New Sigur Ros Album in the Works

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited January 2007 in Other Music
According to Pitchfork:

Sigur Rós are recording their full-length follow-up to 2005's Takk, according to an update on the band's website. And though bass player Georg Holm writes that the Icelandic musicians "don't know exactly where the album is heading yet," we suspect that their patented formula of epic, orchestral rock might just be too tough to resist. Not that we're complaining, though.

Holm writes, "We have finished recording a few songs but some more things need to be done... We are really just experimenting at this stage. Some of the songs we recorded are old songs, which we had written a while ago... We decided it was time they were recorded." The band expect to finish recording the record this year, and though "nothing is confirmed at this point," there is the possibility of a 2007 release.

Sigur Rós will play two U.S. shows in February. As previously reported, the first is in Miami, where they will accompany a performance of Merce Cunningham's "Split Sides" dance piece. The second is at New York City's Carnegie Hall alongside Lou Reed, Philip Glass, Patti Smith, and Laurie Anderson for a Tibet House benefit. They "will most likely perform just one song" at the latter event. So, like, 15 minutes, then?

Sigur Rós affiliates Amiina have also scheduled U.S. dates beginning in March and continuing into April. Danish label Rumraket recently released the band's "Seoul" single digitally, and the coming weeks will see a vinyl release with a remix from Frakkur, Sigur Rós vocalist Jónsi Birgisson's solo project.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/40483/Sigur_R%C3%B3s_New_Album_in_the_Works
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• Awesome. I was wondering what they were up to. Thanks!
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    adam42381 wrote:
    Sigur Rós affiliates Amiina have also scheduled U.S. dates beginning in March and continuing into April. Danish label Rumraket recently released the band's "Seoul" single digitally, and the coming weeks will see a vinyl release with a remix from Frakkur, Sigur Rós vocalist Jónsi Birgisson's solo project.

What does Amiina sound like? Are they similar to Sigur Ros?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • This is good news indeed.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    im curious to hear it. i like them, but dont know if ill feel compelled to buy the new one. i love aegentis, but the difference between that and () is almost negligible. takk showed a little growth and variety, which is promising. these guys have so much potential, id hate to see them become a one-trick pony.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Awesome news. Takk is still an amazing album. Well, actually, all of the albums are.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Ive got Takk and (), both are pretty amazing. They were playing at a music festival i was at last year, really wanted to see them but ended up too wasted and forgot. Would love to see them live, heard its a great show.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.