Dinosaur Jr.

jack_bass_playerjack_bass_player Posts: 1,126
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I think they're awesome.

My fave songs would have to be Out There, Start Choppin', What Else Is New, and of course Freak Scene.

J Mascis is an EXTREMELY underrated guitarist IMO. Any other big fans out there?
2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
2007 - London
2009 - London, Manchester, London
2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
2011 - Alpine Valley x2
2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    another d jr. fan here. i have to agree that J is one of the more underrated guitarists of our times. i really liked how the original lineup jelled. it was unbelievable to see the original lineup last year (or the year before...my memory sucks donkey balls) w/ J, Lou and Murph. great band.
    Live Free or Die!
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I have read a few articles on them. What kind of sound have they? Are they are any good?
  • they are awesome, fada, definitely worth checking out. personally, i would recommend the albums "where you been" and "without a sound" but u gotta hear the song "freak scene" from the "bug" album.
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • yeah, if you like Dinosaur you need to check out their 1st 3 albums. You're Living All Over Me probably is the best album. Distortion at 11 with great melodies. Pop shit. kewl shit.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm a big fan. I love J's sound his solo's are face melting :D

I think my fav albums are
    you're living all over me
    where ya been
    green mind

My favorite song is Alone.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 3sheets wrote:
    another d jr. fan here. i have to agree that J is one of the more underrated guitarists of our times. i really liked how the original lineup jelled. it was unbelievable to see the original lineup last year (or the year before...my memory sucks donkey balls) w/ J, Lou and Murph. great band.

Hell yeah! I missed seeing them at the beginning of the reunion tour in Orlando, but luckily they made it around my way earlier this year.

Now if only Lou Barlow and Eric Gaffney can make nice, maybe we'll see a "classic" lineup Sebadoh reunion.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    my fave song could be flying cloud.

;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • kdpjam wrote:
    my fave song could be flying cloud.

;)

Flying Cloud is awesome, and it mixes really well with Three Fish's Laced, if you ever feel like making a mix cd with it on.;)
    J's solo work is awesome as well as with The Fog check out http://www.freesofree.net for loads of boots, Sebadoh as well.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • You're Living All Over Me and Where You Been are two of my favorite rock albums of all time. Mascis is one my favorite guitarists. I saw them on the Hand It Over tour. It was LOUD, and J was on fire on guitar. I missed the reunited original lineup last summer for a friend's wedding. I'm still annoyed by that.
  • Dinosaur Jr. rocks!
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • YLAOM is one of my top ten favorite records of all time.

it also has my favorite guitar playing of all time. J Mascis is the man.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    J Mascis plays guitar on the new Lemonheads coming out later this month. The first track I heard is outstanding.

I personally like the Dinosaur Jr. albums starting with Green Mind and later. His earlier stuff was just a little too garagey, not enough melody, that kind of thing. I saw the original guys play recently and they basically played only their early stuff. I didn't enjoy myself.

That being said, Dinosaur Jr. is still one of my all time favorite bands. Just go to Amazon and start in chronological order from Green Mind forward. You won't be disappointed. He also has three or four solo albums and they are all good.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    just got into them.... never thought I'd get into them but they are really really good. One of the better bands from the late 80's/early 90's.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • gabers wrote:

I personally like the Dinosaur Jr. albums starting with Green Mind and later. His earlier stuff was just a little too garagey, not enough melody, that kind of thing. I saw the original guys play recently and they basically played only their early stuff. I didn't enjoy myself.

thats a strange opinion. I personally LOVE their early stuff up through Where You Been. There's tons of melodies on YLAOM and the early records. howbout:

Freak Scene
    In a Jar
    Tarpit
    Just Like Heaven
    Repulsion
    Take the Glove

I could go on and on. That was the beauty of Dino Jr's early records, the melody underneath the noise.

I saw them last december, front row, right in front of mascis. i'd say in my top 3 favorite concert experiences. they were LOUD.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    they are great. after PJ, they put on the best show I"ve ever seen. all the songs off the "Whatever's Cool With Me" single are classic. "I know you're out there" and "don't think so" are 2 of my other favorites.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    gabers wrote:
    J Mascis plays guitar on the new Lemonheads coming out later this month. The first track I heard is outstanding.

That is cool -- Isn't Mascis from Mass or NH too?
    gabers wrote:

That being said, Dinosaur Jr. is still one of my all time favorite bands. Just go to Amazon and start in chronological order from Green Mind forward. You won't be disappointed. He also has three or four solo albums and they are all good.

Interesting take on things. I feel that everything from Green Mind and forward isn't really Dino Jr. -- more like J. solo w/ another band. Don't get me wrong I like the stuff...but Dino was J., Lou, and Murph! Their early stuff is so definitive of a truly great era in indie rock. Just listen to The Lung from 'You're Living...' the bass lines hold everything down so sweet -- like freaking Motorhead or something... So original. YLAOM is a top 5 from the 1980's for me. They were so unique from the other cool stuff going on back then. I think the garagey stuff is their most melodic. I like WYB, and WaS a lot too -- they remind me more of other things, though (a lot of Neil Young influence).

Everyone loves J., and that's cool -- I'll bet he was/is into metal...

If you're into vinyl, take a pass on the recent reissues of the early Dino stuff. Bad pressings. They do not sound las nice as the original releases. The Rhino reissues of Green Mind and Where You Been are pretty good though. Last of all, check the Mascis solo CD called Free So Free -- it is GREAT!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    don't forget to check out J in Witch as well.
    Live Free or Die!
  • because dinosaur jr are great. :)
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've been waiting for the DVD release date for over a year! Plus a new album :)

Having reunited last year with its original lineup for the first time since 1989, Dinosaur Jr. is nearly finished with a new studio album, Billboard.com can reveal. Guitarist J. Mascis, bassist Lou Barlow and drummer Murph tracked the as-yet-untitled set at Mascis' home studio in Amherst, Mass., and are eyeing a spring 2007 release on a label to be announced.

Tracks earmarked to appear on the disc include "By the Fire," "This Is All I Came To Do," "Back to Your Heart" and "Stop." Mascis is in the process of finalizing guitar and vocal parts at present.

"We spent the better part of two years touring together, so we might as well make a record together," Barlow tells Billboard.com. "The reunion thing went well, considering we held up and enjoyed it. The new album is just a way of extending it. The band pretty much does one thing at a time. I thought we'd be done after the tour, but then the album magically popped up. We probably won't do anything else, but then again, we'll see."

Barlow says the sound of the new tracks is simpler, but with the definite feel of Dinosaur Jr.'s trademark sound. "Dinosaur is something where the sound just propels us," Barlow says. "It's an energy source unto itself. The minute we started playing together, it was like, 'Oh, there it is.' It didn't surprise me though, since I've always believed in the quality of J.'s material."

The band isn't concerned with living up to the standards of its earlier work, according to Barlow. Instead, Dinosaur Jr. will go right back on the road after the album drops.

"Before we knew what we were doing, I thought, 'F*ck, we're going to get crucified,'" he admits. "In the end, though, one thing I've learned from touring with J. is that he has a devoted following of fans. I think, at some point, those people that do love your music become the most important. When you're younger, it seems like you're more interested in people you haven't tapped into. But at this point, nothing people can write about us can shock or surprise or disappoint me."

Also in the works is a Dinosaur Jr. live DVD, due May 8, 2007. Directed by Mascis' brother-in-law, Phillip Virus, the release will include live performance footage from the first half of the reunion tour, including shows in New York and Boston.

"I haven't seen it, but I'm kind of terrified because I hate live DVDs," Barlowsays. "Looking at us playing these old songs, that runs a distant second to seeing us when we were really young and f*cked up and struggling. Some really shaky, old video -- I'd rather see that. Seeing us older and more confident and paunchier... I mean, we play the songs well, but so what?"

Dinosaur Jr. is also dealing with the theft of a trailer full of its gear, which went missing in Long Island City, N.Y. Nothing has been recovered, but Barlow says the band has been too busy to dwell on the unfortunate turn of events.

"There's going to be one major heist in your career and it's going to be a bummer, so you have to be prepared for it," he says. "J. had insurance on everything. He took the biggest hit, since he lost all this gear he was comfortable with. But he immediately put himself to the task of getting new sh*t. He didn't let it get in his way, even though his stuff was worth thousands of dollars. I just lost a bass."
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    cool. :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~