Options

Trying to expand my musical horizons...

2»

Comments

• Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    gotta give up some love for the eels!

always loved p.s. you rocked my world!--also like 3-speed and can't remember the others right now--only had that one cd--didn't that have novacaine and my beloved little monster(or something like that?)

Hell Yeah!!
    p.s you rocked my world and 3 speed were electro-shock blues, novocaine for the soul and my beloved monster were from beautiful freak

be sure to check out fresh feeling from souljacker, it'll make you cry
    Her?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I miss Dinosaur Jr :(

i'm going to see them tonight.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Phyuck YuPhyuck Yu Posts: 12
    umm bands i am listen to now are:

Modest Mouse
    Arcade Fire
    Wolf Parade
    Pixies
    Blind Melon
    Radiohead
    Pink Floyd
    "If God takes life, he's an Indian giver"
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    lumpyfred wrote:
    Hell Yeah!!
    p.s you rocked my world and 3 speed were electro-shock blues, novocaine for the soul and my beloved monster were from beautiful freak

be sure to check out fresh feeling from souljacker, it'll make you cry

fresh feeling from souljacker--will do ;) thank ya
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    no no, i love bad news so it's all good news to me :D

i was also just pointing out that just because a band is on a major label or very popular doesn't mean they're selling out...

Yeah, that selling out talk is bullshit 90% of the time anyway. I personally think that if bands make music that lots of people wanna have, it's ok for them to get some money out of it. I think selling out starts when you make music with the thought in mind to sell more of it. This selling out stuff came up after Isaac Brock gave "Gravity rides everything" to some car company that used it for a commercial. I got no problem with that. He was honest about it and said he wanted some financial flexibility and the song was already there, so he can't have written it with the intention of selling it. I think MM are one of the straightest bands out there, major label or not.

I can't wait for the selling out chants to start regarding PJ, single for free, aol sessions, music video, lots of promo: it won't be long and we'll hear it.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Well, if you are trying to expand your musical horizons, and not just listen to more rock bands, I suggest some

Electronic
    Dntel
    Boards Of Canada
    Squarepusher
    Venetian Snares
    Mum

Metal
    Cryptopsy
    Morbid Angel
    Blind Guardian
    Emperor
    At The Gates

Experimental
    Animal Collective
    Merzbow
    Sonic Youth/Jim O'Rourke
    Boris/ Sunn O)))
    Keiji Haino

Folk
    Elliot Smith
    Nick Drake
    Shugo Tokumaru (exprimental folk)
    Chrisitne Fellows
    Tenhi

Some pop and rock, I guess
    Built To Spill
    Pavement
    The Mountain Goats
    Matthew Good
    Pixies

Thanks for The Mountain Goats suggestion...great stuff.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Doney4Sure wrote:
    Listening to Kings of Leon a lot right now...love The Tragically Hip, Pearl Jam...anyone have any recommendations for me?

Fuck being all deep and experimental and cultural.

Buy the first six KISS albums.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    Mr Bungle!!!! expands musical directions in all directions in awesome crazy weirdness with the best singer ever Mike Patton listen to Faith No More too while your at it
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • Options
    Well I guess it depends on wot your into other than PJ but you could try the following:

Placebo
    Funeral for a friend
    Bullet for my valentine
    Fall out boy
    The used
    Maximo Park
    The all american rejects
    Live
    Killers
    I could go on and on and on...
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Try some jazz on for size. A lot of your musical heroes listen to jazz, and it becomes very apparent the more you listen to jazz :)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue or Bitches Brew
    John Coltrane - Anything by Coltrane is just fine by me, but Giant Steps is a great starting point
    Charlie Parker
    Cannonball Adderley
    MJQ
    Herbie Hancock
    Thelonius Monk - his quartet featuring John Coltrane live at Carnegie is one of the best jazz records I have ever heard.
    Stanley Clarke
  • Options
    The Avett Brothers.
    Any album you can get a hold of.
    If you have rhapsody, that's the way to go.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Yeah, that selling out talk is bullshit 90% of the time anyway. I personally think that if bands make music that lots of people wanna have, it's ok for them to get some money out of it. I think selling out starts when you make music with the thought in mind to sell more of it. This selling out stuff came up after Isaac Brock gave "Gravity rides everything" to some car company that used it for a commercial. I got no problem with that. He was honest about it and said he wanted some financial flexibility and the song was already there, so he can't have written it with the intention of selling it. I think MM are one of the straightest bands out there, major label or not.

I can't wait for the selling out chants to start regarding PJ, single for free, aol sessions, music video, lots of promo: it won't be long and we'll hear it.

I knew the name for quit some time and I only recently done something with that fact.

I absolutetly love them.

I don't know of any selling out stuff.

But their music don't sound like they go out of their way to please

I agree with your vision on being commercial.

You have an Idea make the music and then see if any likes it.
    Not the other way around.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    Phyuck YuPhyuck Yu Posts: 12
    I dont see how ya can say their "Sell Outs"??? I think Modest Mouse is are the shit... Im not the greatest fan of "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" but "The Moon & Antarctica" & "The Lonesome Crowded West" are both awsome!

They put on a wicket show live too...
    "If God takes life, he's an Indian giver"
  • Options
    Phyuck Yu wrote:
    I dont see how ya can say their "Sell Outs"??? I think Modest Mouse is are the shit... Im not the greatest fan of "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" but "The Moon & Antarctica" & "The Lonesome Crowded West" are both awsome!

They put on a wicket show live too...

This selling out stuff came up because they gave one of their songs away for a commercial and Good news is pretty condensed and has a more poppy sound. At least that's what those people say, I disagree and I dont think they have financial gain in mind when making their music. But if it comes out of it one cant and shouldnt blame them.
  • Options
    I knew the name for quit some time and I only recently done something with that fact.

I absolutetly love them.

I don't know of any selling out stuff.

But their music don't sound like they go out of their way to please

I agree with your vision on being commercial.

You have an Idea make the music and then see if any likes it.
    Not the other way around.

Yeah, money can come out of art, but art shouldnt come from money.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Idiot Pilot
    Yeah Yeah Yeah's
    The Crimea
    Fu Manchu

I have started listening to idiot pilot, think they are really cool. I listen to lot of different music, always PJ, but also other rock/indie, dance and electronica stuff. All the songs ive heard by idiot pilot are so uplifting and rocky but hardly hear anything about them in the UK.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv Gbv
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    I would have to agree with the Jazz suggestions. Great stuff. The 1st one I started off with was Bitches Brew....and an amazing album. Plus...if you want anything else I would recommend any of these people...

Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Thelonious Monk
    Max Roach

and if want something new( though even he would advise to start with the Masters)

Richard Elliot.....I like the guy a lot...buy Ricochet and start from there
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Dalek. It's rap and I know you might not be into rap...but I can't stand most rap and I love this Dalek. Good stuff I promise you.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Sigur Ros - I love this band, so chilled out and quite different from anything i usually listen to. Their playing at a festival im going to in the summer, never seen them before but they are great. The myspace only has a couple songs but check them out.

http://www.myspace.com/sigurros
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Metal ~ Slayer, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Emperor, Darkthrone, 1349
    Jazz ~ Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Winton Marsalis
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    oh man 1349 is a pretty killer band. I second that rec. for sure
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");