Anybody remember the Nixons?

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I used to love this band back in the day. Two popular singles "Sister" and "Baton Rouge". Pretty good band back in the mid 90's. Anybody else remember them? Refresher:

Here I am again,
Overwhelming feelings
A thousand miles away
From your ocean home
Part of me is near

Thoughts of what we were invade
The miles that stand between
We can't separate
Your all I hoped you'd become

Sister I see you
Dancing on the stage
Of memory
Sister I miss you

Fleeting visits pass
Still they satisfy
Reminders of the next
Overshadow goodbye
Our flames burn as one

Sister I see you
Dancing on the stage
Of memory
Sister I miss you

All I am begins with you
Thoughts of hope understood
Half of me breathes in you
Thoughts of love remain true

Here we are again saying goodbye
Still we fall asleep underneath the same sky
You're all I knew you'd become

Sister I see you
Dancing on the stage
Of memory
Sister I miss you

Entwined, you and I
Our souls speak from across the miles
Intertwined, you and I
Our blood flows from the same inside
Half of me, breathes in you
Thoughts of love remain true

I see you, I feel you
When I close my eyes
I see walking there...
I see you dancing in my mind

Still some of the most beautiful lyrics ever IMO.
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• werent they the band Kurt Cobain had a sticker of, on his guitar
  • what were they called before they changed their name to the Nixons?
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I don't believe they had a different name other than the Nixons, did they? They formed in 1995 so the sticker on Kurdt's guitar must have been something different. Not sure what.
    I like bands.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    werent they the band Kurt Cobain had a sticker of, on his guitar

That was probably the Melvins. But definitely not the Nixons. Kurt was dead before they broke out. Sister was/is a great fucking song. Especially if you have one that lives far away. Check it out y'all.
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    The lead singer from The Nixons went on to do some solo shit. I saw him at a fucking dump of a bar in Tulsa with about 30 other people. It was rather depressing seeing this guy who absolutely represented the epitome of a "one-hit wonder". I still own the nixons album, though it gets very rare play time.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • I have a sticker of Kurt playign an acoustic on my laptop rightnow...............it says "Nixons"

take it for what its worth
  • LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    I loved the song as well as the whole cd, lost the disk years ago and have been unable to replace it. Anyone got a hint on where I can find it?
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    I loved the Nixons, all 4 albums they put out are great start to finish. I used to see them play a lot at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC.
    The lead singer Zac Maloy is doing some really great solo stuff. In some cases better than Nixons stuff. He has put out 2 full length albums and one EP. I had to order them from his website http://www.zacmaloy.com
    Give his new stuff an chance because it is really good. One song on his new record called "Used To" is along the lines of "Sister" back in the day. Comparable.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    adam42381 wrote:
    I don't believe they had a different name other than the Nixons, did they? They formed in 1995 so the sticker on Kurdt's guitar must have been something different. Not sure what.

Dude they were around as far back as 1990 playing here in Tx. They were much more of a punk band that the record company molded into a grunge lite type thing. Also Zak's new stuff is qute good, very singer songwriter type stuff though, so not the most original, but good.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

goto_l wrote:
    Dude they were around as far back as 1990 playing here in Tx. They were much more of a punk band that the record company molded into a grunge lite type thing. Also Zak's new stuff is qute good, very singer songwriter type stuff though, so not the most original, but good.

You are correct. I was wrong. I meant to say that their debut album, Foma, was released in 1995.
    LBC1076 wrote:
    I loved the song as well as the whole cd, lost the disk years ago and have been unable to replace it. Anyone got a hint on where I can find it?

You can get it here: http://www.secondspin.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=875323

or here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002OVE/qid=1143208617/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-5984721-8485424?v=glance&s=music

or here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Foma-The-Nixons-CD-2005_W0QQitemZ4855044383QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or probably a lot of other places.

Did you even look for it?
    I loved the Nixons, all 4 albums they put out are great start to finish. I used to see them play a lot at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC.
    The lead singer Zac Maloy is doing some really great solo stuff. In some cases better than Nixons stuff. He has put out 2 full length albums and one EP. I had to order them from his website http://www.zacmaloy.com
    Give his new stuff an chance because it is really good. One song on his new record called "Used To" is along the lines of "Sister" back in the day. Comparable.

I liked the 3 studio albums and the live/rarities album as well. Their music was always good, IMO. Latest Thing was a bit more pop-oriented but was still a solid album. I always liked the Elton John cover, "Rocket Man" off Scrapbook as well as the live versions of "Sad Sad Me" and "Happy Song".
    I have a sticker of Kurt playign an acoustic on my laptop rightnow...............it says "Nixons"

take it for what its worth

From what I've read online, it wasn't a Nixons sticker. The sticker either said "Nixon" or "Nixon Now" as in president Nixon. If you could upload your pic, that would be great.
    I still have a Nixons poster on my bedroom wall at my parents house!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    adam42381 wrote:

I looked a few years ago and that search got me no results, so I pretty much forgot about it until this thread. But hey thanks I appreciate your help brother.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Happy Song was a great tune.
    Just heard Sister and thought I'd revive the thread.