Options

new to neil young

iAmNoKilleriAmNoKiller Posts: 25
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I've recently acquired two Neil Young c.d.'s: Tonights the Night, and his greatest hits. It took me a little while, but I'm really digging his stuff. I know there are a lot of his fans here; so I was just wondering what album is your favorite, and what song. Thanks for the reply. So far my favorite song is "Comes a Time."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    I've recently acquired two Neil Young c.d.'s: Tonights the Night, and his greatest hits. It took me a little while, but I'm really digging his stuff. I know there are a lot of his fans here; so I was just wondering what album is your favorite, and what song. Thanks for the reply. So far my favorite song is "Comes a Time."

i guess my fave is still decade. i always liked "words" and cortez the killer, but i have to think on that one...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    You absolutely need these AT LEAST:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    After The Gold Rush
    Harvest (probably his most popular album)
    On The Beach
    Rust Never Sleeps (half acoustic/half grunge/all live)
    Freedom (his the original "Rockin In The Free World")
    Ragged Glory (has the original "Fucking Up")

...and any live album.
  • Options
    Depends what kind of mood I'm in, right now I'm in the process of watching the Heart of Gold dvd that was released yeasterday, it's very very good, gives me a new level of love for Prarie Wind. My other faves would be Harvest, Weld, Mirriorball, Zuma and Ragged Glory.
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    freedom has crime in the city-part ???? i love that song.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    JWBusher wrote:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowehere
    After The Gold Rush
    On The Beach
    Freedom (his big "comeback" album)

...and any live album.

this person knows what they are talking about. go to your nearest second hand store and purchase all of these.

BUT

these two also:

prairie wind
    and
    living with war (just to see what neil is doing presently)

and go watch or download heart of gold. you will be blown away. in fact, dont get prairie wind until AFTER youve seen this movie! let it be the first time you hear the songs. its amazing. ENJOY YOUR NEIL. you are lucky to have just gotten into him....lots of hours of listening ahead of you!!!!

remember , HEART OF GOLD by Jonathan Demme.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    JWBusher wrote:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    After The Gold Rush
    On The Beach
    Freedom (his the original "Rockin In The Free World")

...and any live album.

Sounds about right...

I would add Sleeps with Angels, I know a lot of Young fans that don't really like it but it's one of my favourites...

Oh and Neil Young Unplugged.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think my favorite album is On the Beach. It is dark and moody like Tonights the Night. As for a song that is really hard to choose. Ambulance Blues and Like a Hurricane are always up there for me.

I don't have the greatest hits so i'm not sure about the song selection but Live Rust is a great entry level neil cd. The first half is acoustic and has songs like comes a time and the second half is electric and is much more rockin.

for albums if you enjoy comes a time a lot you may want to check out Harvest next. Harvest and After the Gold rush may be two albums you would really dig.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    thanks a lot, I'm gonna have to check into all of those
  • Options
    I like Greendale and On the Beach.
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis