The Nightwatchman

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anybody listening to the new album, One Man Revolution, by the Nightwatchman (Tom Morello)? I've read good things about it but haven't gotten the chance to get it yet. Any thoughts on whether it's worth picking up? I know it's just Tom Morello playing acoustic and singing. It's gotten decent reviews so far. Just thought I'd see what you guys thought of it...
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• i like it, its very Cash, Steve Earle, Dylan and Leonard Cohen influenced.

I saw an interview with Tom, and he was talking about how he hopes this music reaches people and that people act on the message, that what he really aims for in making this record, he would be arrested for telling people to do.

Definitely cool that he is still a raging Marxist even after all these years.

I think it goes without saying this album isnt filled with sappy love songs about girlfriends. It has songs about war, oppression, rage, and politics. We wouldnt expect any less from tom
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    My local store sold out (they only ordered 3 copies, idiots :rolleyes:), so I ordered it from Amazon, it should be here tomorrow. I've heard a couple songs of his here and there, and I've liked them.

Seeing him open for Ben Harper in June too, I can't wait!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Just downloaded it. I'll give it a listen later.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    I went to the Jimmy Kimmel show last week.

He played two songs.

The songs are alright, the dude just can't sing.
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

• gotz id wrote:
    I went to the Jimmy Kimmel show last week.

He played two songs.

The songs are alright, the dude just can't sing.

I know what you mean, but the guys he is patterning himself after Cash and Dylan aint singers in the classical sense as well.

Plus I think as I said, he isnt trying to win American idol or be seen as having a great voice. He hasnt sung in the past after all. I think the point of the album and of Nightwatchman in general, is that he aims to get people off the couch and off their seats and out rioting. I really think thats the stated goal of the project. To get people active and protesting.

As I said, Tom suggested that what people do with the songs and what they mean, is up to them, but that he wanted people doing something.

I mean when he says in a song "yeah i support my army, they wear black masks and rock black flags" where he basically is voicing support to black bloc anarchists, you can sort of surmise he doesnt give a damn if this hits Number one on Billboard. He wants people to take the music and start the revolution
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    hey man, i picked up the cd and think it's great. Like the last poster said, he isn't trying to win American Idol because he isn't a great singer, but f*ck, look at Cash, Dylan, and Neil Young, not the greatest singers but still thought of as some of the greatest artist ever. I'd download it 1st if i was you and check it out, and if you are a rage fan, or at all against the current political situation, i think you will absolutly love the message on this cd. I'd give this cd probably a 3.5-4/5, also if you haven't picked up the new Patti Smith cd, that cd is easily a 5/5 and should be bought by everybody.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i read where tom said basically he knows he may be preaching to the converted, but the converted need a kick up the arse. :D:D
    he said he can't believe that given what is going on in the US and around the world that the streets aren't filled with barricades or that the white house isn't ringed with torches and pitchforks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    he said he can't believe that given what is going on in the US and around the world that the streets aren't filled with barricades or that the white house isn't ringed with torches and pitchforks.

Bush would just declare war on them.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    oops. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Bush would just declare war on them.

no doubt. but thanks to the second amendment they'd be packing something more than pitchforks i'm sure. cause let's face it the current administration is an enemy certainly not foreign but definitely domestic. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say