Gin Blossoms

jack_bass_playerjack_bass_player Posts: 1,126
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Okay so me and my friend were scouting around on Wikipedia for some bands that were mentioned with some of our favourites, that we had never heard of.

So we checked out Gin Blossoms - they're pretty good IMO. Their strength seems to be realllllllllllllllly catchy tunes! Like I can never get "Hey Jealousy" out of my head at the moment, I would say that is my favourite tune of theirs.

Any fans on here? I think I might get the new album, see what it's like...

:)
2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
2007 - London
2009 - London, Manchester, London
2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
2011 - Alpine Valley x2
2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yer...catchy as hell...hey jelousy is mint

the thing with gin blossoms i find is they are brilliant and have some awesome songs but they are also pretty gay to like.......like a 90's version of my chemical romance or somethin (without the crapness)

their new single is cool, dunno bout the rest of the album though
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • that's the thing - me and my mate who listen to them both agree that they are catchy but a bit gay!

but who cares i like them and i'm not a gay!! :D
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Gin blossoms album with hey jealousy and all the other radio songs was good. Very poppy etc but a cool album i bust out from time to time.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    Yeah, Miserable New Experience was a great album front to back. Can't really speak on the other stuff. Listening to Hey Jealousy instantly takes me back to my buddy's Dodge Shadow and all the drunken hijinks we got into in high school. Back in the day (until I saw PJ), one of my fave shows of all time was a Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, and Cracker tour. I remember a quote addressing the catchi-ness of their songs. The singer was unapologetic, saying something akin to "People give us crap for writing catchy, poppy tunes. Well, that's all we know how to do, so deal with it."

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • haha, they just played my town at Ribfest and I went to check them out. It was average but they have mastered the catchy power pop rock formula.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    I like 'em. The new CD is good, too. They're kind of a guilty-pleasure band for me. They write great catchy pop tunes.

I've seen them twice in concert, both in the last 5 years. I missed them in the 90's. They were good both times. I was hoping to catch them on tour for the new CD but I think I missed them when they came around.

If you want to give them a listen, purchase a copy of New Miserable Experience. It's better than the 'best of' and more popular.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Ott wrote:
    Yeah, Miserable New Experience was a great album front to back. Can't really speak on the other stuff. Listening to Hey Jealousy instantly takes me back to my buddy's Dodge Shadow and all the drunken hijinks we got into in high school. Back in the day (until I saw PJ), one of my fave shows of all time was a Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, and Cracker tour. I remember a quote addressing the catchi-ness of their songs. The singer was unapologetic, saying something akin to "People give us crap for writing catchy, poppy tunes. Well, that's all we know how to do, so deal with it."

Ott

THAT'S who was on that tour! my buddy and i were talking about it the other day cos we'd both wanted to go at the time but it didn't pan out. im partial to the spin doctors myself :)
  • jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    THAT'S who was on that tour! my buddy and i were talking about it the other day cos we'd both wanted to go at the time but it didn't pan out. im partial to the spin doctors myself :)

It was Seven Mary Three, Sponge, Spin Doctors, and Gin Blossoms. I think they called it "New World Disorder", or something like that. It was a great show.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,135
    New Miserable Experience was the third or fourth CD I bought after buying my first stereo. When I wanted something different from the grunge that I always played, I would listen to them. They did write really catchy pop songs. My favorite song from them was Follow You Down. Just thinking about that song has it stuck in my head. In retrospect, I think they got a lot of that flak because of how they dressed. They looked like they should be playing stuff like Smells Like Teen Spirit or Even Flow, instead of looking like a pop band and dressing like Sugar Ray or some other similar band.
  • OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
    The new album is a really strong record...I am suprised. More pop than rock at times but still very good.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i like them, new miserable expierience is a great album. . .definitely a guilty pleasure. . .new album is ok
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    we just saw them in concert for the first time in a semi small venue in October.
    their lead guitarist jesse valenzuela is great. they are alot of fun.

i need to post my pics. have not put in photobucket yet :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I just listened to New Miserable Experience this morning! The Gin Blossoms were the first band I considered to be my "favorite" back in middle school. I dumped them soon after in favor of some band called Pearl Jam, but I like to throw NME or Congratulations I'm Sorry on every so often. They really did make great pop rock songs. Nothing wrong with that. My only complaint is that on those two records, for all the really great songs there are a few super cheesy mistakes. I mean, I get that "Cheatin'" wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but that's just not the way to END a great record!

I'm tempted to buy the newish album just because I know my 13 year old self once thought they'd be my favorite band until the end of time. Maybe some day.
  • that new album is horrible. i could barely make it though.

"until i hear it from you" is a great tune.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    this band is as old as dirt right?

today I actually heard hey jealousy and it totally made my day for some reason. Made me happy.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • New Miserable Experience is just inarguably a fantastic record.

Congratulations I'm Sorry had its moments.

The new one sucks.

They are pretty good live though.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    damn I just looked up when they're playing by me..on 4/21 but it's at a college...and the college doesn't evne have them up on their event calendar. Bah.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    New Miserable Experience is one of my favorite albums from the 90's. Like another poster said, it's good from front to back. Their following album had three or four great songs and the rest were mediocre at best. Their newest album just doesn't do it much for me. Whatever edge they once had they've totally lost. I once read somewhere that they were the first "adult alternative" band, whatever that means. Definitely get NME.
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    "Follow You Down" is on constant rotation in my iPod. Love that song.
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    yeah, i always enjoyed NME. Solid album. Very catchy and pop with good hooks. Gotta say Alison Road and the opener are my favs. from NME though.
    Live Free or Die!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a fantastic singles band. i need to get some!
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Dusted is a good album as well.

But yea, they are kinda gay-ish.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    It's all about not only numb, that song rules,
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I remember back in middle school, I was addicted to New Miserable Experience. Listened to it practically everyday b/c it was such a GREAT album at the time. :D

I agree. Their songs are definitely catchy. They had such great songs on that album, allison road, until I fall away and Hey Jealously. I can't much about the new album since I don't have it.

I know most of the songs on that album was written by their founder/songwriter/guitarist, Doug Hopkins, but sadly he died and didn't get to see the success of this album :(

hmmm, now I am wondering what ever happened to my New Miserable Experience cd...I wonder if one of my brothers has it.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Great Band!!! It's just too bad that they have been lowered to the level of playing my hometown...no decent bands play in Springfield, Ohio...but at least Gin Blossoms did!!! And yes, they put on a great show
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Sorry but... bleah!!!!!

I worked in a music store when that "Miserable Experience" album came out and I swore if I heard "Jealousy", or "Found Out About You", one more time I was going to go poastal. Too poppy!

The album was definitely a "New Miserable Experience" for me.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."