Options

JFK to MSG

cheesesteak52cheesesteak52 Posts: 29
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Im flying into JFK for MSG II and just wanted to know if anyone could tell me how to get from JFK to MSG on the subway. Ive never been to NYC and really dont know how or if the subway system is complicated and really dont want to spend the majority of my day in NYC lost on the subway. Any help would be appreciated....thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Im flying into JFK for MSG II and just wanted to know if anyone could tell me how to get from JFK to MSG on the subway.

There are various shuttles and numerous buses,

but the main subway line running thru JFK - tthat will take you directly to MSG / Penn Station - is the A Line.
    Just hop on it ( Uptown - To Manhattan )
    It is brifly above the ground- otherwise known here as " The El "
    then it will go to maybe 4 or 5 more stops, before it descends underground and you will now be in Brooklyn.

youll be at The garden in approx 35- 45 minutes.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    PoorWiggumPoorWiggum Posts: 18
    Take the air train to Jamaica. Then take a LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station, which is directly below the Garden. Easy.

http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.
  • Options
    ronyrony Posts: 212
    PoorWiggum wrote:
    Take the air train to Jamaica. Then take a LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station, which is directly below the Garden. Easy.

http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/

quick question how much are tickets on the LIRR?

I was just going to get the E downtown but it looks like the LIRR is quicker.
  • Options
    It depends on the time and how you purchase it but between $5 and $12. IMHO, it is much easier than the subway.

http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

Buy it online or at the station. It is more expensive if you buy it on the train. One way to Penn.
  • Options
    CaptainCalli24CaptainCalli24 Queens, NY Posts: 326
    your better off taking a cab to msg from jfk its about a $20-25 cab ride...the train is a hastle form their
    Nassau 4/30/03
    Irving Plaza 5/5/06
    Continental 6/1/06 6/3/06
    Chicago 8/5/07
    Camden2 6/20/08
    MSG 6/24/08 6/25/08
    Beacon Theatre 7/1/08
    Philly 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    Hartford 5/15/10
    Newark 5/18/10
    MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10
    Alpine Valley 9/3/11, 9/3/12
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13
    Philly 10/21/13
    Hartford 10/25/13
    Seattle 12/6/13
    Colbert 9/23/15
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philly 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    MSG 5/1/16, 5/2/16
    Fenway 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/2/18, 8/4/18
    Asbury Park 9/18/21
    Apollo 9/10/22
    Chicago 9/5/23,9/7/23
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    Take A Cab

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    Flat fare for a cab from JFK to Manhattan is $45 plus tolls and tip. People are coming from across the country and the world for this show. Please give accurate information.
  • Options
    NotoriousIMPNotoriousIMP Posts: 141
    easiest thing to do is cab it. There are dozens outside the arrival terminals.
    96' Randalls island II
    98' NJ, MSG II
    00' Jones Beach I,II,III
    03' Nassau, MSG I, II
    05' Montreal, Ottawa, Borgata II
    06' NJ I, II
    08' Camden II, MSG II, Hartford, Beacon NY, Ed Ved NYC I
    09' Philly 4
    10' MSG I,II
    11' Ed Ved Hartford
    13' Chicago, Brooklyn II
    15' GCF NY
    16' Philly II, MSG I
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    easiest thing to do is cab it. There are dozens outside the arrival terminals.

It really depends on the cab line/time of day. I've come in on flights with friends and I almost always take the subway back in (E line) and have beaten them back to the city several times......just depends. If it's rush hour, it might take awhile to get a cab and get into the city.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    jchais01jchais01 Posts: 129
    As a New Yorker, I would NEVER take a cab from JFK into Manhattan. As someone else suggested, the easiest way to make this commute is Via the Air Train. Follow signs from your arrival terminal and take the Air Train to Jamaica Station. Then take LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) to Penn Station which is directly under MSG. The transition from Air Train to LIRR is very easy (I just did this coming back from the Florida shows). The whole thing should cost you $10 and trust me it will be a much quicker commute than taking a cab and sitting in traffic. Good Luck!!!
    "Delight in Our Youth"
  • Options
    basbas Posts: 16
    I'd have to agree that the best way is taking the air train and the LIRR, done it dozens of times, and PENN station is practically underneath the garden. I only take a cab if it's very late at night and have to go to work the next morning.
  • Options
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    Don't take the Subway (too long) or a cab (too expensive), take the JFK Airtrain to Jamaica Station and hop on the LIRR. The LIRR goes to Penn Station which is in the basement of Madison Square Garden.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    There are various shuttles and numerous buses,

but the main subway line running thru JFK - tthat will take you directly to MSG / Penn Station - is the A Line.
    then it will go to maybe 4 or 5 more stops, before it descends underground and you will now be in Brooklyn.

Doesn't he have to take the Air Train first? I guess there's signs though. The good thing is a subway ride is only $2.00. Econo!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Doesn't he have to take the Air Train first? I guess there's signs though. The good thing is a subway ride is only $2.00. Econo!

absolutely not.
    not mandatory
    air train is the new monorail that runs from JFK in the south, up parrallelling the Van Wyck Exwy, all the way up to the LIRR Station / Terminal at Jamaica in the North . This is where all the transfers take place.

The A Line Train ( to Manhattan ) is at JFK, and is the direct train into Penn Station/ MSG . No transfers, and like you pointed out, only 2.00 $ and between 30-45 minutes.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/aline.htm
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    MelissaphishMelissaphish Posts: 150
    I am doing the same thing, and after much research I decided on the Airtrain>LIRR route. It is cheap and looks easy enough and probably WAY faster than a cab with traffic and all......
    Boston Garden 5/25/06
    Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Madison Square Garden 6/24/08 and 6/25/08
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The answers are fatal......
  • Options
    NYCslackerNYCslacker Posts: 54
    Bathgate66 wrote:

The E train to midtown is generally much faster than the A through Brooklyn. Take the AirTrain from JFK towards Jamaica and follow the signs to either the subway (E to Manhattan) or you can also take the LIRR as others have said.
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    i vote air train to jamaica, then LIRR to penn station.