Radiohead....where to begin?

bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
edited July 2006 in Other Music
What album should I buy first?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OK Computer
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • ParasolParasol Posts: 319
    The Bends

OK Computer

Pablo Honey

Kid A

Amnesiac

Hail to the Thief
    --- Barcelona 01/09/2006 ---
    ---- Lisbon 04/09/2006
    ---- Lisbon 05/09/2006
    "One of the best...The Best! Thank You!" Eddie Vedder. 05/09/2006 Lisbon, Portugal
    2007:
    ---- Lisbon 08/06/2007 ----
    ---- London 18/06/2007 ----
    --- Nijmegen 28/06/2007 ---
    --- Werchter 29/06/2007 ---
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    the bends. it's a rock'n'roll masterpiece. then move on to ok computer, which is also excellent but a bit more out there. after that, you can stop.
  • pj 79pj 79 Posts: 150
    bryn_cmbs wrote:

Pablo Honey
    25/11/05
    26/11/05
    13/11/11
    03/04/13
    07/11/15

TOUCH ME, I'M DICK
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    Hail to the Thief...

If you like straightforward songs like "go to sleep" or "2+2=5" the most... then go on to the Bends

If you like things like "the gloaming" or "sit down, stand up" and the weird electronica... then go to kid a

If you like the pure emotion of the album and the challenging arrangements (maybe say as in "there there")... go to OK Computer

No matter what you like, Radiohead has done it better than on Hail to the Thief. But this is the only album where you'll be introduced to all their styles.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • the bends is definitely the most accessible to a new listener...then go to ok computer..........then keep going with the others, but don't give up on them. they're challenging but totally worth it.
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    Start with The Bends and go forward with all subsequent releases. You could probably skip Pablo Honey all together except the song "Blowout" might be worth buying it.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i really love all the albums.. including pablo honey and hail to the theif..

as said above though I would start with The Bends then move on to OK Computer and Kid A and then try out the others

The next one will be out soon also and from the live stuff i've heard its gonna be a good one!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This is the only advice you need:

Skip the first album (pablo honey) it sucks. Then get the rest in order they were released:

the bends
    ok computer
    kid a
    amnisiac
    hail to the thief

enjoy you can thank me later :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    intodeep wrote:
    This is the only advice you need:

Skip the first album (pablo honey) it sucks. Then get the rest in order they were released:

the bends
    ok computer
    kid a
    amnisiac
    hail to the thief

enjoy you can thank me later :)

I think that is a decent strategy, but I might suggest that after picking up The Bends and OK Computer that a newbie skip to HTTF. That record has a mix of the more straightforward guitar-based sound of Bends and OKC, and the electronic, ethereal sound of Kid A/Amnesiac. If someone picks up HTTF and still enjoys what they hear, then they should go for Kid A and Amnesiac.

Just another way of going about it...
    rock chalk
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    jhawk98 wrote:
    I think that is a decent strategy, but I might suggest that after picking up The Bends and OK Computer that a newbie skip to HTTF. That record has a mix of the more straightforward guitar-based sound of Bends and OKC, and the electronic, ethereal sound of Kid A/Amnesiac. If someone picks up HTTF and still enjoys what they hear, then they should go for Kid A and Amnesiac.

Just another way of going about it...

yeah, do it in order. you wouldn't watch Return of the King before Fellowship of the ring right?

part of the beauty of radiohead is seeing them grow into what they are now. the most influential band of our era.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    The Bends
    Ok Computer

then, go from there...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • the bends. it's a rock'n'roll masterpiece. then move on to ok computer, which is also excellent but a bit more out there. after that, you can stop.
    i agree that's where you should start, but their later albums are incredible.

Lots of people don't like them cuz they're different though :rolleyes:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Acquire the 24-CD bootleg Towering Above The Rest and quit your life to listen to it in its entirety.

Kidding.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i agree that's where you should start, but their later albums are incredible.

Lots of people don't like them cuz they're different though :rolleyes:

i just dont care for electronica, ambience, or anything of the sort. i like my guitars. *shrugs*
  • Parasol wrote:
    The Bends

OK Computer

Pablo Honey

Kid A

Amnesiac

Hail to the Thief

this is how i would do it as well.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Listen to The Bends first.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    i just dont care for electronica, ambience, or anything of the sort. i like my guitars. *shrugs*

The Bends and OK Computer are two of my favorite albums. I know them note for note and could get tired of them. I've only listened to Kid A maybe 5 times. I've had Amnesiac for years and I haven't listened to it once. I still don't have Hail to the Thief.

I'm an ass.

OK, I like Kid A and I appreciate them trying something different with music, but its hit or miss. Its not a complete album to me. I think OK Computer is their masterpiece. It is genius throughout and awesome in the truest sense of the word. The Bends, while not as shockingly brilliant, is an intense and/or beautiful record throughout and easily the perfect primer album for anyone who has not heard this band. Its truly amazing how much better of a record is than their debut, Pablo Honey. I don't think any other band has ever made such a leap.

I am curious to hear their last two records, and I really ought to do so before the next one come out. :D
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I started with The Bends. Its' my favorite Radiohead album and the best place to start. From there move on to Ok Computer and the like before getting Pablo Honey. PH isn't a bad album but really isn't all that good either.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    bryn_cmbs wrote:

Pablo Honey
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • Start at the beginning and go to the end! How about that? What a concept!
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Hmm... I actually like pablo honey but for a newbie I'd go along with the Bends - it's a classic. I still have it on cassette and drag it out every now and then. Must get it on cd, lol.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Hmm... I actually like pablo honey but for a newbie I'd go along with the Bends - it's a classic. I still have it on cassette and drag it out every now and then. Must get it on cd, lol.

Get out! I've got Pablo Honey on reel to reel. :)
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    gabers wrote:
    Get out! I've got Pablo Honey on reel to reel. :)

Lol :D well I'm not that bad :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Okay, here's my take. I love OK Computer and proclaimed for several years it was their greatest album but have to concede now that The Bends is better, from beginning to end. At this time I'd rank their studio albums in this order:

The Bends
    OK Computer
    Hail to the Theif
    Kid A
    Pablo Honey
    Amnesiac

The Bends is one of the top three or four best rock albums of the 90's. Pablo Honey is a good rock album too, it just isn't nearly as consistent. OK Computer has the best first six songs of any Radiohead album, but the remaining six just aren't as strong. Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Theif are a mix of rock and electronic haze, with Amnesiac being the most electronica and Hail to the Theif the least of the three. But here's a secret nobody has mentioned yet. They have a bunch of killer b sides. A friend compiled a whole albums worth of b sides we call The Bends II. If you can get you hands on these singles, do it.

India Rubber
    Lewis (Mistreated)
    Banana Co.
    Talk Show Host
    Killer Cars
    Maquiladora
    Molasses
    Trickster
    Bishop's Robes
    Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
    Pearly
    Permanent Daylight
    How Can You Be Sure
    You Never Wash Up After Yourself

If this were an actual album you could purchase I'd rank it just behind The Bends. It's that good.
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    get a copy of the 2003 concert in France, it ran on cable last month, or get Bonnaroo bootleg from this year. I think great places to start if you're interested in checking out what Radiohead is all about- the great live shows.
  • i just dont care for electronica, ambience, or anything of the sort. i like my guitars. *shrugs*
    Yeah exactly, it's too different.

Which is understandable.

"Make our day"
  • GeorgeinNY wrote:
    get a copy of the 2003 concert in France, it ran on cable last month, or get Bonnaroo bootleg from this year. I think great places to start if you're interested in checking out what Radiohead is all about- the great live shows.
    Radiohead is one of the only bands i'd give the benefit of a doubt to put on a better live show than Pearl Jam.

And your friend left off a TON of other incredible b-sides ;)

Follow Me Around (premiere b-side from HTTT - played live a bunch), Where Bluebirds Fly, Lift (maybe the most hailed b-side other than maybe Talk Show Host), etc. :)

"Make our day"
  • have you heard the new stuff? some pretty rockin' tunes (spooks and bodysnatchers are my faves). but even the beat-oriented stuff has some nice riffing in it (15 step, down is the new up).

i saw them at the greek on 6/30...amazing show. you can d/l it at dime...incredible sound.
    yeah, i think they're moving back towards the guitars. That started with HTTT.

"Make our day"