Options

Flaming lips four albums in one???

BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I've been hearing about this Flaming lips album that you have to play four discs at the same time. Or something crazy like that does anyone know if this is true?
Shows:
San Diego 2003
Grand Rapids 2004
Grand Rapids 2006
Detroit 2006
Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Very much true. Zaireeka. I bought it the day it came out and have never played it....Well I did play disc 1 however it didn't do squat for me. So it just sits there on the shelf all pretty looking.

I have never really bothered to try and play all 4 discs. Though I keep saying I will bring it into a CD shop and have them do it just to get the full effect.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    All 4 at once reveals the "true" songs. You can play any combination of them at once to get unique sounds. It is way too much for me, but I've heard the "true" songs are actually pretty good.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,825
    its awesome when heard in its full effect.

it gets a lot louder than what you would expect.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Theres a 5.1 DVD mix of it out there so you can hear it mixed 'down' from 8 speakers. I've got a copy of it, and its very cool, and almost unsettling at times (my dog freaks out at the end of 'The Big ol' Bug is the New Baby Now'). Never heard the true 8 speaker mix though.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Sounds pretty crazy my friend keeps ranting and raving about it Ill have to check it out some time.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    overrated as hell, but a cool concept nonetheless
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it's true.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love the flaming lips, but i don't want to feel like shit from listening to this.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    it's really complex and out of control as expected, but a really interesting thing about the album is that there are some frequencies that are either so high or so low that they can make you physically ill. there's a disclaimer that like warns you about it. haha my friends claim they felt like crap for a few hours after they listened to it. only wayne...

Ambitious AND nauseating. Way to go, Wayne!

:D

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    If anyone wants a copy of the surround dvd (you'll obviously need a surround sound system), pm me, and I'd be glad to B&P it for you. If you aren't sure what a b&p is, check here:

http://www.mcnichol.com/bnp/
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    The fact that they could sell this to the "suits" is the ideal part of the whole album. Even if I never hear it the way it is supposed to be played. They actaully sold the idea as something that would sell.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Is there a regular stereo mix of the full album? I know they released a few tracks on the Soft Bulletin singles...
  • Options
    How are you suppsoed to play four discs at once and get the timing right? I mean, how many people will actually be able to or have the right machine(s) to do that with?
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,825
    char25 wrote:
    How are you suppsoed to play four discs at once and get the timing right? I mean, how many people will actually be able to or have the right machine(s) to do that with?

4 boomboxes and 4 friends....its not suppose to be something that you listen to by yourself...its suppose to be a social event when you listen to it.

what i did to listen to it alone was to let a disc play for 20 seconds, 15 seconds, 10 seconds, and 5 seconds and then press pause on each disc. Then using my computer timer i would press play on the 5 sec disc....wait 5 seconds then press play on the 10 second disc...wait 5 seconds....press play on the 15 second disc...wait five seconds and press play on the 20 second disc.

worked perfectly
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    even flow? wrote:
    The fact that they could sell this to the "suits" is the ideal part of the whole album. Even if I never hear it the way it is supposed to be played. They actaully sold the idea as something that would sell.

The original idea was much, much bigger. You should all check out a doc called "The Fearless Freaks." It's available on DVD and it has been playing on IFC or Sundance, one of the two, lately. It's the story of the Lips. And there is a portion about Wayne's "parking lot" experiments. "Boom Box" experiments. And then this album that plays on four separate CD players.

It's a terrific documentary. Wayne Coyne, I believe, is the most creative, ingenious human walking the earth. He transcends thought as we know it. And the beauty of his work ... he's doing it to have fun and share his joy with others.

The Lips will be playing a free show in Philly in July. Check it out if you are in town.

(I feel like the Chewlies Gum guy from "Clerks," but I can tell you, I do not work for The Flaming Lips!)
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    4 boomboxes and 4 friends....its not suppose to be something that you listen to by yourself...its suppose to be a social event when you listen to it.

what i did to listen to it alone was to let a disc play for 20 seconds, 15 seconds, 10 seconds, and 5 seconds and then press pause on each disc. Then using my computer timer i would press play on the 5 sec disc....wait 5 seconds then press play on the 10 second disc...wait 5 seconds....press play on the 15 second disc...wait five seconds and press play on the 20 second disc.

worked perfectly

Ah, I see...I just couldn't be bothered to do that I guess, sounds pretty interesting all the same.
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...