Seven Mary Three

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Anybody else really like these guys? I've seen them in concert twice: once at Cattle Annie's in Lynchburg, VA in 2003 and at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC in 2005. They have great energy onstage and the crowd was really into the shows. I truly believe that American Standard was one of the top 20 or so albums of the 90's. Am I the only 7M3 fan around these parts?
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Huge 7m3 fan, but the halls around here usually have an empty echo when I bring them up. One of the most under-rated bands of the 90s. Hands down.

I've got every record - and I put Jason ross up there with any of my favorite lyricists.

I think I've seen them 3 times - and they never failed to please... really great rock band...
    In fact...I posted this a few months ago... in an old thread that is still kicking around the archives.... I forgot that Darthvedder thinks they are the biggest PJ rip offs ever...

Here's what i posted:

Say what you want, but I put Jason Ross' lyrics next to any other major songwriter from the 90s and see them as being equal and in most (not all) cases, better.

American Standard was sooo big - and then they kinda started doing their own thing with Rock Crown - but they have not made a single weak album (Economy of Sound is the closest thing to a weak album, but even it has highlights).

If I were to make a Seven Mary Three starter kit, so that people could see the excellent work this band does, it would be as follows:

Where are you Calling From Tonight
    Made to be Broken
    Don't Walk With the Devil
    Peel
    Joliet
    SouthWestern State
    Lucky
    Rock Crown
    What Angry Blue
    Oven
    Cumbersome (because it's what people know)
    Roderigo
    My My
    Anything
    Favorite Dog

I would dare anyone to sit down, listen to this grouping of songs a few times over, and then say "no, these guys aren't good"...

IMHO, easily, the most underrated band of the 90s and today.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm really digging that list there. I'd throw in Water's Edge (which I almost crapped myself upon hearing on the radio last week (99X)). I really don't see them as a PJ ripoff at all. The only album that I own is American Standard but I've heard the other stuff played live and like everything I've heard. If you have some more stuff for me to check out, PM me. Thanks in advance.
    I've always liked Cumbersome and Lucky, but that's all I've really heard from them. 7 Mary 3 has always been one of those bands that I've wanted to give a try but never have. Maybe one day I'll finally get an album.
    I've always liked Cumbersome and Lucky, but that's all I've really heard from them. 7 Mary 3 has always been one of those bands that I've wanted to give a try but never have. Maybe one day I'll finally get an album.
    Do yourself a favor and grab American Standard. Excellent top to bottom.
    If you get a chance to catch them at a club near you, do yourself a favor and go see em live. I took my brother and some friends last summer and my bro said it was the best live show he'd ever seen. He's not a big rock fan like myself but he was highly impressed nonetheless.

http://www.7m3.com/tour.html
    Nobody else likes this band at all?
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    I LOVE 7M3! this is the first time i`ve seen a thread for them! ...

American Standard is one of the 20-25 best albums (imo) of the 90`s. And the #1 in the list of uderrated albums/bands.
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
    GhostChile wrote:
    I LOVE 7M3! this is the first time i`ve seen a thread for them! ...

American Standard is one of the 20-25 best albums (imo) of the 90`s. And the #1 in the list of uderrated albums/bands.

Agreed....
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i like them a lot, they're great live.
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    I REALLY LOVE THESE GUYS! I have every CD and have seen them live twice - yes american standard put them on the map but they have so much more to offer. I must admit Jason's deep lyrics really put alot of feel into their music. These guys got me through college and helped me appreciate a great band that many people don't know much about.
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • dont like cumbersome or their early stuff, but i dig the new stuff.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    dont like cumbersome or their early stuff, but i dig the new stuff.

Very rare that you hear that - a welcome take on things.

I love the whole catalog for different reasons...
  • satans_bedsatans_bed Posts: 430
    not a big fan, but i like some of their songs.
    "i forgot the words...."
    Just came across the video for Water's Edge on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TkIPjsEGBgw

I found a link to a 7M3 video I never knew existed the other day... Make Up Your Mind... weird video and strange choice for a single off of a great little album (Rock Crown)
    NakedClown wrote:
    Those old videos are hilarious to watch... Water's Edge is a creepy video...

I found a link to a 7M3 video I never knew existed the other day... Make Up Your Mind... weird video and strange choice for a single off of a great little album (Rock Crown)
    I've seen the video as well. I don't really care for that particular song too much.
    love 7M3

american standard was the second cd i ever bought..... first cd ever?... Vs.!!!
  • totally agree. 7M3 rock! i bought American Standard years ago and i hadn't even heard any of their stuff. Never heard of them comin to Ireland but i'd def go... top band

Rock Crown is genius too
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • Glad to see some other 7M3 love.

Their albums Orange Avenue and Dis/Location are also worth picking up. If there is a "low point", it's the album Economy of Sound... but still not a bad album either...
  • they suck !
    Corporate Rock at their biggest. Just a major label puppet. There's better music besides the music that appears/appeared on MTV kids.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • i love them! i've only gotten to see them once, and it was an opening slot on a mb20 tour, but they had tons of energy. i have all their albums (except american standard, which i have an old taped copy of), and agree that they are hugely underrated. i think rockcrown is a masterpiece... i can never skip a single song on it. i think the low point for them is dis/location though, but maybe just because i didn't listen to it as much. i actually really like economy of sound....
  • underrated ?
    Billy Childish is fucking underrated not this 11th generation of CCR
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
    mark arm wrote:
    they suck !
    Corporate Rock at their biggest. Just a major label puppet. There's better music besides the music that appears/appeared on MTV kids.
    I wouldn't label them corporate rock in any sense. They play very small clubs and venues. Maybe you should actually look at what corporate rock means. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_rock

Do 7M3 resemble any of the stuff there? I think not. It's ok not to like them. It's not as if they are even remotely popular these days. Just don't mislabel them.
    they suck !

Yeah, I'm not saying you're wrong, but - at least - you are misinformed.

Just like your beloved Mark Arm, these guys have (and some of them had even during their success) day jobs that got them through the rough patches. Their biggest hit, American Standard, was not released by a "major" label (If I remember right, Atlantic only hopped on board to help Mammoth after some songs began to take off...)... and subsequent albums have not had commercial or critical success BUT they have maintained a loyal fanbase through touring and playing smaller venues.

So - with all due respect - you are wrong...

EDIT: AND!!! 7M3 was hardly a MTV staple... hardly... while I know it's trendy for music snobs to bash certain bands, it certainly should not be held against a band that they had 2.5 massive hits (Lucky was marginally successful as a single)...
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Oh sure I like them just fine.
  • mammoth is a subsidiary from Atlantic. Same story
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Did not know that...
  • yeah, but that's fine, I was just being a little of an ass ;)
    Tastes are tastes
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires