Buying New CD: Velvet U. or Radiohead?

iAmNoKilleriAmNoKiller Posts: 25
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I'm really a Zep, Stones, Neil Young kinda guy, but I can't seem to stop hearing about both radiohead and velvet underground. I've always said I hate radiohead, but I honestly don't have any reason to hate them. So I'm going to the cd store after class in a few hours and need some input on whether to buy a radiohead cd (prob ok computer from everything people say) or Velvet Underground (prob Nico to start from the beginning). Whatcha think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Buy Radiohead.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Bends might be an easier album to start with from radiohead. I think it is a little more accesable. Wit hSongs like fake plastic trees, high and dry, and the bends.

They are both good bands. I do like Radiohead better.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    It's gotta be Radiohead. Just wait about a month and get the new album... (hopefully!) :D

But seriously The Bends is a great one to get into them with.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    It's gotta be Radiohead. Just wait about a month and get the new album... (hopefully!) :D

But seriously The Bends is a great one to get into them with.

We'll be lucky if it's only a month before we hear anything about the new album. I'm dying here.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • inthefleshintheflesh Posts: 170
    go with Radiohead
    was it?....
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I'm really a Zep, Stones, Neil Young kinda guy, but I can't seem to stop hearing about both radiohead and velvet underground. I've always said I hate radiohead, but I honestly don't have any reason to hate them. So I'm going to the cd store after class in a few hours and need some input on whether to buy a radiohead cd (prob ok computer from everything people say) or Velvet Underground (prob Nico to start from the beginning). Whatcha think?
    I say Radiohead, but start with The Bends. I started with OK Computer and didn't like it at all. Shelved it and recently brought it back out, still didn't like it....but it did spark interest in them so I bought The Bends. Much better. I liked it from the start. Everything about it. Then once again revisited OK Computer and "got" it. So start with The Bends.
  • Get the Bends and then Ok Computer and move from there.

Obviously if you choose V.U. get the s/t with nico and the banana on the cover.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I love Radiohead, especially OK Computer, but I'd say get the Velevet Underground first. They are just so important to everything labeled "alternative rock." And their songs are fucking great. Once you're familiar with the Velvets catalog, you should check out Lou Reed's live album, Rock n' Roll Animal. It's all Velvet Underground songs, but with more hard rock arrangements. The band on that album is just awesome.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    You should definitley go with The Velvet Underground. If you're going to buy a Radiohead album, start and end with "The Bends". All the rest of their albums, bar "Pablo Honey", are filled with boring songs that have annoying beeping noises in them.
  • i called a friend and he said he has vu and nico so to go for radiohead. the local hastings, which isn't big on selection, only had ok computer and kid a, so i went with ok. which reminds me some of pink floyd, which is a good thing to me. so thanks for the input, sorry no bends, but maybe next time.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    dark side of news of the world
  • Between The Bends and OK Computer, I've always liked The Bends more.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'd go with VU on this one. Start with the Velvet Underground and Nico. You can't go wrong there.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I agree, listen to the bends, and digest it for a bit.

But the first time you 'get' OK Computer is really something else (happened last night,after SEVERAL listens).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I'd say loaded if you are going to go with the VU it's pretty srtaightfoward but I like it. I got a best of for ten bucks to get into them but now I have the albums and loaded is clutch for newbies
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Get all of VU cds! I like Radiohead very much but VU...Now that you've got VU and Nico get yourself The Velvet Underground and Transformer (Lou Reed).
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Go with Radiohead OK Computer
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    well, i'm a massive RADIOHEAD fan, but

there's maybe 2 or 3 better studio recordings than

the velvet underground and nico ever recorded.

that album is just sublime from start to finish

fuck it if your friend has got it or not, trust me, you need that one. ok computer can wait
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • lazygun_99lazygun_99 Posts: 73
    Hmmmmm which of the two most massively overated bands in the world should I go with. Say it quietly but really you should just save your money. (or buy the bends)
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    i would say go with radiohead. ok computer to start. but given the musical tastes you stated i'm not sure you wouldn't prefer the velvet underground.

great help that, isn't it?!
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I didn't really get into O.K Computer right at first, but once you do, holy shit. It will forever be in my Top 5 albums of all time
    And before his first step... He's off again...
    lazygun_99 wrote:
    Hmmmmm which of the two most massively overated bands in the world should I go with. Say it quietly but really you should just save your money. (or buy the bends)

lol

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    The Bends is not even half as good as OK Computer. The former is a good acoustic based album, while the latter is a pure masterpiece. Just listen to the song Let Down.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Trailer wrote:
    The Bends is not even half as good as OK Computer. The former is a good acoustic based album, while the latter is a pure masterpiece. Just listen to the song Let Down.

couldn't agree more.

ok computer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the bends

but,

the velvet underground and nico >>> ok computer

• mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    The Velvet Underground inspired an actual revolution. Enough said.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli