Mission: Metallica teaser

KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yikes, could that video be any further up the bands arse? I know it's supposed to promote the album but jesus, tone it down a bit.
  • it definitely sounds like Metallica

good for them i guess
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • jack_bass_playerjack_bass_player Posts: 1,126
    metallica is probably my joint favourite band with PJ. can't wait for this new record. little previews sound awesome.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    What are you people talking about, previews, teasers, all those songs on that clip are old aren't they?

I don't remember hearing anything new anyway.
    This album is almost guaranteed to blow.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I don't really care how many albums they've sold or how many Grammys they have.
  • Sheesh some of you act like James and Lars put that video together themselves?

It was done by a marketing department hired to promote the new album, and what better way to do that then to remind everyone how big Metallica is.

The guitar riff starting at the 2:15 point approx sounded pretty killer. Nothing at all like St. Anger.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    This album is almost guaranteed to blow.

Nice to see you have an open mind about something you haven't even heard yet.
    Nice to see you have an open mind about something you haven't even heard yet.
    I said almost. That allows a small window of hope that they might shock me. Really though, they have produced nothing of worth for 17 years. It's a very small chance of seeing light in a very dark tunnel.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • new album is gonna be great, gonna be even better if kirk plays some solos without the fuckin wah pedal for a change, I love metallica, and i even like st.anger, new songs sound pretty sweet from what iv heard so far, cant believe how people jump to conclusions on how the new album is gonna be shit
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I said almost. That allows a small window of hope that they might shock me. Really though, they have produced nothing of worth for 17 years. It's a very small chance of seeing light in a very dark tunnel.

I just love how people want their favourite artists to be utterly devoid of imagination and change. Lock em in, keep em where thay are, just keep churning out more and more of the same thing for decades.
    So MOP was great, OK, we get it, get over it already.
    Me, I'm happy for artists to evolve, change, take risks, grow up even.
    If you want brilliance, you have to have a few trainwrecks along the way. Not that I've noticed a trainwreck, AJFA was the closest to that, being weird, introspective and self-indulgent, but brilliant at the same time, which saved it.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i have hopes for this album that metallica will kick some ass again. whether it does or not, im going to see them if they come to van. love seein them live.

its got to be good this time!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Man I miss Jason, I hope this album works. They need to rebound after St. Elsewhere.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    nice to see a Metallica clip sans the tears.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    they have produced nothing of worth for 17 years.

Very, very true.

Metallica are a joke these days.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Hang it up Metallica.
    I just love how people want their favourite artists to be utterly devoid of imagination and change. Lock em in, keep em where thay are, just keep churning out more and more of the same thing for decades.
    So MOP was great, OK, we get it, get over it already.
    Me, I'm happy for artists to evolve, change, take risks, grow up even.
    If you want brilliance, you have to have a few trainwrecks along the way. Not that I've noticed a trainwreck, AJFA was the closest to that, being weird, introspective and self-indulgent, but brilliant at the same time, which saved it.
    Firstly, Metallica are NOT one of my favourite artists. Secondly, I never said anything about locking them in stopping them from changing. Change is only worthwhile if it's for the better. When a band peaked in 1984 (yes, I think Ride the Lightning is far better than MOP) and is still making albums, maybe a little less evolution into mediocrity would be a good thing. AJFA was the beginning of the end but at least it had One and Blackened. St. Anger is a joke. Firstly, the drums are nigh on unlistenable. Lars is no drum god, he doesn't need shitty sound making things worse. He sounds like he's banging on dustbin lids, the vocals are mixed FAR too high for James' voice, he's hardly Caruso, Kirk's sole reason for being in the band was his lead playing, he never even played a rhythm part until the Black Album, so WHY excise his only real function on St Anger? And wait, you want your artists to grow up? Well we're lucky James' lyrics have matured to stuff like "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" then aren't we? :rolleyes: All I am saying is, that album was terrible and merely a continuation of the downward spiral they started long before. I am not saying that the new album IS going to be shit, I'm just going to be very surprised if it's not. But hey, I like surprises :)
  • The new riffs are sounding pretty cool; not too sure about the lyrics though.
  • LaFoursLaFours Posts: 42
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

How do define worth? By the #'s.. Load 5x plat, Reload 3x plat, S&M 5x plat, St. Anger 2x plat.
    5 grammys in that time, 1 AMA award, 3 billbaord awards including a diamond certification

And forget about momentous shows in those 17 yrs. Monsters of Rock Moscow 91 one of the biggest in rock and the festivals history 1.6 million in attendance. Woodstock 94/99. Headlining their own summer festivals.
    They also took down the biggest file sharing(thievery) operations at the time in 2000. So don't tell me they have done nothing of worth.
    The sacrosanct P.J. has barely squeaked by those #'s with 16 million sold. And they've had more albums in that time. So talk to me when THEY do something of worth, it's only been what 17 yrs. since they've been in double digits in sales.

Worth.....what the hell does that even mean, they are worth alot to the millions of fans out there that listen to them and go to their shows...same as your favorite band.
    RehabDoll wrote:
    How do define worth? By the #'s.. Load 5x plat, Reload 3x plat, S&M 5x plat, St. Anger 2x plat.
    5 grammys in that time, 1 AMA award, 3 billbaord awards including a diamond certification

And forget about momentous shows in those 17 yrs. Monsters of Rock Moscow 91 one of the biggest in rock and the festivals history 1.6 million in attendance. Woodstock 94/99. Headlining their own summer festivals.
    They also took down the biggest file sharing(thievery) operations at the time in 2000. So don't tell me they have done nothing of worth.
    The sacrosanct P.J. has barely squeaked by those #'s with 16 million sold. And they've had more albums in that time. So talk to me when THEY do something of worth, it's only been what 17 yrs. since they've been in double digits in sales.

Worth.....what the hell does that even mean, they are worth alot to the millions of fans out there that listen to them and go to their shows...same as your favorite band.

Well done, what you've said here is of worth. :) I think what some maybe saying is that some of their last albums wasn't up to Metallica standards of the past. I didn't like St. Anger but I still bought it because it was Metallica. I can say the very same thing about Pearl Jam I most certainly didn't like their last album and it certainly wasn't up to their standards of the past. I still bought it because it was PJ but I didn't like it.

Metallica ain't hurting they have fans ALL over the world, they're are still at the top as far as Heavy Metal music worldwide. Something like U2 and their countless fans worldwide and when you're on top they're many haters that are sure to follow.

So let's hope this next album is of worth and if it isn't I'LL be the first to come on here and say so.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Firstly, Metallica are NOT one of my favourite artists. Secondly, I never said anything about locking them in stopping them from changing. Change is only worthwhile if it's for the better. When a band peaked in 1984 (yes, I think Ride the Lightning is far better than MOP) and is still making albums, maybe a little less evolution into mediocrity would be a good thing. AJFA was the beginning of the end but at least it had One and Blackened. St. Anger is a joke. Firstly, the drums are nigh on unlistenable. Lars is no drum god, he doesn't need shitty sound making things worse. He sounds like he's banging on dustbin lids, the vocals are mixed FAR too high for James' voice, he's hardly Caruso, Kirk's sole reason for being in the band was his lead playing, he never even played a rhythm part until the Black Album, so WHY excise his only real function on St Anger? And wait, you want your artists to grow up? Well we're lucky James' lyrics have matured to stuff like "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" then aren't we? :rolleyes: All I am saying is, that album was terrible and merely a continuation of the downward spiral they started long before. I am not saying that the new album IS going to be shit, I'm just going to be very surprised if it's not. But hey, I like surprises :)

NIce focus on St Anger, which I agree is their weakest effort. That's a loong way from 17 yrs ago though.
    St Anger is a direct result of trying to appease all the old-school Load haters though.
    I really only need to say two words though, a man's name, who thought they were good enough to collaborate with. I can't be stuffed arguing with poeple who don't like them, as you clearly don't, but want to come in and rag on them

Michael Kamen

Nuff said !!
  • NIce focus on St Anger, which I agree is their weakest effort. That's a loong way from 17 yrs ago though.
    St Anger is a direct result of trying to appease all the old-school Load haters though.
    I really only need to say two words though, a man's name, who thought they were good enough to collaborate with. I can't be stuffed arguing with poeple who don't like them, as you clearly don't, but want to come in and rag on them

Michael Kamen

Nuff said !!

S&M is the best thing they've done in those 17 years though.

That still looks weird, even when you know it's the album name. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    NIce focus on St Anger, which I agree is their weakest effort. That's a loong way from 17 yrs ago though.

Michael Kamen

Nuff said !!
    Oh jeez... Michael Kamen brought about the worst of all the bad Metallica albums. S&M sounds like a metal band covering Bond themes in the worst way. I DO like Metallica, or rather I like Metallica pre-1988. I just can't see them doing anything new or interesting because they haven't for nearly 2 decades. I'm a realist. If you don't like that, fucking hell, sorry.
    S&M is the best thing they've done in those 17 years though.

That still looks weird, even when you know it's the album name. :p

I probably agree with that, mainly because it is so good and a phenomenal achievement. Not many bands with the music or the chops to do that kind of thing.
    I really like Garage Inc, and Load especially, as well as Reload.
    The Loads are much more musically complex and interesting than KEA and RTL for example, though I'm not dissing those either.
    Really, I dunno what people expected them to do.
    Problem is, they have such a massive global fan base, covering all demographics, that every single thing they do is gonna piss a lot of people, while pleasing just as many.
  • I probably agree with that, mainly because it is so good and a phenomenal achievement. Not many bands with the music or the chops to do that kind of thing.
    I really like Garage Inc, and Load especially, as well as Reload.
    The Loads are much more musically complex and interesting than KEA and RTL for example, though I'm not dissing those either.
    Really, I dunno what people expected them to do.
    Problem is, they have such a massive global fan base, covering all demographics, that every single thing they do is gonna piss a lot of people, while pleasing just as many.

'Cept for St. Anger, which was pissed on from all angles. ;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh jeez... Michael Kamen brought about the worst of all the bad Metallica albums. S&M sounds like a metal band covering Bond themes in the worst way. I DO like Metallica, or rather I like Metallica pre-1988. I just can't see them doing anything new or interesting because they haven't for nearly 2 decades. I'm a realist. If you don't like that, fucking hell, sorry.

That's funny I never really listened S&M until the other day in Florida. I was going through my girlfriend's collection and shocked to find out she had some Metallica stuff and I played one of theirs I didn't recognized.

I was on this board while it played and I had to stop cause I had to find out what in hell I was listening to. It was S&M and I must say it's way better than I thought, in fact I liked it.

It took some guts to try a concept like that, it maybe cheezy to some but i thought it was cool especially since I've never realy heard it before. I gather when you're at the top of the heap this band is willing to take a chance/experiment with all kinds of formulas in music. Like I said before they're a worldwide phenomenon in HM and with that they will be realist like you who may have a different opinion.

I also liked the Load albums though not great but they were some outstanding songs on those albums like *Hero Of The Day*.

Man I love that song no matter what format or orchestra is backing it up. Rock on!

Peace

• dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    ===mmmegggggaaaadddddeeeetttthhhh===
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980

I don't think worth should ever be defined by how many albums they have sold. I'm sure everyones heard this before, but popularity doesen't mean quality.

And that thing with Napster showed Metallica in a really bad light, IMO. Yes, it's wrong. But shit, didn't Rage Against The Machine release a whole instrumental album for free when they found out their fans were being targeted for Napster?

I like Metallica (can't wait to see them at Leeds festival), and I'll keep an open mind for this record. But I haven't enjoyed any of their recent records at all, and I don't care if they've gone platinum or diamond or whaever.