Explosions in the Sky

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited September 2007 in Other Music
These guys are opening for the Smashing Pumpkins so I'll be seeing them on November 8th in Greensboro. I want to give them a listen and would like to know where to start and get you guys' opinion of them. Are they worth listening to? Thanks.
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• Definately worth listening to.

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is a masterpiece.

the songs First Breath After A Coma gives me chills.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    yup, get the above selection. a must listen actually.

I am wondering how many people will leave that show thinking the opening band was better than the headliner.

should be a great show though.
  • Absolutely amazing, some of the best music my ears have head
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    are these guys heavy? like, Pelican heavy or 5ive heavy? or is it more like Mogwai?
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    are these guys heavy? like, Pelican heavy or 5ive heavy? or is it more like Mogwai?
    mogwai-ish, but more emotive. and the beautiful parts are FAR more beautiful than mogwai
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    meh, Mogwai bores me after a while. i downloaded a song by Caspian -due to a suggestion from this board- and loved it. any similarities?
  • meh, Mogwai bores me after a while. i downloaded a song by Caspian -due to a suggestion from this board- and loved it. any similarities?

Yes, there are similarities but not as many as some people like to assume

I prefer Caspian. More dynamic, more ballsy, much better live show as well.

They're doing a midwest tour now of smaller venues. If they visit your town i can't recommend catching it enough.

Oh and for EITS, check out the song "Greet Death". Thats the one that first got me hooked on the whole instrumental scene (which is amazing in my mind)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Would anybody else classify them as classical rock?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I love this band, I have all their CDs.....I saw them once at the mercury lounge in nyc.......I wanted to see them the last time they played in NYC but I had to work...next time- I'm playing hookie...maybe I'll go check out the pumpkins....:)
  • hey wait a second i just checked their website (yes they are in my favorites file:)) and these shows are not yet listed....where did you get such news....?
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    I saw them play the main stage at coachella and they rocked.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • Dick Jones wrote:
    Definately worth listening to.

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is a masterpiece.

the songs First Breath After A Coma gives me chills.

I can only agree.

I have seen them live on two occasions and both were very very good. I reckon you'll find that they'll out play the Pumpkins quite easily. Great musicians
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    hahah explosions outplay the pumpkins hahaha good one.

don't even get me wrong. i have several of their albums and have seen them live...but jimmy chamberlain alone can put on a better show.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • hey wait a second i just checked their website (yes they are in my favorites file:)) and these shows are not yet listed....where did you get such news....?

if you're talking to me i meant Caspian not EITS
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    if you're talking to me i meant Caspian not EITS
    what's Caspian's website?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    how do these guys compare to sigur ros? i get the sense it's a similar style.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    explosions have more traditional sounding instrumentation/technique, with no singing whatsoever. they use multiple guitarists complementing each other well, sometimes w/o a bass at all. i feel like sigur sounds more air-y than them? probably because of the bowed guitar technique jonsi uses while explosions utilize more typical sounding guitar licks. relatively similar though i guess. both have really beautiful moments on their albums just different.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • what's Caspian's website?

http://www.myspace.com/caspiantheband

for tour dates and more updated info

or

http://www.caspianmusic.net