is, "Stairway to Heaven," overrated?

2»

Comments

• mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Overrated, no. The problem is that all other Zeppelin songs are underrated. They should be on the same level as Stairway. Even Hot Dog.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY!!!

one of the greatest song ever!! that song will never be overrated!!! never!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    You just hit my sore spot!

Presence a great album???? Hardly. It has 2 great songs, one of which (Achilles ) may be the greatest rock song ever made, but that hardly makes up for the rest of the album being average.

Graffiti is definitely a great album, as a matter of fact, I'd say it's one of the greatest.

You just listen to the Greatest Hits too much to appreciate the other songs.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:

But he's right. Presence is not a great album.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    But he's right. Presence is not a great album.

I don't know, Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Tea for One, For Your Life. Those are all great songs.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    it is an amazing song, sure...but if i never hear it played ever again, it'll be too soon. sorry, i LOVE led zep, to the deeps of my soul...but that song got RUINED for me during my teen years, completely obliterated, over-played beyond belief. so yea....i appreciate it's mastery...but i just don't want to hear it ever again. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Stairway is one of the greatest songs ever written. I never get tired of it and never feel like changing it or skipping it when it comes on. I don't see it as overrated. I DO see the absurdity of naming it the greatest rock song ever because there can't be a single greatest rock song ever. But Stairway would make the list of possibles for sure.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the sign in the guitar store says it all.

no stairway.
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    never over rated- it is one the greatest songs of all time!!
  • mwachsman wrote:
    Overrated, no. The problem is that all other Zeppelin songs are underrated. They should be on the same level as Stairway. Even Hot Dog.

Hot Dog is good fun but I don't think it's quite on the level of anything on Zeppelin IV.

now Carouselambra on the other hand.......
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    yes

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    yosi wrote:

What an arrogant statement!

My friend, I've got all the albums - there are songs on each that arent' popular that I love - Presence has a couple of them, but to call a 7 song album with songs like Candy Store Rock on it, a great album is pushing it

Sorry if we disagree

By the way, Tea for one is a good tune, but it's basically Since I've Been Loving You handed to you in a different package
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Don't fly off the hook about this! Some of my friends and I were sitting around listening to Zep, and the song came on, and two of us actually agreed that it's a little overrated. If you take into context the other great songs they have that aren't actually acknowledged. You can stop anyone off the street who doesn't know shit about Zeppelin, but they'll tell tou S.t.H. is the greatest song ever. What does everyone think.
    it's zepp's most overrated song. not overrated generally though. achilles last stand, the rain song and over the hills are better in my opinion.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    The intro of Stairway to Heaven is originally from a band called 'Spirit', the song is called 'Taurus' and was made in 1968.
  • I don't know, LZ IV has sold like 27 million copies in the US, probably more than double that world wide. The pinnacle song on it is Stairway. Never released as a single.

The spirituality of the song is terrific for a rock song. The buildup and explosive finish to the song was unusual back then. Most songs were standard timings throughout. It was revolutionary in so many ways. The drumming, the flute, double neck guitar solos - Plant's voice and delivery. True rock anthem that everyone loved - country, blues, jazz, soul - people with all tastes were awed by STH.

What rock song out there is Stairway's true contemporaries?

Freebird? More than a Feeling? Born to Run? Kashmir? - notice that most debatable songs came after Stairway. I can't even think of other serious competition. Alive? Smells like Teen Spirit? Back in Black? Sunday Bloody Sunday? - not even close.

Plus don't forget that STH is 35 years old! It sounds so new and fresh still, unlike the Beatles, Elvis, etc.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Over played but underrated. The solo alone makes the song a classic. The structure of the song is unbelievable. A perfect song in every way.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • a little overrated in my opinion. i love the song, but there are so many Zep songs that are better than stairway.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    yosi wrote:
    I don't know, Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Tea for One, For Your Life. Those are all great songs.

They are, but it isn't.

Stairway is a truly great song, but its become so overplayed that its become a cliche. Sad.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430

What rock song out there is Stairway's true contemporaries?

Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Dick Jones wrote:
    This song doesn't do too much for me. I never put it on and always turn it when it comes on. Overrated, probably.

I'm losing touch with the old bands, why is that?

i am too. it's been a long time since i put on one of my led zep or creedence cd's...
  • cjc9cjc9 Posts: 5
    Some of you all take this way too seriously. It all boils down to personal preference. It is so subjective (art/music). I might love one thing and the rest of the world hates it but that's my choice. Stairway is a great song but way over played as LedZep has numerous songs that are incredible. It just gets tiresome hearing Rock n Roll and Stairway all the time.
    Caroline Caton
  • absolutely not overrated
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    like everyone said, it's just cliche. It's an amazing song and to me the birth of the ballad. Perfect song structure and delivery which goes to show how talented that band was as a whole. It's been played so many times that you may not like it as much, but listening to that song the first couple times blew my mind and got me into the rest of zeppelin's catalog.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    immigrant song
    when the levee breaks
    achilles last stand
    how many more times

to name a few , are way better than sth. yes, the song is overrated.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    The live version of Stairway on the Song Remains the Same double-live album is worth a listen and is better than the studio version, IMO. The live album also boasts a ~30min version of Dazed and Confused that is quite mind blowing.
  • What rock song out there is Stairway's true contemporaries?

A song by a man who was a million times more talented, and never made a penny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu9yKhZEYA
  • murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    maybe overplayed but not overrated
  • murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    sponger wrote:
    The live version of Stairway on the Song Remains the Same double-live album is worth a listen and is better than the studio version, IMO. The live album also boasts a ~30min version of Dazed and Confused that is quite mind blowing.

yes, that version of dazed and confused is so much better than the album version
  • I could be BIAS...BUT MY Fav band of all time is Led Zeppelin...I have a Zep tattoo and my dog is named "Zeppelin" BUT....Stairway...is overplayed maybe...but not overrated...It's a classic...I've heard the song like over a billion times but still is a classic.....Reminds me of the last song at a high school dance and I dance with a chick and make out with her....lol..Remember that Sarah , Erin, Tracey, Karen, Krista, Deedra..etc....!!...LOL...haha
    Master of Zen