Options

Favorite Beatles Album?

adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I just downloaded all of the Beatles studio albums and am in the process of giving them all a listen. I've been a casual fan but never actually listened to all the albums. My Beatles knowledge is basically limited to a few greatest hits albums. I do have Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's on cd and prefer Abbey Road to what I have heard so far. So, what is everyone's favorite Beatles album?
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    revolver, rubber soul, and the white album are brilliant.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Revolver ...
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Abbey road and Revolver are my favourites.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    I just downloaded all of the Beatles studio albums and am in the process of giving them all a listen. I've been a casual fan but never actually listened to all the albums. My Beatles knowledge is basically limited to a few greatest hits albums. I do have Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's on cd and prefer Abbey Road to what I have heard so far. So, what is everyone's favorite Beatles album?

I already gave you my favourites, but I wanted to say, download
    "You know my name (Look up the number)". This is a really cool song from the anthology albums.
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:

"Rubber Soul" - Thats when the boys really started to mature both with lyrics and production/sound.
  • Options
    Ynkryggen wrote:
    "Rubber Soul" - Thats when the boys really started to mature both with lyrics and production/sound.

Hey a scandinaviansoul. Are you gonna see Motorpsycho this tour?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,851
    The White Album.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    revolver, rubber soul, and the white album are brilliant.

I agree....rubber soul was what got me started listening to them a lot more..then I heard revolver and the white album...definite classics
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Well, I've listened to the White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's and I would have to say that my favorite is Abbey Road. All are good, but that's my favorite.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I've always been a sucker for Magical Mystery Tour, and not seeing it mentioned here further proves my point that it may be the most underrated album in rock history.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    ....Abbey Road,

The second half even today in 2006 souns so fucking sweet and fresh...

Just beautiful beautiful music...great guitars and vocals....

....superb....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Revolver/White Album
    Her?
  • Options
    Duff_ManDuff_Man Posts: 150
    Help ! and Sgt Peppers .... are My faves
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Sgt Pepper followed closely by The White Album
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Abbey Road...'nuff said
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    wow, guess i have been on here awhile. the redundant question.

revolver, magical mystery tour, abbey road sgt. pepper, rubber soul, imo....

its too hard to name the best beatles album. sometimes i like early, sometimes, later stuff.....
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I'll say Revolver, but I love The White Album also. Has anyone heard the Esher sessions for The White Album? They're home demos, including George's songs Not Guilty and Sour Milk Sea, as well as Paul's song Junk and John's Child of Nature (which, with new words, became Jealous Guy later on).
  • Options
    Favourite Beatles Album?

I think it'd be easier to name our favourite children. ;)

I'd have to say Revolver and Rubber Soul.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Well, if I had to choose only one to listen to for the rest of my life, I'd say Rubber Soul. No wait, Help! No, Abbey Road. Or maybe the White Album. Possibly Abbey Road....or Let It Be.

Definitely Sgt. Pepper.

Though Revlolver wouldn't be bad either.....

I agree with I'll Ride The Wave.....it would be easier to name one's favorite child (which is real easy for me with only one, but you get the point)

Rubber Soul though is the one that got me interested in the drugged out Beatles. In My Life and Norwegian Wood are my absolute fave Beatles songs.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    revolver...........
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, and The White Album...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    adam42381 wrote:
    Well, I've listened to the White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's and I would have to say that my favorite is Abbey Road. All are good, but that's my favorite.

well, abbey road is the only album to rival no code for my all time fav. it is pretty flawless. i was thinking beyond that. there arent many albums in existence than can stack up to abbey road. the rest were more suggestions on further directiosn to explore. revolver is probably second. the white album is great, but there's some wierd stuff in there that makes it occasionally inconsistent... in an amazing sort of way.

whoever mentioned magical mystery tour is spot on. it's a great album, but it seems uneven. every song on there is class, but i think it feels not so gelled becos the last half is basically a collection of singles tacked onto an ep to make a full album. not that it's bad, it just doesnt feel like a coherent album the way abbey road or revolver or sgt pepper's does.

id also suggest past masters vol 2. it has some incredible songs. it's not a proper album really, but genius nonetheless.

i guess they're remastering the entire beatles catalogue now. there was an article recently about the beatles finally joining itunes, but that they wanted to wait until the albums had been properly remastered for re-release, so that people didnt buy the old versions then feel ripped off when the new ones came out. im going to buy the whole damn set when it comes out :)
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    well, abbey road is the only album to rival no code for my all time fav. it is pretty flawless. i was thinking beyond that. there arent many albums in existence than can stack up to abbey road. the rest were more suggestions on further directiosn to explore. revolver is probably second. the white album is great, but there's some wierd stuff in there that makes it occasionally inconsistent... in an amazing sort of way.

whoever mentioned magical mystery tour is spot on. it's a great album, but it seems uneven. every song on there is class, but i think it feels not so gelled becos the last half is basically a collection of singles tacked onto an ep to make a full album. not that it's bad, it just doesnt feel like a coherent album the way abbey road or revolver or sgt pepper's does.

id also suggest past masters vol 2. it has some incredible songs. it's not a proper album really, but genius nonetheless.

i guess they're remastering the entire beatles catalogue now. there was an article recently about the beatles finally joining itunes, but that they wanted to wait until the albums had been properly remastered for re-release, so that people didnt buy the old versions then feel ripped off when the new ones came out. im going to buy the whole damn set when it comes out :)

But weren't Strawberry Fields and co only stuck on in the STates originally.

Sgt Pepper for me and I've even grown to love With or Without You.
    Abbey road second and followed by A hard days night.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    adam42381 wrote:

rubber soul and revolver. please please me is great, too. ;)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Sgt. Pepper's or the white album. I've been listening to alot of Rubber Soul lately though.
  • Options
    It's tough to choose. I was brought up listening to the earlier songs like Hard Day's Night and Help! and I was only really exposed to their later stuff over the past two years. I'd have to say Abbey Road is my fave, followed by Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Help! All of their albums are great, obviously. Ken Jennings said that if he had to be stuck on an island with one album to listen to, it would be Abbey Road.
    Toronto '00, '02, '05, '06, '06, '09; Hamilton '05; Buffalo '10; TORONTO 2011 X 2!!

"I think it was John Lennon who said: "Life is what happens when you're making other plans.", and that's how I feel. Although he also said: "I am the Walrus I am the eggman" so I don't know what to believe."
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    White Album
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    fada wrote:
    But weren't Strawberry Fields and co only stuck on in the STates originally.

Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane was a double A side single in the UK in February 1967. Magical Mystery Tour was released in the UK as a double 7 inch EP (extended play) set in December 1967. It was released a few days beforehand in the US as an LP: The EP stuff took up Side 1, and Side 2 comprised Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Baby You're a Rich Man, All You Need Is Love, and a couple of others I forget for now.
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    mine always used to be Let it Be. but over the past few years it's grown into a tie between Let it Be and Revolver. Magical Mystery Tour is 3rd for me. Just gotta have me some Blue Jay Way...one of my fav. Beatles tunes.
    Live Free or Die!