Seeing Foo Fighters Friday!

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited October 2007 in Other Music
So, I'm going to see Foo Fighters on Friday in Charlotte. HiFi Handgrenades opening (no idea who they are). Anybody seen them on this tour? Any good t-shirts? How about posters? I'd really like a decent poster but don't know if they even do them. How are they live? Any thoughts? I know it's a bunch of questions so I'll stop here. Thanks for any input.
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    adam42381 wrote:
    So, I'm going to see Foo Fighters on Friday in Charlotte. HiFi Handgrenades opening (no idea who they are). Anybody seen them on this tour? Any good t-shirts? How about posters? I'd really like a decent poster but don't know if they even do them. How are they live? Any thoughts? I know it's a bunch of questions so I'll stop here. Thanks for any input.

you are in for a great show! The Foo fighters are in my top list of bands to see live each time they roll through. Their energy is incredible and Dave is a pretty funny guy when he starts talking about whats on his mind.

I honestly don't know about posters, didn't see any on the IYH tour with Weezer.
    Some people complain that they only play about 16 songs, but in reality that's about a normal set length for alot of bands. Pearl jam has spoiled us, no doubt about it.
    The foos are worth every penny. Seen them twice, several years apart and I hope, I hope they come to Texas on this next tour cause I love the new album.

They don't change their setlists a whole lot so each city gets the same great set most of the time. They play alot of new stuff (for the album they are promoting, but also throw in the majority of the radio goodies too. They pretty much abandon their first self titled album sadly. They may play one song off of it, but that's pretty much it. I wish they'd play more off that album,
    I'd love to hear a review when you get back, please post one.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'll definitely try to post a review on Saturday. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Take earplugs. Seriously, they are LOUD. I haven't seen them this tour, so maybe it's different, I don't know. But I saw them when they toured with Weezer last year or the year before. Weezer played at a regular loud rockshow level a la Pearl Jam and everybody else. Then the Foos came on and it literally hurt my ears to listen to them. They were great, fantastic, but really, REALLY LOUD.
    I can also second the earplugs! I ALWAYS wear them at shows regardless because I have some high frequency damage in both ears from blaring my headphones as a little kid). So yeah, if a band is playing live my ears are sensitive, but YES, the Foos are exceptionally loud especially in an indoor arena, cause I've only seen them at amphitheaters with lawn seats both times and it was extremely loud even with the plugs, so I know Indoor arenas would be even louder.
    Good info on the earplugs. I'll definitely try to look into that. Any suggestions on where to get them on short notice and how much decent ones cost? I don't want to miss out on the music so how do they work exactly? Don't they just make it quieter and harder to hear?
    adam42381 wrote:
    Good info on the earplugs. I'll definitely try to look into that. Any suggestions on where to get them on short notice and how much decent ones cost? I don't want to miss out on the music so how do they work exactly? Don't they just make it quieter and harder to hear?

To me, earplugs dampen the music to where you can hear it at a normal level. The plugs also drown out alot of the feedback from the instrument distortion too. The lyrics and speaking is alot clearer too I've noticed.

I bought a special pair from a music shop and they were $15. Those were rubber spiral shaped and just more professional looking but really ALL earplugs work. Yo can get a pack of foam plugs at Target walmart, the grocery store, and maybe even the arena itself (I did for ZZ top last year).
    I've used cotton and toilet paper too, and that works well too.
    But it's always a good idea to protect your hearing from live shows. I wear them when I turn on the distortion for my bass guitar, or mow the yard too.
    As you can tell, I'm paranoid about my ears and damaging them further.
    Great show! They played a great mix of songs. I'll Stick Around was the only thing off their self-titled album. Highlights for me were Stacked Actors (with Dave going into the crowd and playing some Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever intro before finishing the song) and Everlong into Monkey Wrench was great toward the end. Great energy and Dave was his usual funny self. Also, Pat Smear played guitar on about half the songs. Definitely recommend seeing them. Dave said they'd be back in town in the spring. Good times.

EDIT: Sorry the review was later than expected...and I forgot the earplugs...VERY LOUD!

Setlist:
    Let It Die
    The Pretender
    Times Like These
    Cheer Up Boys (Your Makeup is Running)
    I’ll Stick Around
    Long Road to Ruin
    Breakout
    Learn to Fly
    The One
    Stacked Actors
    Skin and Bones (acoustic)
    Miracle (acoustic)
    My Hero (acoustic)
    The Colour and the Shape (acoustic)
    Everlong
    Monkey Wrench
    All My Life

Encore
    Aurora
    But Honestly (acoustic)
    Best of You
    Man, that setlist looks awesome! I am hoping they come to Texas next year. I'm suprised they don't play Texas more often since Taylor is from Dallas. Good to know they are still playing "the one" that song rocks. I think it would be cool to hear my hero acoustic. Stacked actors live is incredible! That's cool they are playing "skin and bones" too. Nice catchy little song.

Thanks for the review!
    red mos wrote:
    Man, that setlist looks awesome! I am hoping they come to Texas next year. I'm suprised they don't play Texas more often since Taylor is from Dallas. Good to know they are still playing "the one" that song rocks. I think it would be cool to hear my hero acoustic. Stacked actors live is incredible! That's cool they are playing "skin and bones" too. Nice catchy little song.

Thanks for the review!
    My Hero was great acoustic but I still prefer it electric. Stacked Actors never jumped out at me before I heard it live a couple years ago. Now it's one of the highlights. Skin and Bones is a good tune. Hopefully you'll get a chance to catch them down there in Texas sometime soon.
    The nice thing about the Foo Fighters... you don't have to see them 10 times per tour. The Setlist is pretty much set so once per tour is great.
    that doesn't mean they are bad to see live... they are GREAT!!! I would even go as far as to say they are one of the best live acts out there today.
    Think about it like this... you can save your money and buy that many more Pearl Jam tickets.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Is Pat Smear back in the band permenantly, or is he just like a touring member now? I'm sure this is answered on their message pit like this, but I'm too lazy to log in and look. :D:o
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    red mos wrote:
    Is Pat Smear back in the band permenantly, or is he just like a touring member now? I'm sure this is answered on their message pit like this, but I'm too lazy to log in and look. :D:o
    Pat Smear, Rami Jaffee (Wallflowers), Drew Hester (percussion) and Jessie (violin and cello) make of the Super-Sized portion of the Foos. They come on and do some songs... and leave the stage when it's the stock parts Foos.
    It makes for a nice little switch up and combines their big Foo Rock Show with their Intimate Acoustic show.
    The only thing i'd like to see is Pat remaining onstage for the old time songs, such as 'I'll Stick Around', 'For All the Cows', 'Monkey wrench', 'Weenie Beanie ' and 'This Is A Call'... that additional guitar sounds really great up there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • adam42381 wrote:
    Great show! They played a great mix of songs. I'll Stick Around was the only thing off their self-titled album. Highlights for me were Stacked Actors (with Dave going into the crowd and playing some Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever intro before finishing the song) and Everlong into Monkey Wrench was great toward the end. Great energy and Dave was his usual funny self. Also, Pat Smear played guitar on about half the songs. Definitely recommend seeing them. Dave said they'd be back in town in the spring. Good times.

EDIT: Sorry the review was later than expected...and I forgot the earplugs...VERY LOUD!

Setlist:
    Let It Die
    The Pretender
    Times Like These
    I’ll Stick Around
    Long Road to Ruin
    Breakout
    Learn to Fly
    The One
    Stacked Actors
    Miracle (acoustic)
    My Hero (acoustic)
    Everlong
    Monkey Wrench
    All My Life

Encore
    Aurora
    But Honestly (acoustic)
    Best of You

They played The Colour and the Shape?
    Jack Bauer wrote:
    They played The Colour and the Shape?
    I got the setlist off another website so I'm not sure. I really don't remember hearing it. Strange that it would have been acoustic. I had a good buzz going so I'm really not sure. I remember every song but that one being played so there's a good chance it wasn't.
    Setlist Update: Instead of The Colour and The Shape they actually played See You. Just thought I'd clear that up.
    Here's a recording I found. Quality isn't soundboard but it's still pretty decent.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46776

The download is in FLAC. If you want, you can always take an extra step to convert it down to mp3.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/08/14/how-to-convert-flac-files-to-mp3-using-windows/
    Well, I know it's a bit late, but I've finally uploaded the videos I took at the show. They're not great quality since they were taken with a digital camera but it is what it is. Most aren't complete songs. Also, I was too busy rocking out to Monkey Wrench and Stacked Actors to get anything. Here ya go:

See You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj6p1tWzXhQ
    I'll Stick Around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1zG-YU5Pk
    My Hero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMv7BecBqRs
    Times Like These: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2R8zF-dPKc
    Everlong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpt5JDniCUM
    Best of You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kaBDt4hJuY
    Let It Die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV43IKxTGq8
    adam42381 wrote:

Setlist:
    Let It Die
    The Pretender
    Times Like These
    I’ll Stick Around
    Long Road to Ruin
    Breakout
    Learn to Fly
    The One
    Stacked Actors
    Miracle (acoustic)
    My Hero (acoustic)
    Everlong
    Monkey Wrench
    All My Life

Encore
    Aurora
    But Honestly (acoustic)
    Best of You
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The Foos are very hit and miss live. I've seen them 3 times. First was mediocre, 2nd was fucking brilliant, and the third was absolute shit. Good thing you got a good one.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me