Options

Drugs are bad

Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
edited May 2006 in Other Music
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Metallica frontman James Hetfield fought back tears on Friday as he recounted his public battle with addiction, and labelled the sex, drugs and rock' n' roll ethos as a "horrible myth."

The 42-year-old singer/guitarist was being honoured at a Hollywood fundraiser for the MusiCares MAP Fund, which provides access to addiction recovery for members of the music community.

The event, which also honoured concert promoter Bill Silva, culminated in a three-song set by Hetfield and Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo, along with Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney. They dusted off the Alice in Chains songs "Would?" and "Them Bones," and finished with the Metallica ballad "Nothing Else Matters."
Other performers included Tom Waits, Velvet Revolver, Jason Mraz and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Guests included Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, Motorhead frontman Lemmy, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich and guitarist Kirk Hammett, and Red Hot Chili Peppers singer Anthony Kiedis. They reclined on couches scattered throughout the Music Box @ Fonda and imbibed alcohol-free refreshments, thus avoiding the risk of any public relapses.

Hetfield began his speech asking for a moment of silence "for the people who didn't make it, that aren't with us, who could be and I think should be."

He recounted the old saw that "dying is easy, living is hard," and offered his own recovery as proof that addiction is survivable.

Five years ago, things were different, he recalled, expressing gratitude to the award-winning documentary "Some Kind of Monster," which depicted Metallica's virtual dissolution as Hetfield began a lengthy rehabilitation to treat drug and alcohol abuse.

"I think that movie helped some people, and it took the black veil away, it took the mystique and the mystery out of the rock myth 'sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll,'" he said.

"What a horrible statement, to me. It is a myth. And to have those things attached to music, which is the best drug in the whole f
' world, moves me like no other. And I thank God that I discovered that gift early on."

He alluded to his constant daily struggle, connecting with real emotions such as fear and love.

He also paid tribute to his bandmates and producer Bob Rock for saving his life daily, as well as wife Francesca and their three children, 7-year-old daughter Cali, 5-year-old son Castor, and especially 4-year-old daughter Marcella, whom he tearfully described as the glue that kept the family together during his darkest days.

Other performers chimed in with bons mots during the evening. Waits congratulated Hetfield, saying "getting sober's not for sissies."

And Velvet Revolver singer Scott Weiland dedicated the band's acoustic cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" to "everyone from Gram Parsons to Kurt Cobain."

The event raised about $300,000 (158,000 pounds) for MAP MusiCares, which is part of the National Academy of Recordings Arts and Sciences, the group that organises the Grammy Awards.

Reuters/VNU
It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Good read.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    thanks for sharing that article.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    that was good to read...

does this mean Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is reasonably anti-drug? I'd like it to be that way. They're a great young band and I'd hate to see them spiral into that kind of shit
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    As a huge Metallica fan I really hate to say this...but Hetfeild has turned into a huge pussy. We need the boys in Metallica to be full of anger and hate while messed out of their minds. Thats when they make good music...
  • Options
    As a huge Metallica fan I really hate to say this...but Hetfeild has turned into a huge pussy. We need the boys in Metallica to be full of anger and hate while messed out of their minds. Thats when they make good music...

I think that was just coincidence.Had they have been clean back in the old days I'm sure they still would've been as good.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    wavin_goodbyewavin_goodbye Posts: 135

weren't they messed out of their minds in the 90s too? music wasn't all that great..
  • Options
    Just say no.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613

That's a really shit thing to say if you are implying that you would prefer him to be fucked up on drugs / alcohol / whatever just so you get better music.
    And you claim to be a huge Metallica fan... Hmmm
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    LedZepFan wrote:
    that was good to read...

does this mean Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is reasonably anti-drug? I'd like it to be that way. They're a great young band and I'd hate to see them spiral into that kind of shit

i would imagine with peter hayes having spent some time working with anton newcombe, that would be enough to turn someone off drugs forever.

The event raised about $300,000 (158,000 pounds) for MAP MusiCares, which is part of the National Academy of Recordings Arts and Sciences, the group that organises the Grammy Awards.

imagine how much they could've raised if those present dug into their own pockets?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559

Musicians drug should be music, nothing else.

If turning into a huge pussy means he gets to live and watch his young family grow up then im sure he's ok with people calling him that.
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:
    Musicians drug should be music, nothing else.

If turning into a huge pussy means he gets to live and watch his young family grow up then im sure he's ok with people calling him that.

Damn right.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    i would imagine with peter hayes having spent some time working with anton newcombe, that would be enough to turn someone off drugs forever.

Hahahaha!

(The bottom line of your signature is brilliance mate)
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,818
    LedZepFan wrote:
    that was good to read...

BRMC are a borderline christian rock band.

they're kind of the inverse of Creed.

Creed exploited Christianity but just were really just a bunch of butt head rock stars

BRMC exploit rock music but really are just a bunch of good little christians
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yeah junkies shouldn't do drugs.. but dont blame drugs period.. how can you put mushrooms and crack in the same catagory? all the fucking music from the 70s was drug influenced from jimi, to zeppelin to fleetwood to pink floyd... all of which influenced pearl jam and most of the early 90s
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!