Yeah Yeah Yeahs

iAmNoKilleriAmNoKiller Posts: 25
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Anybody else into this band?! I've been listening to Fever to Tell, which I know is one of their older records, but wow! I've never gotten into bands with female lead singers, but for some reason she does it for me! Is their newest cd as good as Fever?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I like their first one better, but "Show Your Bones" ain't bad. I'll be checking them out at Lolla.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Anybody else into this band?! I've been listening to Fever to Tell, which I know is one of their older records, but wow! I've never gotten into bands with female lead singers, but for some reason she does it for me! Is their newest cd as good as Fever?

you have to own show your bones. get it.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • pjayfanpjayfan Posts: 14
    they played on an INHD (High Def channel) concert and she had to be probably the worst singer I've ever heard in my life. The guitarist is very innovative and the recordings are great, but she sounds absolutely nothing like the recordings.
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    Fever is the only album of theirs that I own, but for a few months it didn't leave my truck (where I listen to most of my music). They're one of those bands that I really dig, but just kinda forgot about. I'm gonna have to bring that disc back out for a while...
  • RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    If you enjoy 'Fever To Tell' check out their new e.p. 'Is Is', it was recorded between Fever and 'Show Your Bones', but just released (or soon to be released). I d/l'ed a leak a few weeks back, and it's great, great, great. It rocks like Fever, and has the songwriting of Bones. Keep an eye out for it, it kicks ass.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • I prefer Fever To Tell. Its more rocking and fresh than Show Your Bones. The songwriting on Show is good and all, but the delivery is weaker IMO. They cleaned up their sound too much and it feels like it was all restrained a little too much.

A similar band I just discovered has a great album out thats similar to Fever To Tell. The Noisettes - Whats the Time Mr. Wolf? Great album. Check it out.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    Also like Fever better. More raw. Saw them live in a small venue for the Fever tour. High energy. Karen gets nasty with the mic.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i like this band. they've got some great tunes. but i preferred their earlier stuff
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • pjayfan wrote:
    they played on an INHD (High Def channel) concert and she had to be probably the worst singer I've ever heard in my life. The guitarist is very innovative and the recordings are great, but she sounds absolutely nothing like the recordings.
    What are you talking about?

Firstly, why does it matter if she matches the recordings? She's great live.

Secondly, she actually does kind of do that well. Dunno who you were listening too.

Anyway, "Show Your Bones" was fantastic. Looking forward to their next release..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    i've heard gold lion, down boy, and maps. i liked the first two.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    tried to listen to them

she's irritating IHMO

major pass on them at lolla
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I love them...especially Fever to Tell, but I like Show Your Bones, too. It took me a little while to get into that one, though. They are great live.
  • i LOVE them! I tried to catch them playing with Sonic Youth last year in Brooklyn but couldn't go :(

Y Control is still my favorite song

I love both albums but I like Show Your Bones a little bit better
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mdigenakis wrote:
    i've heard gold lion, down boy, and maps. i liked the first two.
    You don't like 'maps'? :confused:

"Make our day"
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    yyy are one of my favorite bands. i think syb is better than fft. its not as loud or as anything but syb really shows a gaint step in song writing. karen's lyrics really take off there.

i just got my ticket for their philly show. this will be the 3rd time ive seen them then. karen has always sounded good when i saw them and i have over 30 bootleggs of there shows which most are good too. karen does the live shows with more energy and less focus hitting notes so their are some songs that always fall short, art star being one for sure. but like turn into she does real well live. so you cant really just listen to them live, they have to be watched. kinda like eddie and forgetting lyrics. if youre not a fan youll just be thinking what a clown cant even remember half the lyrics to any of the songs.
  • yyy are one of my favorite bands. i think syb is better than fft. its not as loud or as anything but syb really shows a gaint step in song writing. karen's lyrics really take off there.
    Finally someone says what I've been saying since the blasted thing came out.

"Make our day"
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Show Your Bones is pretty good. I've listened to it alot. And I love Karen live, she is fucking wild.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • pjayfanpjayfan Posts: 14
    What are you talking about?

Firstly, why does it matter if she matches the recordings? She's great live.

Secondly, she actually does kind of do that well. Dunno who you were listening too.

Anyway, "Show Your Bones" was fantastic. Looking forward to their next release..

So what your saying is that if a studio albums is great, you don't care if the vocalist sounds like utter shit live? That's okay with you? it's not a matter of the live vocals not matching the studio version. Its a matter of the studio cut sounding like a person who can hold a tune, vs an eight year old that was given a karaoke machine to dance around with and scream into.

But that is just MY opinion and you obviously feel otherwise

It is my personal opinion that a band should be able to replicate it's songs at least somewhat accurately live, otherwise they are just a product of studio mastering. I complimented the guitarist as being innovative and I also complimented the studio recordings and song writing. I however have to defer to my own ears on the vocals. It was a HD concert broadcast in 5.1 surround and in High definition. I've got a pretty good home theater so the sound I was hearing is probably pretty true to accurate and based on what I heard it was not good.

that doesn't mean that all the rest of you shouldn't love them, after all to each their own.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    One of the best bands to emerge since 2000. They're definitely my favorite discovery in the past 3 years or so. Hilarious when people dismiss their music as "simple" or "dumbed down"...the artistry that goes into their sound and story is incredible.

I have seen them live too, and she is definitely off-key sometimes. But I don't notice it too much because the energy of their show kind of takes over everything else.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    I prefer Fever To Tell. Its more rocking and fresh than Show Your Bones. The songwriting on Show is good and all, but the delivery is weaker IMO. They cleaned up their sound too much and it feels like it was all restrained a little too much.

A similar band I just discovered has a great album out thats similar to Fever To Tell. The Noisettes - Whats the Time Mr. Wolf? Great album. Check it out.

YES The Noisettes are cooooool. Very good suggestion.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222

same here, i listen to more bands with male singers, so i really like the fact that i like this band and front person is female.
    I prefer their first album to the second Show your bones, cause Fever to tell had more energy to it. but both albums are good
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    who else picked up is is today? im now more excited to see them next month.