edited May 2008 in Other Music
Coldplay - Violet Hill

sounds a bit lennonish/70's
but
it's
still
simply
fuckin' fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
Eddie: Dublin & London
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    Awful.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I really like it.
    Cock Fight.
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    it always feels so forced with them now. their first two records are solid front to back. the last one. ugh. 75% was shite.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i love this song

check out the title track, also pretty different
    its mainly strings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEN5vpW9OLg
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I heard the song for the very first time in my car on Saturday; had no idea that it was Coldplay, all the while that I was digging it; thought to my horror that it might be Coldplay towards the end of the song (the piano and falsetto vocals finally registered); then I thought how much this very different song rocked even though I don't even like Coldplay and this song just might make me like them after all.

And then the DJ confirmed that it was, indeed, Coldplay.

Strong song and very anti-Coldplay. Which I guess is why I like it so.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    one can download it from their website http://www.coldplay.com for absolutely free...this week I guess! I DO like the new sound of theirs (btw I love all their efforts since the beginning), they are still the best indie pop music around!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    If you're in the UK and can get your hands on this weeks NME, it comes with a free 7" vinyl of this song. Just got back from Asda and they must have had 20 or 30 still on the shelf.
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    I don't mind the song :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • they're playing msg for free the day before the two pearl jam shows. i'm entered in the draw to get tickets
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Same here. They just announced the first leg of their tour as well.
  • I'm not sure about it, sounds like something Oasis might do. Not a bad thing by no means, just to me it sounds like "be here now" era oasis.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    hobbes wrote:
    it always feels so forced with them now. their first two records are solid front to back. the last one. ugh. 75% was shite.

Agree 100%...they are trying way too hard. They aren't fit to experiment too much, their best stuff is based on simplicity and good melodies (the first two albums). I think they feel the pressure to do something different and they churn out absolute shit like the new song. Its a horrible song, its not even mediocre. This is the worst I've heard from them yet, seriously is as bad as anything Nickelback has ever done. I used to like these guys.
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    Igottago wrote:
    Agree 100%...they are trying way too hard. They aren't fit to experiment too much, their best stuff is based on simplicity and good melodies (the first two albums). I think they feel the pressure to do something different and they churn out absolute shit like the new song. Its a horrible song, its not even mediocre. This is the worst I've heard from them yet, seriously is as bad as anything Nickelback has ever done. I used to like these guys.

These guys are in an impossible spot. They're not talented enough to completely change directions with a (No Code/ Kid A) type album. I thought A Rush Of Blood To The Head was one of the best albums of this decade. But they tried to get cute with the last one and lost a lot of what made them good. Now it looks like they're going even further in that direction. On the other hand if they wrote another Rush Of Blood type album we would call them sellouts and they would take heat in that way. Their first two records are a simple, fun listen with great melodies. They just don't have the depth to move past what they were.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    lastexit78 wrote:
    These guys are in an impossible spot. They're not talented enough to completely change directions with a (No Code/ Kid A) type album. I thought A Rush Of Blood To The Head was one of the best albums of this decade. But they tried to get cute with the last one and lost a lot of what made them good. Now it looks like they're going even further in that direction. On the other hand if they wrote another Rush Of Blood type album we would call them sellouts and they would take heat in that way. Their first two records are a simple, fun listen with great melodies. They just don't have the depth to move past what they were.

Yeah thats totally it...I completely see the same thing happening with them. Coldplay are a good pop band, but they have nowhere near the ability to be a U2 or Radiohead or Pearl Jam level band that defines an era..yet the media built them up to be such an important band in the modern age, and now they are trying to live up to that. They are about the same level as a band like Travis, whose career is pretty much where it should be nowadays. Coldplay are a one trick pony, and thats not a bad thing. They never should've been destined for greatness, because, really, they are not great. They are (were) good. Thats about it. They should just carry on making simple records and letting their popularity and critical acclaim do what it may, because what they're doing now is damaging any good they've done in the past.
    Personally I'm digging the song. It's not their usual insipid and sweetness and light and it's left of their banal norm.

I guess in the long run I'm not overly concerned with Coldplay's place in musical history, their reputation or whether or not they're the next U2 (because they're not); Coldplay's not that important to me. But "Violet Hill" sounds like they're trying to challenge themselves and good for them for going there. It won't make me their newest fan but I appreciate tunes that stimulate me no matter where/who they come from.

Good job, Coldplay. Carry on.

FaceSpace
  • i don't really understand why people hate coldplay so much. they're definitely not my all time favourite band, but i do enjoy listening to them. i always hear people saying that they're trying too hard to be like radiohead but i don't buy that criticism. first of all, there are all kinds of differences between them, and second of all, I can't think of any bands that don't have a similar sound to someone else.
    I think that any "hate", or in my case extreme indifference, towards Coldplay is mainly due to the fact that their music is overwhelmingly pale and boring.

Other than that I'm sure that they're very nice guys.

FaceSpace
  • MikeLammi23MikeLammi23 Posts: 109
    hobbes wrote:
    Agreed 100%
    10c #TBD

"They said timing was everything, made him want to be everywhere,...there's a lot to be said for nowhere."
    "Let them wash away,... all those yesterdays."

09/10/98, 08/23/00, 08/24/00, 08/25/00, 04/30/03, 07/09/03, 07/14/03, 06/01/06, 06/03/06, 06/24/08, 06/25/08
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    dharma69 wrote:
    I think that any "hate", or in my case extreme indifference, towards Coldplay is mainly due to the fact that their music is overwhelmingly pale and boring.

Other than that I'm sure that they're very nice guys.

They always reminded me of Radiohead wannabees (at least Chris Martin has) & I think that turned me off to them from the get-go. A few songs are decent ( I like "yellow" I think it's called...), but to me, it all sounds the same...

just my opinion...
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)