Great Folk Artists?

BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I like Folk but I dont really know many artists can anyone suggest some good folk?
Shows:
San Diego 2003
Grand Rapids 2004
Grand Rapids 2006
Detroit 2006
Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Righteous Babe Records has some great folk, Ani Difranco is cream of the crop in terms of folk in my book. If you like the political side of pearl jam, you will love her music.

Dan Bern is great

David Rovics

Billy Bragg

Jack Johnson

Woody Guthrie
  • john prine

end thread
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I'm a fan of Gillian Welch, although some people consider her alt-country.

Also Beth Orton's latest album "Comfort of Strangers" is some good relaxing music.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • also check out ben harper. He is eclectic musically, playing anything from reggae to rock to hip hop, and folk. His early records are very folky. His new record, is split into 2 cd's, one rock, one folk, the folk record is mindblowing.

For old time folk try the nitty gritty dirt band, or crosby stills nash and young,

some neil young, could be considered folk.

Indigo Girls

tracy chapman

damien rice
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    One of my favourite artists EVER is Canadian singer/songwriter Sarah Harmer...i'm not sure that she's necessarily "folk" but the term comes up alot in reviews of her music

she has 3 albums: You Were Here, All Of Our Names, and I'm A Mountain - they are all incredible
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    for some freak folk:

Devendra Banhart

Joanna Newsome

Cocorosie

Karl Blau

Jose Gonzalez (not so much a freak folk artist, more straight ahead folk)

And my favorite folk genre, anti-folk:

Kimya Dawson

The Moldy Peaches

Jeffrey & Jack Lewis
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Leadbelly

Woody Guthrie

early Dylan

early Joan Baez

Carter Family

Bert Jansch

Fairport Convention

A modern guy who is brilliant is Martin Simpson
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    wilco and billy bragg got together and put new music to the words of woody guthrie. it's called mermaid avenue. as far as i know there are two CDs. you should check it out.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    Phil Ochs
  • Folk is such a limiting term for acoustic based music, but you could try Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, Nick Drake, The Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson, Pentangle, Dick Gaughan, the live Tim Buckley album "Dream Letter",
    and the guv'nor of them all, John Martyn (but he's so much more than just folk). The two albums John did, with his ex-wife Beverley Martyn are great, too.

For Irish folk, try Planxty, and The Dubliners. Then, start checking out old players such as Seamus Ennis, Michael Coleman and Johnny Doran.

For African folk, try Toumani Diabate, and Ali Farka Toure.

There's a really good singer and guitarist around int he UK, at the moment, called John Smith:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=43995702&MyToken=bc8cf0dd-cb43-47d4-ad6c-140b40a7ea8b

And if you like your folk mixed up with electric music, jazz, and soul, try Terry Callier:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=60730413&MyToken=bc8cf0dd-cb43-47d4-ad6c-140b40a7ea8b
  • you cant go wrong with devendra banhart,saw him in manchester a few weeks ago,blew me away,the best voice around at the moment.......

david kitt for some truly modern folk,and iron and wine for some dark twisted folk!!
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • gjemselgjemsel Posts: 77
    Sawyer wrote:
    mountain goats

joshua radin

brett dennen

matt costa

cary brothers

the weepies

Agreed. Great group of musicians. (Just saw most of them on Monday night.) And ironically I am watching Lost as I type this.
    . . . and in the aching night under satellites, I was not received. --CC
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    BinGnarly wrote:
    I like Folk but I dont really know many artists can anyone suggest some good folk?
    Indigo Girls
    James Taylor
    Xavier Rudd (folk Aussie style!)
    The Weepies
    Iron & Wine
    Paul Westerberg
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Mason Jennings

Matt Costa

Jeff Curro
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Old Crow Medicine Show.

John Prine is a nice suggestion, also.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    One of my favorite albums is Jerry Garcia and David Grisman's Shady Grove. On it, they play several classic folk and bluegrass tunes. Absolutely classic acoustic music!!