fan of thier first two albums...
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Got it over the weekend... Wow!
    'Heart Songs', 'Everybody Get Dangerous', and a killer version of 'The Wieght'(The Band).

I would recomend it to anyone a fan of thier first two albums...

"Heart Songs" and "Everybody Get Dangerous" are easily two of the weaker songs on the album with "Cold Dark World" and "Thought I Knew". The rest of the album is pretty solid though.

"Everybody Get Dangerous" reminds me of "Can't Stop" by RHCP every time I listen to it.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I don't understand them. Miss Sweeney and Pig are the two best tracks and only made the Deluxe version.
  • mulva9 wrote:
    I don't understand them. Miss Sweeney and Pig are the two best tracks and only made the Deluxe version.

They probably know that -- they're incentives for giving the band more cash.

Was looking forward to purchasing this one, but after i heard a bunch of leaked songs on youtube, i will respectfully pass. the single is vintage weezer though.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Love the new album....and all the others.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    $5.99 where?

Circuit City
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I wasn't planning on picking up this album after previewing some of the songs on youtube, but when I saw CC had it for 5.99, I figured why not. Definitely worth 6 bucks.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    love the blue album
    love pinkerton
    kinda like green album
    dont like maladroit a lot
    gave up

and....

the new album has a couple good tracks but on the whole, sucks
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    "Heart Songs" and "Everybody Get Dangerous" are easily two of the weaker songs on the album with "Cold Dark World" and "Thought I Knew". The rest of the album is pretty solid though.

"Everybody Get Dangerous" reminds me of "Can't Stop" by RHCP every time I listen to it.

Your opinion... And your entitled to it.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • so i lied.......went out and bought it........the pork and beans 7" red vinyl for free with it from my local record store sold me. i like about 60 percent of the album, which is I guess better than the amount I liked before. Some of it flat out blows, like 'Thought I Knew' with Brian Bell on vocals -- sounds like Good Charlotte for christ sakes. However, I like Patrick Wilson's contribution on vocals (he wrote it too) on Automatic -- that track rocks.

This damn red vinyl for free is pretty cool too.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Heard it for the first time tonight and I'm loving it.
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    It's a pretty damn good album. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived, Pork and Beans, Heart Songs, Dreamin', and Automatic are very good songs. I will agree that Cold Dark World is pretty weak, as is Thought I Knew. But overall, I think this is a very good album, better than their last.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    $5.99 where?

Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • keithjamkeithjam Posts: 38
    I love the Red Album. It is vintage Geeky Weezer rock. Sure some songs borrow on other artist IE Dangerous and RHCP, but the album rocks.

I think it is much better than their last album with Beverly Hills on it.
  • Automatic fuckin rocks! Kudos to Patrick, the drummer, who wrote and sings this song!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I like Weezer, but I feel like the band owes me at least $40 for all of the really crappy songs (and in some cases albums) they have produced. Plus, the albums are usually less then 35 minutes. I'm OK with 3 minute songs, but they need to record more then ten.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    keithjam wrote:
    I love the Red Album. It is vintage Geeky Weezer rock. Sure some songs borrow on other artist IE Dangerous and RHCP, but the album rocks.

I think it is much better than their last album with Beverly Hills on it.

Well that sounds good. I haven't heard any of the songs but after Make Believe Im wary...
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • I want to like these past couple albums, i really do...but this shit just keeps getting lyrically weaker and weaker.

Gavin Rossdale thinks these songs are lame.
  • I just got the Deluxe Edition. Haven't listened to it yet, but was reading through the liner notes.

Has anyone noticed the amount of spelling and grammar errors in the Deluxe Edition notes?
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Jason P wrote:
    I like Weezer, but I feel like the band owes me at least $40 for all of the really crappy songs (and in some cases albums) they have produced. Plus, the albums are usually less then 35 minutes. I'm OK with 3 minute songs, but they need to record more then ten.

Only one song is under 3 minutes. And most are over 4 minutes. So that theory doesn't apply with this record.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • thecorythecory Posts: 290
    i love the fact that rolling stone didn't like it. 2 and a half stars!! i seem to remember another weezer album that rolling stone panned. it featured the likes of 'across the sea'. they've since am mended their review to 5 stars for that one.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Hmm. some tunes are pretty good. Some are really weak.

The b-sides are all pretty solid though!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • dustdust Posts: 133
    I'm so ridiculously excited by this album
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Ms Sweeney and the Spider are both awesome/both B-sides. This is whats weird to me. The lyrics are even very good. Why does Rivers keep the records so childish. I just don't get it.

He's nuts
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    I don't "get" this band at all. Rubbish!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    I like it for the most part. It's an improvement since Make Believe at least.
  • Automatic is a pretty cool pop rock song, I'll give them that.
    Horry Kow!