Options

Hum - Stars

adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Anybody remember this little gem from back in the day? I put iTunes on random shuffle and this started playing. Good stuff!

She thinks she missed the train to Mars, she's out back counting stars.

She's not at work, she's not at school,
she's not in bed, I think I finally broke her.
I bring her home everything I want, and nothing that she needs.

I thought she'd be there holding daisies, she always waits for me.

I found her out back sitting naked looking up and looking dead.
A crumpled yellow piece of paper, with seven nines and tens.

I thought you'd be there holding daisies, you always wait for me.
She thinks she missed the train to Mars, she's out back counting stars
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Hum was a really good band, I enjoyed the "You'd Prefer an Austronaut" record quite a bit and "Downward is Heavenward" is even better. I never got around to picking up their first one.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    yeah, I really dig this song. I am ashamed to say I have not heard anything else on the record or their sophemore release. Now that I have rhapsody, I'll probably check it out.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    We have thier albums and I have seen them live.
    Still like to play Hum on car trips and Ive burnt the albums for a few friends.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    adam42381 wrote:
    Anybody remember this little gem from back in the day? I put iTunes on random shuffle and this started playing. Good stuff!

She's not at work, she's not at school,
    she's not in bed, I think I finally broke her.
    I bring her home everything I want, and nothing that she needs.

I found her out back sitting naked looking up and looking dead.
    A crumpled yellow piece of paper, with seven nines and tens.

I thought you'd be there holding daisies, you always wait for me.
    She thinks she missed the train to Mars, she's out back counting stars

Love the album. Still have it though I've not played it in ages.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I sawthem once a long time ago they were good. I have you'd prefer an astronauht and I have always loved it.

A underated band.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    This is one of the first songs I ever learned to play on the guitar.

I like it and a couple of the other songs on that album.
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    Good song.Haven't heard it in awhile tho.....
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Good finds there. They sound really good on the live one.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Hum was a really good band, I enjoyed the "You'd Prefer an Austronaut" record quite a bit and "Downward is Heavenward" is even better. I never got around to picking up their first one.

Their first one, Elektra 2000 (or something like that), is good but doesn't shine like the later two. I still listen weekly.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    That song Stars could have been on Siamese Dream. Just a great freaking rock song. One of the best of the 90's. Great album. A friend still lists them as one of his favorite bands. I'll have to pull it out tonight when I get home a get a fix. Thanks for reminding me of that one!
  • Options
    vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    I remember when I first saw the video for "Stars", late '95, early '96? That would've put me around 15. Fast Forward 4 years later to '99, second semester of Freshman year of college. My roommate was on old friend from the neighborhood, who shared similar interest in music. we had just gotten into ordering cd's over the internet, but we had to go to a computer lab to do it. We'd never tell each other what we ordered, for pure shock value when the order arrived. So i get back to the dorms one day, to see that my latest purchase had arrived. I got upstairs and opened up the cardboard box to see that zebra on the cover of "You'd Prefer an Astronaut" staring at me. I popped it in the cd player and started playing some Nintendo. About a half hour later, my roommate gets back from class, and I hear from behind me "Dude. I didn't know that you had this." As I turned around saying "I just ordered it. It came in the mail today." I noticed he was holding a familiar cardboard box in his hand. he opened it, and sure enough it was the same Hum cd. We awoke that day with zero Hum cd's, and went to sleep that night with two.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    i dont know why, but i actually have the hum cd!
    so random!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I love this band. "Astronaut" and "Downward is Heavenward" are fantastic CDs.

Great live band, as well! When I saw them, they covered a Police song, and pretty much nobody recignized it.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Downward is Heavenward is a tremendous album. Great from top to bottom, too bad they had to split shortly after it came out.
  • Options
    one of the best bands ever.
  • Options
    rustyguitarrustyguitar Posts: 31
    My ex bf introduced me to HUM...probably the best thing he ever did for me. Unfortunately it wasn't really until near the end of the band's career. They were one of those bands that I never got to see live but would have loved to.
    I "waved to all my friends" at:
    Toronto 22/08/98 - Toronto 05/10/00 - Buffalo 02/05/03 - Toronto 28/06/03 - Montreal 29/06/03 - Kitchener 11/09/05 - London 12/09/05- Hamilton 13/09/05 - Montreal 15/09/05 - Ottawa 16/09/05 - Toronto 19/09/05 - Toronto 09/05/06 - Toronto 10/05/06 - Toronto 21/08/09